Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  96
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs - Lewis Young

'Old' Young aims to turn over a new leaf

LEWIS Young is no longer the baby of the AFL and says his wide-ranging fortunes in his seven-game maiden season will hold him in good stead for this year.

Most importantly, Young says, his confidence is high after staying in the Western Bulldogs' line-up from the time he made his highly-acclaimed debut in round 17.

That could easily not have been the case, given how the recently-turned 19-year-old's form trailed off after a spectacular start.

Young, the youngest player on an AFL list in 2017, took 19 marks in his first two matches, and retired triple premiership star Tim Watson compared him to arguably the game's best young defender, Jake Lever.

But the Sturt product, who was the No.49 pick in 2016 after qualifying for the draft by only 11 days, soon saw the other side of life at the elite level.

Young coughed up five turnovers – three of them resulting in Greater Western Sydney goals – and had a disposal efficiency rating of just 18 per cent in a big round 21 defeat.

Further harsh lessons followed in the final two rounds of the season.

"Credit to the coaches for leaving me in there, because that did give me a lot of confidence coming into this year," Young told RSN927.

"I'm working a bit on my disposals – so my kicking and handballing – (and) I'm also working on my positioning.

"Just learning the game-plan is always an ongoing thing, so learning that over and over again never hurts."

Young arrived at the Kennel 14 months ago as a 197cm key forward, but the Dogs transformed him into an intercepting defender.

He showed such promise that he scored a jumper upgrade in December from No.33 to No.2, which was worn in all bar three of retired club great Bob Murphy's 312 games.

"I am very humbled to be offered the jumper by Bevo (coach Luke Beveridge) and very excited to wear the number this year," Young said.

"But, at the end of the day, it is just a number and I do play for the red, white and blue on the front of the guernsey.

"I spoke to (Murphy) the day I got it … and he said, 'Congratulations, look forward to watching you' and then Bevo gave me a little rundown about it."

2. Thanks bornadog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian Royal was a fair player too, he wore 33.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes Raw Toast, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Brian Royal was a fair player too, he wore 33.
    One of my favourites Choco.
    Stranded on 199 games, 299 goals. I still remember him on crutches waving goodbye to the EJ Whitten stand.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    One of my favourites Choco.
    Stranded on 199 games, 299 goals. I still remember him on crutches waving goodbye to the EJ Whitten stand.
    Was the farewell to the Whitten stand at a later game, because I remember going to his final game when he was injured and it was at the MCG.

Foxtel have been having a history month and played the 1986 state of origin game v Western Australia the other night. Choco absolutely dominated - kicked 5 goals and had a heap of touches. When resting in the forward pocket Brad Hardie occasionally went near him on his way to a best on for WA. Rick Kennedy also played in defence for the Vics. Many regard this game as the best State of Origin game of all time.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Was the farewell to the Whitten stand at a later game, because I remember going to his final game when he was injured and it was at the MCG.

Foxtel have been having a history month and played the 1986 state of origin game v Western Australia the other night. Choco absolutely dominated - kicked 5 goals and had a heap of touches. When resting in the forward pocket Brad Hardie occasionally went near him on his way to a best on for WA. Rick Kennedy also played in defence for the Vics. Many regard this game as the best State of Origin game of all time.
    Yes played his last game v Essendon at the G.

I love the Interstate match, it was a ripper.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Classic Brad Hardie. 30 touches running out of defence while his opponent gets 35 and kicks 5. Three votes, Footscray B. Hardie..

I hope he's OK. He's one of us. A bulldog through and through.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talked to a mate who believes Young is going very well in his 2nd pre-season. He's added some weight and been training well.

Exciting prospect if he can take another step forward. I wonder if he is just training with the defensive group of a bit of a mixture forward and back?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Just turned 19 years old, he is as old as some of the first year draftees starting this year. Give him a few years before expecting too much.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Just turned 19 years old, he is as old as some of the first year draftees starting this year. Give him a few years before expecting too much.
    No. I expect him to win the Rising Star.

Seriously I expect him to get the chance to play a lot of senior footy this year and I think he will do well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Talked to a mate who believes Young is going very well in his 2nd pre-season. He's added some weight and been training well.

Exciting prospect if he can take another step forward. I wonder if he is just training with the defensive group of a bit of a mixture forward and back?
    He can run and jump at the ball, so hope he gets some opportunity to swing forward throughout the year.

Thanks for the info, he had some very impressive moments in his first season, so great to hear he's building on that and attacking his training.

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive first season but he certainly stalled in 2018 and even with the departure of Adams and perhaps Trengove playing in the ruck there might not be a regular position the back half for Young.

Could Young be groomed for a role up forward or perhaps even for a part time ruckman?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Impressive first season but he certainly stalled in 2018 and even with the departure of Adams and perhaps Trengove playing in the ruck there might not be a regular position the back half for Young.

Could Young be groomed for a role up forward or perhaps even for a part time ruckman?
    I think we are showing concern for Young prematurely.

He has just had his 20th birthday and is a tall athletic player with good hands. Let him develop and find his way.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I think we are showing concern for Young prematurely.

He has just had his 20th birthday and is a tall athletic player with good hands. Let him develop and find his way.
    I might not have represented Young correctly in my previous post because I'm actually confident he will develop into a fine player for us. I'm just wondering if we will try him in other positions this year

Post Thanks / Like

He was recruited as a tall forward so it's always an option but he showed some great signs in his debut season and just developed in the VFL in his second. Patience mon frere

Post Thanks / Like

He would seriously need to improve his footy IQ, which of course comes with experience but his body position and general nous are way behind where he should be.

He's clearly got some ability but I'm not sold on him making it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -