Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

link

Josh Schache has no doubt the Western Bulldogs can deploy a three-pronged attack against Collingwood in round one.
    The 22-year-old is fully aware that fielding himself (199cm), ex-Saint Josh Bruce (197cm) and Aaron Naughton (195cm) would make for one of the AFL’s more top-heavy forward lines.

But Schache believes the trio have enough points of difference to co-exist.

“I definitely feel confident we can all play in the same team,” he told AAP on Friday.

“We all bring different things to the table - whether that’s getting up the ground for me, or Brucey and Naughton taking contested marks.”

The Seymour product, currently back home on a four-day break, said he had relished the chance to learn from Bruce, who booted 168 goals in 99 games for St Kilda before crossing to Whitten Oval.

But another part of Schache’s football education came through an elimination finals exit at the hands of Greater Western Sydney, which ended his first

“Going out like that - it really stays with you,” the fifth-year player said.
    “The intensity, the atmosphere, even the build up was huge ... and that drives you to want more.”

The Western Bulldogs were hit with two hamstring injuries - to veteran defender Easton Wood and utility Lin Jong - earlier this week.

But Schache said an otherwise clean bill had injected some healthy pressure on all players to perform ahead of his side’s first pre-season game next Friday night against North Melbourne.

New draftee Cody Weightman is pushing for an early debut. Credit: Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

And part of this competition for spots, he believes, could well come from the Bulldogs’ No.15 draft pick Cody Weightman, a small forward with some razzle-dazzle.
    “I wouldn’t be surprised if Cody debuted this year,” Schache said.

“He’s really classy and always knows where the goals are, but his forward pressure and athleticism have also been impressive - he’s taken a few nice marks at training.”

“He’s definitely got a bag of tricks.”
    Last edited by bornadog; 14-02-2020 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Original link incorrect
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

That's not Weightman.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's not Weightman.
    Yep, it's Roarke Smith
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Because if it doesn't work Josh might be playing at Footscray?

Post Thanks / Like

That's not Weightman.
    Photo in the link is correct though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Perhaps but there is a chance he could be played on a wing or in the back half

Post Thanks / Like

That's not Weightman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Fixed, original link had wrong photo, and I didn't look carefully

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Perhaps but there is a chance he could be played on a wing or in the back half
    There is zero reason to play him on the wing in my view. He could play back but would need games at Footscray first.

I’m a little bit concerned that we are all in for this three pronged tall forward line. I hope like crazy that I am wrong and it works perfectly but if it doesnt we can’t afford to waste 4-5 rounds working on it.

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we go in with the three pronged attack I think we will need some willing smalls around the packs to keep the ball in.
    Or we could build the wall a little further back for the turn over.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think Schache will ruck a bit as well so I’m thinking if he plays up the ground and in the ruck he won’t be up forward much at all, I guess it depends who we play and how our other talls are faring on game day, he is another option if ones having a bad day.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think Schache will ruck a bit as well so I’m thinking if he plays up the ground and in the ruck he won’t be up forward much at all, I guess it depends who we play and how our other talls are faring on game day, he is another option if ones having a bad day.
    Bruce has also played as a second ruck for the Saints, so that will also be an option. I would like to keep Naughton out of all ruck duties

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bruce has also played as a second ruck for the Saints, so that will also be an option. I would like to keep Naughton out of all ruck duties
    I agree Naughton stays forward.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Most St Kilda supporters that I know didn't rate Bruce as a 2nd string ruckman. He will probably share that role with Schache if the 3 tall forwards option works but I think Schache might potentially be the better option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Most St Kilda supporters that I know didn't rate Bruce as a 2nd string ruckman. He will probably share that role with Schache if the 3 tall forwards option works but I think Schache might potentially be the better option.
    Schache initially in the juniors played ruck. Maybe because of his height I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced by this top-heavy, 'too tall' narrative that's being advanced by lazy meeja types.

Schache might be the tallest of the trio but he's a mobile flanker in a key-position player's body. His height, athleticism and willingness to work make him a tricky matchup, particularly if he's getting the '3rd best' defender.

Furthermore Naughton & Bruce are hardly plodding dinosaurs. Naughts particularly has surprised more than a few rebounding defenders with his toe and tenacity once the ball hits the deck. Assume you've got the big bloke covered at your peril. The tackles he lays when he collars someone are a joy to watch.

I'm bullish the three-headed hydra can work, and work well but it's a novel set-up for everyone so it'll take some time to develop the right chemistry to get there ... assuming Bevo has that sort of patience before sending someone to CHB.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

17. Likes Mofra liked this post