Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone rate Essendon? Are you worried?

I don't really rate Essendon ( I suspect this is more so because I want to believe forever that they will be crap), but I am worried, yes.

But I worry every week. Definately need this win.

Post Thanks / Like

They are a different challenge to what a lot of other teams present to us. I expect us to win but we won't be able to beat them with just one quarter of football.

Post Thanks / Like

Heard today on the radio that Rocket wouldn't be suprised if it turns into a shoot out! Lets hope we can shoot straighter

shortydaniels Guest

Rocket is saying it will be a shootout, that makes me suspect otherwise. The teams that have beaten Essendon this year have closed them down rather than try to go hammer and tongs with them. Dogs should look closely at Bombers' losses to Brisbane, North Melbourne and Collingwood the other week.

Post Thanks / Like

We really need to get off to a good start against this mob. We cant rely on our fitness to run over them like we have done to a few sides this year. I must admit i am a little worried about this game, when Essendon come to play they are a very good side.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have expected Sydney to be the type of side to dominate them, as their games always contain plenty of stoppages where their inside players can win the ball and dictate play. Some interesting comments from the match report below - finding space on such a small ground and being able to switch gears shows they are developing their game plan well

http://www.afl.com.au/Results/tabid/...fixtureid=5146

But Essendon was finding space across the SCG and exploiting it to rack up the inside 50s

In the final quarter, Essendon was content to play cautiously, slowing the game down and blocking up the defensive corridors.

I would be suprised if we did not dominate the ruck and clearances, however we will need our forwards and mids to do more than last week to prevent rebound goals
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

This competition is so even this year that any team on their day, can beat another. In saying that, we will need to be on our game from the first bounce if we are going to get the bickies! Essendon are a fast running side, and we can't let them get away and then play catch up footy. A good win will give us confidence to beat the Saints the following week

Post Thanks / Like

Tough match.
    Essendon have been fairly inconsistant this season.
    So hopefully the fumbly essendon side come and play

Post Thanks / Like

I see huge dangers in this game. Through 2008 and this year we have struggled with sides utilising quick ball carriers. Richmond played like that in the drawn game last year and Essendon led at 3/4 time in our vfirst meeting of the year.

We need to dominate the clearances and we should. I do believe we need to tag Watson as he is their main clearance player and if we are right on him should be able to cause turnovers. I like the idea of playing Griffen on him as he has the size and could run off him to really open things up. I also had a thought that Ward could handle a role like that as he also has good size and I like his attack on the ball as well as his tackling pressure.

Stanton is one of the players they look to use a lot and I would see him as being the player for Picken.
    We also need to close down Lovett and Davey.

Murph back to his lead up forward role should be very dangerous and I don't believe they have a player who can go with him.

Hudson and Minson need to wear Ryder down and he needs to be tackled by someone EVERY time he gets the ball.

I am certain if we play to our strengths and execute our skills, we will get the points.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems more often than not we tend to start slow and like to have have something to chase, we then use our fitness to run over the top of sides. If we give Essendon a head start I fear that it could easily turn into another onslaught of goals, which we cannot afford to do.

This is a bad habit to get into and one that will not hold us in good stead for the finals. We do not want this sort of habit against Geelong or St Kilda come finals time so this week is a chance to rectify our mistakes from last week.

We need to use our bigger bodies early and really muscle Essendon out of the contest. I am confident if we are thereabouts after the first quarter we will account for them and grind them out as the game progresses.

As Mantis has said, this game is definately ours to lose, we are a far better side than Essendon so anything other than a win would be extremely disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly think they are well on the way to becoming a top 4 side. Knights has been perfect for them imo. They have improved again this season and although they have plenty to work on I think they are really buying into what the coach wants from them.

Jobe Watson is unbelievably underrated. I love watching this bloke play footy now. The absolute heart beat of that side and someone we need to limit where possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Even after our loss to Collingwood last week, I think we will bounce back. We have played some decent footy against Essendon over the past few years.

I really want to stick it up their cocky supporters - after going to both primary and secondary school in Essendon, I can't stand them.