Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Centre Half Forward: Marcus Bontempelli?

t seems like we're going to need to find a way to make our forward line function without Naughton for a while, and that might be key in how the rest of 2024 pans out.

Lobb seems the obvious replacement, but in a game dictated by rebounding defenders, I don't think we can play Lobb and Darcy together especially when losing Naughton's forward pressure and agility.

We're also juggling how to give inside midfielders time on the inside. Over the next month, we're going to have Ed Richards and Libba back into the midfield mix, I thought Macrae was very good playing inside against the Giants, and then we have Garcia and Sanders who clearly do their best work at the coal face.

Before last night, Bont was running at 80% centre bounce attendance.

Now I don't want to shoot Bambi, and he has still had a very good season compared to mere mortals, but this isn't the Bont of 2023. I don't think he's in the All Australian conversation at the moment, and I think Treloar has had the more influential season and Richards has been better since moving into the midfield.

Is the answer for Bont to play full-time key forward, taking Naughton's spot in the forward line?

Kicking for goal aside - his marking has been exceptional this year and he's far and away the best kick in the side, particularly to a leading forward. He'll give us more mobility than someone like Lobb and even though he doesn't have Naughton's manic agility, he'll be incredibly dangerous at ground level. I think he's a very difficult match-up for oppo key backs.

Pending what Naughton's scans look like, I'd be playing Bont full-time forward, and breaking up his midfield minutes between our band of inside mids that are being starved for minutes at the moment - as well as Richards and Libba when they return in the next few weeks.

2. Likes GVGjr, macca, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Centre Half Forward: Marcus Bontempelli?

I was talking to a friend about this at the game last night. I think for the best team balance Bont has to spend more time forward. I think we wont just miss Naughtons aeriel pressence but also his defensive efforts once the ball hits the ground. My feel is that Bont can offer us something in the air and can certainly be a defensive pressence.

I dont think its robbing Peter to pay Paul if we do this as it creates oppurtunity and with Libba coming back we should still be well represented in the middle.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

4. Likes GVGjr, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine all those behinds he could kick!

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Imagine all those behinds he could kick!
    He'd fit right in...

Wonder if that does improve if he's not racking up the midfield kilometers.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Full time forward - absolutely not. Take one of the best midfielders in the game an make him a good but not great forward - no thanks.

More forward time like last night, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Good call. Given where we are at, I think it make sense while Naughton is out.

Also not a fan of playing Lobb/Darcy/Marra together - might as well call it Trampoline Football Club because we'll be rebounded against at will.
    W00F!

11. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Full time forward - absolutely not. Take one of the best midfielders in the game an make him a good but not great forward - no thanks.

I think the move would be about making the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

We're stacked with inside mids who we'll get more out of by actually playing them on the inside.

Our forwards at Footscray are Lobb (if we go tall, which I think is too tall), Charlie Clarke, Bedendo and Arty Jones - none of whom are deserving of selection at AFL level.

And not to be too harsh, but is 2024 Marcus Bontempelli one of the 'best midfielders in the game'? I think he looks banged up and Treloar has outperformed him as our best mid this year.

I'm not talking about about a permanent shift - I'm talking about a shift that covers Naughton in a way that is best for the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Like this idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Right! How has Bont become less important as our best mid in the last couple of weeks?

Some time forward resting is fine by me. But not permanent. God no.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Treloar is benefitting from Bont's inside work who has taken on more of Libba's role while he has been out.
    I do think we don't need Lobb in the forward line with Darcy.
    If Lobb comes in may be Darcy goes back although mobility could be a problem.
    Buku could come in for Naughton but we will lose that defensive pressure Naughton brings but that will be the same whoever you bring in.
    Bont forward has merit and could be where he ends up in a couple of years time to extend his career.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I think the move would be about making the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

We're stacked with inside mids who we'll get more out of by actually playing them on the inside.

Our forwards at Footscray are Lobb (if we go tall, which I think is too tall), Charlie Clarke, Bedendo and Arty Jones - none of whom are deserving of selection at AFL level.

And not to be too harsh, but is 2024 Marcus Bontempelli one of the 'best midfielders in the game'? I think he looks banged up and Treloar has outperformed him as our best mid this year.

I'm not talking about about a permanent shift - I'm talking about a shift that covers Naughton in a way that is best for the side.
    All fair points but I disagree.

Bont has still been excellent, just not 2023 level.

We are all excited by the triple Rs but I don't think they can carry too much of the load week in week out for the next 2 months if Naughty is out that long. Yes Libba and Ed should return in the next 2-3 weeks but I think no Bont in the midfield will make us worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Good call. Given where we are at, I think it make sense while Naughton is out.

Also not a fan of playing Lobb/Darcy/Marra together - might as well call it Trampoline Football Club because we'll be rebounded against at will.
    Umm - Richards is out as well though so we do need some midfield help.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba, Bont and Ed is a lot of midfield quality to lack at one time.

We could run with just Marra and Darcy, and have Bont forward when Darcy chops out English. I'd actually consider Khamis as a leading forward as he's mobile and we'd be rewarding VFL form.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually thinking about this after the game last night, still spend some time in the middle but the majority of it play Naughton's role, probably not so much next game v Collingwood as Richards will miss, but the following weeks for sure, until Ed had to go off he was just unbelievable again, and getting better in the middle each game and the effect he has is so bloody valuable to the side, the blend last night before the injuries was great and it seems the more we play Ed in the middle and Naughton up the ground the better the team looks, plus with Ed's dominance, he was best on by a long way imo up until he got concussed, the reliance on Bont isn't as great therefor, keep the same structure until Naughton comes back because it was working......