Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't remember that, I thought it was just WOOF talk
    Fox Sports/SEN citing the Herald Sun from earlier this month:

GEELONG’S RUCK MERRY-GO-ROUND IS SET TO CONTINUE

Zac Smith could be set for his third AFL club, with reports that two Victorian clubs are interested in his services.

According to Herald Sun journalist Sam Edmund, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs are showing interest in acquiring the out of contract ruckman during the 2019 off-season.

“Zac Smith pretty much remains the only unsigned ruckman there and you’d have to say his future is really uncertain,” he said on SEN Breakfast

I doubt St Kilda have any interest anymore with Ryder coming in. Geelong Addy suggesting Smith is a chance of not getting another contract, which is obvious. If we are the only team, then it's pick 84 or as a delisted free agent. Either way, just the list spot, not much trade currency and not much salary cap usage. Not a bad outcome.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I will try to find it, there was an article saying Saints & us had some interest.
    I'm fairly sure there was speculation in the media but it seems to have died down
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't discount St Kilda from chasing Smith. Like us their ruck stocks are fairly thin, They have just delisted Longer and Pierce, which will leave them with an old and potentially injury prone Ryder, Marshall and not much else (looks like they may have a giant on their rookie list that hasn't played a game). They need a mature backup like Smith just as much as we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Fox Sports/SEN citing the Herald Sun from earlier this month:

GEELONG’S RUCK MERRY-GO-ROUND IS SET TO CONTINUE

Zac Smith could be set for his third AFL club, with reports that two Victorian clubs are interested in his services.

According to Herald Sun journalist Sam Edmund, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs are showing interest in acquiring the out of contract ruckman during the 2019 off-season.

“Zac Smith pretty much remains the only unsigned ruckman there and you’d have to say his future is really uncertain,” he said on SEN Breakfast

I doubt St Kilda have any interest anymore with Ryder coming in. Geelong Addy suggesting Smith is a chance of not getting another contract, which is obvious. If we are the only team, then it's pick 84 or as a delisted free agent. Either way, just the list spot, not much trade currency and not much salary cap usage. Not a bad outcome.
    Thank you. Not sure why we would be interested. Maybe for the VFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance? He would come as cheap as it gets.

At the moment our ruck stocks are...
    - English: very promising, continually improving but still raw
    - Trengove: a proven 'okay' option but he also provides key defender depth
    - Sweet: definition of a raw ruckman. Might be okay next year if we need him but is it worth the risk?

I think adding Zac Smith as a delisted free agent on small salary would be a good 'moneyball' call.

6. Likes lemmon, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it was a Bevo who said we need to deepen our ruck stocks for next year. Cheap way of doing it.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 26-09-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Insurance? He would come as cheap as it gets.

At the moment our ruck stocks are...
    - English: very promising, continually improving but still raw
    - Trengove: a proven 'okay' option but he also provides key defender depth
    - Sweet: definition of a raw ruckman. Might be okay next year if we need him but is it worth the risk?

I think adding Zac Smith as a delisted free agent on small salary would be a good 'moneyball' call.
    Pretty sure it was a ego who said we need to deepen our ruck stocks for next year. Cheap way of doing it.
    If there is no other choice, ok.

My issue is he hates body contact, and only has the role due to his height, not football ability.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Cleary reporting Keath requests trade to the Dogs .

10. Likes bornadog, Mofra, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    You beauty!
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL.com also running with it.

Bruce and Keath is a spectacular trade period for us. I now know what essendon fans feel like for one month out of 12.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Thanks Doc26, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, Bulldog4life, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news. Glad to have it stated in advance of the period too so we're not anxiously waiting to be jilted last minute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    Another Crow on the move: Gun defender requests Dogs switch

ADELAIDE defender Alex Keath has requested a trade to the Western Bulldogs.

The 27-year-old informed the Crows and other interested parties – including St Kilda – of his decision early on Thursday afternoon.

After a career-best season which included winning the Showdown Medal in his 20th game, Keath was seeking a longer contract to provide security for his future.

After 12 games across his first two seasons in 2017-2018, Keath played 18 matches for the Crows this year, filling the void vacated by injured key back Tom Doedee.

With the Crows attempting to go younger, it is understood the offer from the Dogs far exceeded the deal tabled by the Crows.

Keath also toured St Kilda's facilities earlier this month and had been weighing up a move to Moorabbin.

"I will be forever grateful to the Adelaide Football Club for providing me with the opportunity to test myself at the AFL level,"
    Keath said via statement on Thursday.

"Playing with exceptional players and for their passionate supporters has been a highlight of my career. I am now excited by the prospect of becoming part of the emerging Western Bulldogs squad, and hopefully a trade can be facilitated."

The Dogs, who also have interest in Saint Josh Bruce, currently have picks 12, 30, 41, 46 and 48.

Following the retirements of Tom Boyd, Liam Picken and Dale Morris, the Dogs are believed to have a stockpile of money to target new recruits this off-season.

Keath's call comes ahead of what is expected to be a chaotic Trade Period for the Crows.

17. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Another Crow on the move: Gun defender requests Dogs switch

ADELAIDE defender Alex Keath has requested a trade to the Western Bulldogs.

The 27-year-old informed the Crows and other interested parties – including St Kilda – of his decision early on Thursday afternoon.

After a career-best season which included winning the Showdown Medal in his 20th game, Keath was seeking a longer contract to provide security for his future.

After 12 games across his first two seasons in 2017-2018, Keath played 18 matches for the Crows this year, filling the void vacated by injured key back Tom Doedee.

With the Crows attempting to go younger, it is understood the offer from the Dogs far exceeded the deal tabled by the Crows.

Keath also toured St Kilda's facilities earlier this month and had been weighing up a move to Moorabbin.

"I will be forever grateful to the Adelaide Football Club for providing me with the opportunity to test myself at the AFL level,"
    Keath said via statement on Thursday.

"Playing with exceptional players and for their passionate supporters has been a highlight of my career. I am now excited by the prospect of becoming part of the emerging Western Bulldogs squad, and hopefully a trade can be facilitated."

The Dogs, who also have interest in Saint Josh Bruce, currently have picks 12, 30, 41, 46 and 48.

Following the retirements of Tom Boyd, Liam Picken and Dale Morris, the Dogs are believed to have a stockpile of money to target new recruits this off-season.

Keath's call comes ahead of what is expected to be a chaotic Trade Period for the Crows.

Small forward Eddie Betts looks destined to request a trade to Carlton, while contracted key forward Josh Jenkins confirmed he would explore other options on Wednesday.

Midfielder Brad Crouch, who will become a free agent at the end of 2020, is currently being shopped around by his management to the tune of $5million over five seasons.

And 27-year-old out-of-contract midfielder Hugh Greenwood is being heavily courted by Gold Coast to bolster their young midfield stocks.

20. Thanks Bulldog4life, bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keath also toured Moorabbin but chose us, so a good nod to our people and plans that we have attracted the player over other clubs.

This doesn't happen often.