Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  257
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Rory Lobb

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yep, Lobb is a seasoned AFL footballer who has a big engine and can play forward and ruck. He's miles ahead of Buku as Naughton's replacement. IMO.

I would also deploy English a kick behind down back when he is not rucking, and go smaller and less predictable when Lobb takes his turn in ruck
    I just don't understand the constant running down of Lobb. He was the main target playing at 96% game time as pretty much a permanent forward at Freo, kicks 38 goals. Comes to us and gets 83% game time as the third forward and kicks one a game or whatever, and it's like he's completely shit.

Lobb is an excellent second ruck, and an excellent focal point. Without Naughton he will have an opportunity to show that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes anfo27, Sedat, Bullies, Mofra, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I just don't understand the constant running down of Lobb. He was the main target playing at 96% game time as pretty much a permanent forward at Freo, kicks 38 goals. Comes to us and gets 83% game time as the third forward and kicks one a game or whatever, and it's like he's completely shit.

Lobb is an excellent second ruck, and an excellent focal point. Without Naughton he will have an opportunity to show that.
    A lot of clubs would love him as their key forward and we are in a fortunate position to have him replace our key forward. Would love to him shoot the lights out and it is also in our interest he plays well as it will increase his currency at the end of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

So what’s happened here?

He’s the leading goal kicker at Freo. 21 games for 36 goals in 2022.
    He’s played 23 games for 25 goals in 1.5 years at Dogs.

Where did it go wrong?

Game plan?
    I50 Entries?
    Attitude?
    Different forward mix?
    Role/s with us?
    Other?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So what’s happened here?

Where did it go wrong?

Game plan?
    I50 Entries?
    Attitude?
    Different forward mix?
    Role/s with us?
    Other?
    Who was he competiting against in the Fremantle forward line? I think part of it is that he has a few more talented big tall targets in Darcy, Naughton and Marra and English.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Who was he competiting against in the Fremantle forward line? I think part of it is that he has a few more talented big tall targets in Darcy, Naughton and Marra and English.
    Conversely, did he then get the best defender at Freo? Then not with us?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

36 goals in 21 games isn’t *that* great is it?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    36 goals in 21 games isn’t *that* great is it?
    BG +10
    In his debut year, Gowers was the leading goal kicker for the Western Bulldogs by kicking 26 goals out of 20 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    BG +10
    In his debut year, Gowers was the leading goal kicker for the Western Bulldogs by kicking 26 goals out of 20 games.
    Don’t worry I haven’t forgotten.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Darcy is a freak. That's all that's gone wrong really.

We did mismanage his ankle a bit in the first pre-season too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Sedat, hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So what’s happened here?

Where did it go wrong?

Game plan?
    I50 Entries?
    Attitude?
    Different forward mix?
    Role/s with us?
    Other?
    I mentioned when his name was being linked with us that the challenge might be from his number 1 key forward spot at Fremantle to the number 3 with us. Less opportunities was very likely to result in less goals. Of course Darcy's form over summer was a challenge as well. He's done okay as the back-up ruckman though and I won't mind if we hold our ground with him and we either get a good offer or he stays. I've seen no drop off with his attitude at training and he's popular with the other players. I get that he wants to play senior football and his opportunities with us aren't as guaranteed as they might be at a couple of other sides.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I mentioned when his name was being linked with us that the challenge might be from his number 1 key forward spot at Fremantle to the number 3 with us. Less opportunities was very likely to result in less goals. Of course Darcy's form over summer was a challenge as well. He's done okay as the back-up ruckman though and I won't mind if we hold our ground with him and we either get a good offer or he stays. I've seen no drop off with his attitude at training and he's popular with the other players. I get that he wants to play senior football and his opportunities with us aren't as guaranteed as they might be at a couple of other sides.
    Yes...but also, Darcy is averaging 1.9 goals a game playing that same role. So while I was of the same mind as you last year, seeing Darcy this year could be taken as evidence that Lobb also hasn't made the most of the opportunities available/the fact he isn't getting the best defender

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

‘Can’t be gifted that position’: Great’s issue with Rory Lobb’s trade request from Western Bulldogs

Saints legend Nick Dal Santo has hit back at the idea that the Western Bulldogs haven’t delivered their promise to Rory Lobb as he seeks a trade to a fourth club at season’s end.

Lobb is reportedly set to ask to be traded away from Whitten Oval with two years left on his deal. Reports state the 31-year old is frustrated after being told he was set to play a key role in the Dogs’ forward line in a personal pitch from Luke Beveridge before crossing to the club at the end of 2022.

The 207cm ex-Docker and Giant has booted 25 goals from 23 games for the Dogs – including one major from three appearances this season – starting the year in the senior side over Sam Darcy.

No matter what Lobb was told before moving to the Kennel, Dal Santo believes it’s incumbent on both parties to hold themselves to a certain standard.

“I don’t like the storyline that he was almost promised a position in the forward line. You have to earn your spot every week,” Dal Santo told foxfooty.com.au.

“It’s not fair to say to Luke Beveridge: ‘You told me I was going to play an integral role’.

“If your performance doesn’t warrant it, you need to have integrity in selection as well. You can’t just be gifted that position because you were told you would.

“Near Lobb’s best, he probably is in their best team and an integral piece for them. But that doesn’t mean you just get it because someone said it to you, you’ve got to go out and earn it.

“I’ve got no issue with it from a Beveridge perspective and I’ve got no issue with Lobb saying: ‘I just want to play senior football. If that means at a fourth club, so be it’.”

It comes as Lobb is in line for a senior reprieve with Aaron Naughton facing up to six weeks on the sidelines with a medial ligament injury to open up a key forward role in Beveridge’s side.

It reportedly still won’t affect Lobb’s determination to find a new home at the end of the season though in an early trade domino.

While such instances are rare in the AFL landscape, Dal Santo thinks it’s the way of the future and should be normalised moving forward like in other sporting codes.

“I think there’s a piece around this being the new age and the world we’re living in,” the St Kilda champion said.

“Other sports do it and are very mature about it, ruby league coaches even do it. Our industry doesn’t.

“But I think we’re mature enough to understand that players are exploring moves behind the scenes, this one is just more public. I’ve got no issue with it.”

Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Collingwood are the clubs said to be in the mix for a key forward/ruck player, though none have been linked specifically to Lobb.

Dal Santo suggested the Magpies and Kangaroos make the most sense as landing spots of those clubs, but ultimately thinks Lobb needs to make his own luck wherever he’s playing in 2025.

“My take broadly on any player is if you’re a good player, you play anywhere,” he said.

“You’ve got to accept where you are, but if you want to be the main man, you’ve got to do more than you’ve done.”

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

They're running out of things to hit us with if this is being framed as us breaking a promise to him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

THE CONVERSATION LOBB HAD WITH BEVERIDGE FOLLOWING TRADE REPORT

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has responded to reports that Rory Lobb is set to request a trade at the end of the year.

Channel 9 journalist Tom Morris detailed on Sunday night that the 31-year-old forward will request a trade out of Whitten Oval at the end of the season as the out-of-favour forward battles form and seeks more senior footy.

However, Beveridge says Lobb approached him after the report came to light and said the comments didn?t reflect how he was feeling and was apologetic to the senior coach who was unaware of the reports.

?He came in and saw me and I wasn?t even aware of it and he was looking at me as if he?s walked into the principal?s office,? Beveridge told reporters at a Wednesday press conference.

?He was quite apologetic and even embarrassed by it and I just reassured him that if that?s what?s transpiring you know whether it?s rumour or innuendo or if it?s actually factual. It doesn?t matter to me because you?re one of our people and one of our players and we will take care of you and you?ll still continue to play AFL footy when your form is right and there?s a spot there for you.

?I just reassured him about that, and I think he was a little bit embarrassed by some of the public stuff that went out there.

?It didn?t reflect his chain of thought because he?s absolutely committed here and anything that happens post-season happens post-season.

?I think he was just trying to reassure me that anything like that about him was a bit distasteful and unsavoury and won?t get in the way of his application.?

With Aaron Naughton missing this weekend due to a knee injury, Beveridge says Lobb will most likely line up on Friday night against Collingwood at Marvel Stadium.

?Most likely with Aaron Naughton coming out of the team and Lobb playing well at state league level,? Beveridge added.

Lobb has played three senior games in 2024 and 23 total for the Dogs since joining from Fremantle prior to the 2023 season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks Smads57, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good response. I'd bet he's learned a lot from the Stringer times