Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ins and outs v Bombers

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We appear to match-up pretty well against Geelong in the back half. The only worry for mine is Morris on Johnson. The last 3 times, Johnson's been far too agile and is probably the only player in the competition Morris has struggled with.

Perhaps Hargrave should be given first chance?
    I'd still go Morris on Johnson as first choice as he is pure stopper, and Shaggy off the HB line has been leading our possession count (or near enough to it) over the past month.

I'm very conscious of Geelong's ability to play & cover for each other all over the field and I'm don't think we will be able to counter a clogged HF line without Harbrow running off, and Gilbee & Hargrave being the most likely to kick long. If our F50 entries are left to our "second tier" users of the ball (ie Morris, Picken, Cross) we will struggle to put a score on the board. I'd say the same about the Saints, Pies & Crows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Just going through the player list we may end up having Stokes as the only suitable match-up for Harbrow.
    Shannon Byrnes or Travis Varcoe perhaps
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Alot will depend if Geelong play two talls or not - a Geelong forwardline with Hawkins & Mooney leaves Morris, Shaggy, Gilbee & Harbrow as the remaining backman (assuming Lake & Williams are in the side).

If we have the luxury of trying Shaggy first on Stokes by putting Morris on Stevie J, throw Gilbee on Rooke then we'd have Harbrow remining to go to perhaps Varcoe who I don't think is as good in the air as Stokes. Shaggy would get 2nd crack at Stevie J, however if Chapman goes forward Harbrow will be too light for him & that would force a re-shuffle.

Just going through the player list we may end up having Stokes as the only suitable match-up for Harbrow.

I would expect that Harbrow is one who gets alot of attention from Geelong because his run could cut ribbons through their zone; moreso than even Gilbee's or Shaggy's footskills.
    Nah, I'd prefer:

Hawkins: Williams
    Mooney: Lake
    Johnson: Hargrave
    Rooke: Gilbee
    Varcoe: Harbrow
    Chapman: Morris

When Chapman moves to the midfield and Stokes comes forward Morris simply swaps opponents over. I think Hargrave is the best option for Johnson by a mile, and we need to keep Harbrow on Varcoe as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Nah, I'd prefer:

When Chapman moves to the midfield and Stokes comes forward Morris simply swaps opponents over. I think Hargrave is the best option for Johnson by a mile, and we need to keep Harbrow on Varcoe as much as possible.
    I agree. I can't believe people are still pushing for Morris on Johnson who absolutely towels him up.

As mentioned by others, Harbrow can play on Varcoe/Burns. Stokes is not a problem with any of our other backmen. The match-ups above will do me.

The only issue is if Ottens moves down into the forward line making three talls in which case, Morris goes to Hawkins and Williams to Ottens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Nah, I'd prefer:

The only match up I would change is lake to hawkins and williams on Mooney as mooney plays up the ground more and lake is better inside defensive 50. Lake could also be less accountable on hawkins allowing him to cut off Johnson, stokes, and chapman as those three tend to be their main avenue to goal

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why we are collating potential match-ups with the Cats - St Kilda is the undisputed competition benchmark in 2009 and we are far more likely to be playing them in the first week of September than Geelong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Not sure why we are collating potential match-ups with the Cats - St Kilda is the undisputed competition benchmark in 2009 and we are far more likely to be playing them in the first week of September than Geelong.
    Not undisputed for mine; they beat Geelong without their best forward weapon (Johnson) and won by 6 points. I wouldn't be writing off the Cats so quickly

And we still need to see how some of the Saints softies line up when it counts; especially big Kosi and Goddard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Not undisputed for mine; they beat Geelong without their best forward weapon (Johnson) and won by 6 points. I wouldn't be writing off the Cats so quickly

And we still need to see how some of the Saints softies line up when it counts; especially big Kosi and Goddard
    Up to Round 15 (and the future is mere specilation), St Kilda are comfortably ahead of Geelong - they have beaten their opponents far more easily (Dogs and Pies in particular) than Geelong has done. They have won 2 more games than Geelong. Their percentage is far superior. And they beat Geelong fair and square, something that has occured 4 times in 59 matches (S Johnson was missing but St Kilda were without their best ruckman and a starting 18 key defender).

The lack of respect in the wider football public for St Kilda ATM is puzzling. They literally could not have done more than they have done so far this season. I'm not writing Geelong off at all but I take my hat off to how St Kilda have performed so far this season. The question of whether or not S Kilda can maintain their punishing and taxing defensive game plan for another couple of months is valid, but it is just as valid a question to ask how Geelong's forward line set-up, ruck division minus Ottens and ageing defence will cope for the remainder of the season.