Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  41
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garcia v Gallagher

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I've always liked Garcia. Loved his intensity and pace and was always keen to have him as backup.

But have to admit he's exceeding expectations.
    He is a tough little bugger. Not much of him. I stood next to him at a VFL match last year he was in the crowd with mates, and not much of him.

Edit. Just saw Mofra say the same thing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I've always liked Garcia. Loved his intensity and pace and was always keen to have him as backup.

But have to admit he's exceeding expectations.
    Yeah, his endeavour's his most appealing trait, never an unwelcome ingredient with this bunch, but he'd always struck me as pretty rustic with ball in hand and a bit scattergun around the contest but I've undersold him, he's executing well at the level, seems to relish the pressure and added a nice dose of dare and ferocity to our on-ball mix.

It's been said before, we lost a certain edge when the blokes like Clay Smith hung them up.

Perhaps we're slowly reacquiring a new one.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes Uninformed, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in on Garcia heading into 2023 but then he played maybe the full on worst game of all time against Brisbane and I gave up.

Last night was a tremendous effort. He’s got a turn of pace away from stoppage that usually lets you do good stuff (the Swans have one of these guys and he kicked 4 last night). I think it’s time with him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Yeah, his endeavour's his most appealing trait, never an unwelcome ingredient with this bunch, but he'd always struck me as pretty rustic with ball in hand and a bit scattergun around the contest but I've undersold him, he's executing well at the level, seems to relish the pressure and added a nice dose of dare and ferocity to our on-ball mix.

It's been said before, we lost a certain edge when the blokes like Clay Smith hung them up.

Perhaps we're slowly reacquiring a new one.
    I love his evasive ability too. Some real agility to go with his pace, sure ball handling and hardness. Looking really good.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigger picture, it's fascinating; we've been stubbornly sweating on the 'the best midfield in the comp' to drag us back to the promised land since 2016 while watching it plateau, shed personnel, fail crucial tests and in many ways become our very predictable achilles heel.

Cue a few change ups of both the forced + unforced variety and it suddenly feels like a sense of possibility's been unlocked.

And you wonder if a perennially banged-up Bont is the most relieved of all about this.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully he and West see more midfield time

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I was in on Garcia heading into 2023 but then he played maybe the full on worst game of all time against Brisbane and I gave up.

Last night was a tremendous effort. He’s got a turn of pace away from stoppage that usually lets you do good stuff (the Swans have one of these guys and he kicked 4 last night). I think it’s time with him.
    Fast feet. It’s Cooney like how he takes a bunch of little steps really quickly to get the power through the legs to keep himself upright and evade opponents.

His field kicking and vision / decision making on the entry kick is sublime too.

Big future if he can get continuity as G said.

12. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Fast feet. It?s Cooney like how he takes a bunch of little steps really quickly to get the power through the legs to keep himself upright and evade opponents.

His field kicking and vision / decision making on the entry kick is sublime too.

Big future if he can get continuity as G said.
    Garcia's ability to drive his legs in congestion and burst away is a trait that separates the best players in the comp.

As per my frustrations in creating this thread I thought he was being underutilized by playing solely as a small forward as we seriously need some speed in the middle... probably out of necessity he was played on-ball in the last qtr and he showed his worth in that part of the ground.

More of that please and thank-you.... and for ****s sake, get him re-signed yesterday!

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even state media ran with it this morning:

5) Injuries have highlighted the Dogs' depth

Against Sydney on Thursday, despite being down to just two available players on the bench by the final quarter, the Western Bulldogs found a dangerous gear late. Already without powerhouse Tom Liberatore as he battles ongoing concussion concerns, the Dogs lost emerging midfield weapon Ed Richards early in the third term after a head clash and, with Aaron Naughton also injured, opted to shift Marcus Bontempelli into attack. With a dearth of first-choice midfielders available to support Adam Treloar at the contest, coach Luke Beveridge relied on young trio Ryley Sanders, Rhylee West and Riley Garcia to offer a spark, and it was to great effect. With that new mix around the ball, the Bulldogs dominated territory and seriously challenged Sydney's defence to almost snatch a surprise victory. While the return of Liberatore and Richards, when available, will be warmly welcomed, Dogs fans have been given a glance at the depth the side boasts for the long term. – Gemma Bastiani
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks Glove38 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

In the past 3 games these 2 have averaged:

Player A -21 disposals + 1 goal per game
    Player B - 18 disposals + 0.3 goals per game

One gets a shiny new 2yr contract and the other gets rissoled back to Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Bump.

In the past 3 games these 2 have averaged:

Player A -21 disposals + 1 goal per game
    Player B - 18 disposals + 0.3 goals per game

One gets a shiny new 2yr contract and the other gets rissoled back to Footscray.
    They’re largely being asked to play different roles and one had a slightly down week last week.

I’m disappointed Garcia was dropped as we should absolutely be continuing to invest in him (and getting him into midfield rotations) but I’m not losing sleep over the comparison this week.

19. Likes kickit2Koly, WBFC4FFC, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind Bevo telling me exactly how Gallagher has brought more of the things that he outlined in his presser vs what Garcia has brought. Specifically "the quality of possession" and "the aspects of team defense". Because it appears to me that the vast majority of possessions Gallagher has had in the last 8 weeks have not been quality, and his blatant turnovers directly affect the entire team defense. Gallagher must be off their charts for what he is doing "when he is not involved in the game".

Post Thanks / Like

So the toys back in the cot here or
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

22. Likes EasternWest, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So the toys back in the cot here or
    And Bramble has played well. Tough day for the haters.
    "It's over. It's all over."

24. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Uninformed, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    And Bramble has played well. Tough day for the haters.
    Especially the Rhylee West ones.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

26. Likes EasternWest, Uninformed liked this post