Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Johnno the right captain for us?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So whats the answer Mantis? Who would you install in the leadership group that would change things?
    I have been racking my brain trying to think of who we could bring into the group and from afar I have no idea. There seems no logical choice from the 24-28 age bracket who have both the football and media skills required to lead the club. I think we need to bring in some tough un-compromising players into the group, but realistically we don't have to many of these and thats one of our real problems. We dont have to many no frill players, who just do there job week in week out.

I red with interest Rob Murphy's article in the Age a few weeks back, linked below:

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/el...857593434.html

This article speaks about the change in direction the leadership group has been taking, but these results have yet to be witnessed. Can this group enforce it?

Things can change quickly, Geelong have been able to implement a change of direction by with Tom Harley as captain. From the outside he looked like a strange choice, but he has helped to install the type of game style which is required to become a very good side in this competition. Let's hope we can go down a similiar path.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I have been racking my brain trying to think of who we could bring into the group and from afar I have no idea. There seems no logical choice from the 24-28 age bracket who have both the football and media skills required to lead the club. I think we need to bring in some tough un-compromising players into the group, but realistically we don't have to many of these and thats one of our real problems. We dont have to many no frill players, who just do there job week in week out.
    Thats my main point of difference with you because there is no logical replacements for the current leadership group. In fact we ditched guys like West to promote others and develop them.

It's also hard to say that Harley is the reason for the Geelong revival but I think it's a combination of a fit and strong list coupled with natural development and improvement.
    They have also just become a lot better at executing their game plan as well.

I don't think the whole leadership question is a good one if we are trying to explain what went wrong with the season. From my point of view it is in fact just a very small component.
    Our skills, game plan, physcial development and list management are the main reasons for our sub standard performance this year and if we fix that then the current leadership group will look like stars.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thats my main point of difference with you because there is no logical replacements for the current leadership group. In fact we ditched guys like West to promote others and develop them.

It's also hard to say that Harley is the reason for the Geelong revival but I think it's a combination of a fit and strong list coupled with natural development and improvement.

I don't think the whole leadership question is a good one if we are trying to explain what went wrong with the season. From my point of view it is in fact just a very small component.
    Our skills, game plan, physcial development and list management are the main reasons for our sub standard performance this year and if we fix that then the current leadership group will look like stars.
    All good points, but referring to you final statement I can't see it happening.

I think it was hoped that by introducing Cross, Hahn, Giansiracusa and Murphy to the leadership group there games would go to another level. This hasn't happened.

Cross was having a very good year til his injury, but needs to play a much more defensive role next year. He doesn't pay a lot of respect to his opponent and this has to improve.

Giansiracusa has gone backwards big-time, he looks unfit, and really can only play as a small forward, is this enough?

Murphy has had an interupted year, and has had some good games, but his efforts throughout a game, especially when we are struggling ebb and flow far too much for a leader of the club. He looks almost dis-interested at times, which is hard to believe if you are a regular reader of this articles.

Hahn is excused due to his injuries.

Johnson, if not injured, which he must be, needs a kick up the arse. On too many occassions he goes kick chasing when we are struggling. As captain it is hard to have an influence as a forward if the ball isn't getting there, but his affect as a loose man in defence is debatable. His passing skills and decision making is iffy at best. He would be far better going into the middle and using his strong frame to mix it up a little, get your hands dirty and inspire the team by winning some hard balls rather that chasing easy kicks.

I think Gilbee and Griffen should be brought into the leadership group next year, they I believe have leadership qualities.

Eade at the end of this year has the chance to send a message to the playing group by the decision he makes to what will and will not be accepted. If he continues to persist with many on the list who have not improved or grasped his concepts then we will not improve. But if he is strong and sends a direct message that if you will not play his style you will be moved on we may go somewhere, because the talent is there in spades, but sadly the application has been missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong did a couple of things pre-season to address both the coach and the leadership group.

Coach - They asked Bomber to take a step back and let some of the decision making to be handled by assistants as well as the playing group

Leadership - I can't remember the full details, but they brought in an outside consulting group to brainstorm the leadership question at the club and then empowered the players and the leadership to make decisions.

What can we do:

1. Maybe we need Eade to concentrate more on coaching and give the running of the football department to some one else. Could be a financial implication?

2. Leadership - Do something similiar to Geelong and explore what can be done.

I think Brad is a top Captain and was the All Australian Captain last year. However, he needs help especially with the on field leadership. I think Murphy,Gia and Cross need to stand up for starters. Not sure on the others and who can be a future leader.

Eade said a few weeks ago that the boys are very quiet and no one is arogant. Well this needs to change, we need an arrogant, and confident person to stand up. No more quiet captains, we have had our share of quiet captains like Wynd, Grant and even Johnno to some extent. Bring back some agro.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring back some arrogance to the football too while their at it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am coming around to the rather odd view of giving the captaincy to Cooney for a season.

Why?

Aside from the fact he is a midfielder and IMHO we need the captain to be in the guts, IMO it will either make him or break him (hopefully the former)

We've seen his best and it's pretty good. The captaincy may bring that out consistently.

IMHO, the answer isn't a current senior player.

Fire away!
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst Cooney certainly has the talent and is obviously a very popular member of the club, does he have the leadership and hard work ethic that we need? Leadership, potentially he ticks that box, but as far as work ethic on the track - I'm not so sure. I'd have Griffen ahead of him at this stage for future captaincy - but Cooney could easily make himself a worthwhile candidate.