Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Minson - Too short to ever be a really effective ruckman?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I have been watching the centre bounces pretty closely over the last few weeks - and the recurring them is that when Minson is in the middle - we get it out. I much prefer him to be in the centre square if we aren't going well during a game - and his thumps forward or sidewards really clear it out well and get us running.
    I thought he was very good against Geelong in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Minson is 198 cm's

Add his agression, leap and strength and he is easily 'tall' enough to be an AFL level ruckman

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see we've finally got some ruckmen. In a few years time, Cordy to ruck in the forward line and stay there. Big Will/Roughead to ruck and work defensively to sure up our defense. Sounds good to me

Post Thanks / Like

I think Will is our best ruckman, and that generally when we get a run on Will is in the middle for most of it. He's not necessarily the best ruckman at stopping opposition clearances, but he is very good at creating our own centre clearances. If you compare him to Hudson, I see Hudson more as the minimiser, who tries to minimise the efficiency and effectiveness of the opposition clearances not through his ruckwork, but his second efforts. Minson on the other hand lacks that defenseive ability in the centre, but often creates something either with his big bashes forward or by grabbing it out of the ruck. I'm fine if he gets caught occasionally, as I feel that it works more often than not, and often it works fairly well, as long as he picks his moments carefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I must say I haven't paid that much notice, but on Friday Will was in the centre when he grabbed it from the bounce & was pinged. Richmond goaled from that & took away the next 4 clearences whilst Will was in there.

Be interesting to see the stats on how many centre clearences we have won & who was the ruckman on those occassions.
    The first two (including the HTB free) were Will, the next 3 were Huddo.

The last one (right before 1/2 time) was Will again and we won the last clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

We are number 1 in the league for first possessions so the two ruckmen must be doing something right along with the guys around the stoppages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    We are number 1 in the league for first possessions so the two ruckmen must be doing something right along with the guys around the stoppages.
    I would think Minson is a big reason for this, he seems to have improved his tapwork in the off season. I Should think Boyd's improvement is another factor, with Picken letting him concentrate more on getting the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I would think Minson is a big reason for this, he seems to have improved his tapwork in the off season. I Should think Boyd's improvement is another factor, with Picken letting him concentrate more on getting the ball.
    Also Minson is now starting to mature as a player. We have always said the big guys take longer to develop. Minson's ruck work in the past 4 weeks has been fantastic.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tap outs, 23 possies, 3 goals straight. Stand out game for him. Wilbur is really coming into his element this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Best game I've ever seen him play. Lade & Brogan aren't exactly hacks, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Best game I've ever seen him play.
    By a fair margin too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Tap outs, 23 possies, 3 goals straight. Stand out game for him. Wilbur is really coming into his element this year.
    We need him to this, in a prelim final.

Post Thanks / Like

Minson has had a very good season so far. His ruck work has been very good and he's having a presence around the ground and at stoppages. The influence of Hudson is clearly rubbing off on Minson and it's improved his game a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this thread is as good a place as any to acknowledge the work of our ruck coach Johnny Barnes.

He has to take a lot of credit for Will's improved ruckwork, as well as the entire centrebounce set up for different styles of ruckmen in Will and Huddo. This also holds Ayce and Roughy in good stead, as they will be learning from one of the best in the business.