Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dogs historians

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs historians

Some of you crotchety old pensioner-types (SS for instance ) with time on your hands and who fancy delving into the history of the club, may be interested in the National Library Australia (NLA) online project.

They have scanned all the old papers (from microfilm) going way back and have put them online. Computers are very bad at reading these scans and produce gobbledegook when they do. So the NLA is asking people to fix up the text to make it available in a searchable form.

I didn't explain that well. The link is here http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

A quick search shows plenty of old stuff about the very early days of the Dogs. Microfilm cataloguing is sometimes done pretty poorly in my experience, so there is a fair chance at least some of the articles scanned would not have been seen by historians and researchers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs historians

Crotchety old pensioner type!!!!

I don't have time on my hands at all, I have to spend 6 hours a day on Woof and another couple at the RSL.

That and my afternoon nap and I hardly have any time for bowls!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Crotchety old pensioner type!!!!

I don't have time on my hands at all, I have to spend 6 hours a day on Woof and another couple at the RSL.

That and my afternoon nap and I hardly have any time for bowls!
    C'mon SS ... there is always time for bowls
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    C'mon SS ... there is always time for bowls
    Absolutely!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post
    Some of you crotchety old pensioner-types (SS for instance ) with time on your hands and who fancy delving into the history of the club, may be interested in the National Library Australia (NLA) online project.

They have scanned all the old papers (from microfilm) going way back and have put them online. Computers are very bad at reading these scans and produce gobbledegook when they do. So the NLA is asking people to fix up the text to make it available in a searchable form.

I didn't explain that well. The link is here http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

A quick search shows plenty of old stuff about the very early days of the Dogs. Microfilm cataloguing is sometimes done pretty poorly in my experience, so there is a fair chance at least some of the articles scanned would not have been seen by historians and researchers.
    Interesting site.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of reading there, 4995 results for Footscray Football Club.

Could you imagine the histeria these days if this was printed today, and only a few weeks before the season proper!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting;

http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/ar...scray+football

I can remember years ago reading that a lot of our VFA games in the '20s were filmesd and shown at picture theatres around Footscray. Wouldnt it be fantastic if that film stock still survived somewhere?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Plenty of reading there, 4995 results for Footscray Football Club.

Could you imagine the histeria these days if this was printed today, and only a few weeks before the season proper!!!

Twodogs was unfortunately an unsuccessful applicant for that position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    This is interesting;

I can remember years ago reading that a lot of our VFA games in the '20s were filmesd and shown at picture theatres around Footscray. Wouldnt it be fantastic if that film stock still survived somewhere?
    That is a beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Twodogs was unfortunately an unsuccessful applicant for that position.

That ****ing Syd Coventry did me over like a kipper!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    This is interesting;

TD that really would be the Holy Grail of Bulldogs history if anything like that was in existence, i would love to see footage of the VFA premiership wins and the '24 "Championship of Victoria" win over the 'Dons.