Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helping us out versus creating a monster

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Brisbane do look good and have quite a few 1st 22 players to come back into their team.

If we learnt anything last year it was that season defining games occur only in the finals (unless you are struggling to make the finals which we shouldn't be).

Personally I couldn't care less how we go in our clash at the GABBA although I will be there so hopefully we have a win. Double standards I know, but purely for selfish reasons.
    I take your general sentiment, but 'only' in finals is too much i would suggest. Look at North Melbourne last year, who were looking at 4th and 2 bad games, and they dropped to bottom of the 8 and were gone. Converseley, St Kilda. In their last game the 100+ point win propelled them into 4th spot. St Kilda were always going to make the finals, but that game got them top 4 and a pre-lim final.

For us if we are still not a few games clear in 3rd, a loss against Brisbane could bring us back the chasing pack the difference between 3rd and the rest wont be like last year where the last few games were 'dead rubbers'. Hence, a win in Brisbane 'could' be the difference between cementing top a top 4 finish or the possibility of scrapping it out week to week in the run home to finish top 4.

Either way, if you're up there supporting the boys i hope you get a win too!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I take your general sentiment, but 'only' in finals is too much i would suggest. Look at North Melbourne last year, who were looking at 4th and 2 bad games, and they dropped to bottom of the 8 and were gone. Converseley, St Kilda. In their last game the 100+ point win propelled them into 4th spot. St Kilda were always going to make the finals, but that game got them top 4 and a pre-lim final.

For us if we are still not a few games clear in 3rd, a loss against Brisbane could bring us back the chasing pack the difference between 3rd and the rest wont be like last year where the last few games were 'dead rubbers'. Hence, a win in Brisbane 'could' be the difference between cementing top a top 4 finish or the possibility of scrapping it out week to week in the run home to finish top 4.

Either way, if you're up there supporting the boys i hope you get a win too!
    Yeah I get your points, if we are struggling to hold onto a top 4 spot then it's a game we hopefully win, but I think that we have enough winnable games around this clash that should ensure we are already there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather keep the teams below us a bit further away then be one game closer to the Saints at this stage, having said that ideally I'd like us to not be relying on other team's results to help us along. I was barracking for the Saints, I would have never heard the end of it if Carlton had won (I, like most people, know a few unbearable Carlton supporters, one of which put $300 on the Blues on Friday...I can't stand the team or, as a general rule, their fans).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I saw Essendon split the saints wide open and since then Brisbane, North and now Carlton have all had really good patches against them. Someone will get them soon. They are 1 or 2 bad injuries away from imploding I reckon. They have to have a lot of faith in the current game plan they are using...what happens if someone unlocks it?

Yep, I agree DT. I reckon they are sputtering badly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, I agree DT. I reckon they are sputtering badly.
    They are one of the most out of form 12-0 sides in history.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hate the Saints to just finish on top of the Cats by percentage and us finish 3rd. I know it would mean that the Saints are playing great footy and all that but unless the Cats get a truck load of injuries, I would prefer to play the Saints over them no matter what the ladder says. I think the Saints will be chasing regular season wins a lot harder than the Cats.
    Ironically, the loss to the Cats might end up helping us.

That being said, I think the Saints will drop a few games. From round 14-19 they have the Cats, Eagles @ Subi, Crows, Dogs, Sydney @ SCG and Hawks. I can definitely see them dropping a couple of those games.

Post Thanks / Like

I felt sorry for Chris Judd - he was desperate to get them over the line even with a broken nose and bleeding everywhere - gutsy effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I would hate the Saints to just finish on top of the Cats by percentage and us finish 3rd.
    Bit of a catch 22 that one, beat the Cats & we are into a GF, lose & we avoid Geelong in a PF (assuming we win in week 2).

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to win a grand final you have to beat both. It doesn't really matter which order.

The smoky is Hawthorn. If they were to finish 6th or 7th and then hit form they could really do some damage to the 2nd v 3rd loser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    If you're going to win a grand final you have to beat both. It doesn't really matter which order.

The smoky is Hawthorn. If they were to finish 6th or 7th and then hit form they could really do some damage to the 2nd v 3rd loser.
    Hawks will be lucky to make the 8 this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I hope so.

The last thing we want is for them to find form in the last 6-8 weeks of the season and finish 6th or 7th as SS suggested earlier.

Hence why I was glad to see the lions beat them on the weekend.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I hope they don't.