Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 11, 2024 vs Sydney

This is the Round 11, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this evening's game against Sydney has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 11, 2024 vs Sydney

B

Our best was good for a while and fought to the end
    Ed looked great before injury
    Despite all the bloody injuries we still generated more shots at goal

A

Goal kicking
    Easy goals to them in the first half
    Injuries
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 23-05-2024 at 11:01 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    West, Garcia, Gallagher, Freijah all have promising futures.
    Ed Richards BOG imo until he went off, no coincidence that Warner then got off the chain.
    Rylee West, another good game, 6 tackles, 3 clearances

Anchors
    Injuries, wish them all well in recovery.
    Daniel, Macrae, Keath all seem past it.
    Umpire 32 Jacob Mollison vying for the worst decision in the season thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

The young guys really stood up in the last quarter, showed great promise.

Richards seems to have found his true calling in the midfield.

With Naughton going down, what happens then? JUH really stands up.

Anchors

Both Bramble and Keith are not AFL standard.

We will not really go forward until we can fix our goalkicking and make the most of our opportunities.

Injuries to 2 of our best players is more than disappointing, but it is happening across the AFL. Check out the Pies coach press conference during the week about that. Very interesting.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. The 3 Rileys. I thought it was the best game yet for the one of the Sanders variety. He wasn’t overawed and he tackles with intent.
    2. The grit and determination, when the margin was 5 goals and we’d made some blues, to keep fighting and clawing and going for it. I’ll take that every day.
    3. Could be overlooked because of his injury but Red’s first half was terrific. A real point of difference.

Anchors.
    1. That VDM 50. OMG.
    2. Mistakes by our experienced players that led to goals. Keath and Jones unable to spirit the ball over the line, Keath knocks it out of bounds for an “insufficient intent” free that in the unlikely event that I ever became an umpire, even I would have been forced to pay. GOAL. Jones and Duryea’s horrendous blunder when both flew for the ball. GOAL. Bailey Dale missing a sitter. Bont missing one that a bloke of his talent should have nailed. We all like to focus on mistakes from the likes of Bramble and Gallagher but these were all disappointing.
    3. Injuries. Cruel. And even with all of the above, they cost us the match.

Special mention : 5 day breaks and Sydney supporters.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B

- the fight and endeavour. First time we?ve really looked like we wanted to win this year
    - Richards, Jones, Keath and Darcy
    - the young midfield rotation after Richards went down

A
    - injuries
    - goal kicking and general efficiency inside F50
    - the umpiring in the last quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Garcia, West, Sanders - future looks bright

2. JUH marking, especially the one he grabbed with one hand then two.

3. Team - guts to stick to it after they started running out of legs, rotations reduced and 5 day break

Anchors

1. Injuries - really killed us

2. Goal kicking - atrocious - must take your chances.

3. Defending - I thought we could have done better, we allowed too many easy marks inside 50
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Bevo. Well coached tonight with good planning, and strong adjustments given our predicament.

2. Jamarra - new he had to step up and be the main man with Naughton off.

3. Sanders tackling. Loved his improved commitment when he didn't have the ball.

Anchors

1. Naughty's knee

2. Concussions at the start of each half

3. When is a tackle dangerous and when is it not? AFL needs closer inspection of Swans' technique.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Effort: they players did not give up and ran hard all game. Sydney are a team that do not give you any space and are crazy disciplined. You have to concentrate all the time. We took it to them and would have won if we could kick straight and not cop umpire bias.
    2. New midfield mix: Richards, West, Sanders, Garcia and Gallagher. Really liked what I saw.
    3. Good telling marks; Darcy, Jones and JUH.

Anchors:
    1. injuries, just really unlucky. Hoping all the boys will make fast recovery
    2. Utter BS umpires. The VDM call , that umpire should be fired.
    3. Composure. We are still a young team, but gee need to execute the set shots under pressure. Also the inside kicks to fwd line, we are total hopeless still at it. Not sure how they get trained for composure. A couple of times, some younger players were free on the lead and they were not honored. West made a very hard lead into the wing, and VDM just ignored him.
    IF a spud like Amarty can get a few goals, our fwd structure and running patterns does not seem right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Bankers

1. Bevo. Well coached tonight with good planning, and strong adjustments given our predicament.

2. Jamarra - new he had to step up and be the main man with Naughton off.

3. Sanders tackling. Loved his improved commitment when he didn't have the ball.

Anchors

1. Naughty's knee

2. Concussions at the start of each half

3. When is a tackle dangerous and when is it not? AFL needs closer inspection of Swans' technique.
    The tackle is a cleverly disguised trip. The Tackler leverages the tacklee's body, by wrapping his leg around his opponents leg. I believe theese are illegal in rugby

12. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post