Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  192
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demons V Bulldogs - Round 1 17/3/24 MCG 1.00pm

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Gallagher showed some real potential even though his numbers were low. He spent a little time in the centre as well to get some experience. Hopefully he gets another go next week.
    I liked Gallagher and was in favour of his selection, but am more making the point that it meant we needed to play another midfielder.

We took in Gallagher and Sanders as kids who would need to be managed, as well as played Harmes as a full-time mid when I think he's best suited to a forward flank and taking a turn through the midfield.

I think Laith and McNeil were then pushed on-ball or on a wing to balance those rotations and the mix was completely wrong.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I agree but the 2+ years since suggests some of that was coincidental (i.e. McNeil and to a lesser degree Scott). Our midfield was absolutely dominating in the early part of 2021 and Martin gave us incredible presence (which we just don't get from English).

A lot of us have grown tired of seeing mids play as HFFers, but there's a reason why it happens - it's because the likes of McNeil and VDM offer zero.

A better question would be why haven't we loaded up on small forwards? It's been a problem for a while. We have TOO many talls. We keep McNeil (dumb - move on), Clarke is in his second year, and Arty is still raw. That's it. It's not a lot to choose from.

Weightman doesn't count either - he plays nothing like a small forward.
    There was a contest at the Punt Rd end, I think Lobb took a mark 70 out and turned to get it in quick. Naughton and Weightman were both 50+ metres away calling for it to be kicked to them. They both flew for the unrealistic specify, Melbourne brought the ball to ground and cleared it away.

As soon as Lobb turned, Weightman should have led up at the ball. He likely would have dragged an opponent with him, at least improving Naughton's odds and at best getting a mark on the lead for himself.

Selfish, unrealistic, lazy, egotistical, dumb...I don't know what describes them best.

Why do we not have players hitting up at the ball? Why do our forwards not work to position for the outlet kicks? It is SO frustrating.

4. Likes lemmon, Grantysghost, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    There was a contest at the Punt Rd end, I think Lobb took a mark 70 out and turned to get it in quick. Naughton and Weightman were both 50+ metres away calling for it to be kicked to them. They both flew for the unrealistic specify, Melbourne brought the ball to ground and cleared it away.

As soon as Lobb turned, Weightman should have led up at the ball. He likely would have dragged an opponent with him, at least improving Naughton's odds and at best getting a mark on the lead for himself.

Selfish, unrealistic, lazy, egotistical, dumb...I don't know what describes them best.

Why do we not have players hitting up at the ball? Why do our forwards not work to position for the outlet kicks? It is SO frustrating.
    I thought Lobb was too slow to move as Weightman was on his own for a long time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This cost us a goal against the trend of play. The downfield to Max Gawn. I didn't see it on game day. But gee whiz. Horrible. https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/can...Qoo5ZrWQNwJQlA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    This cost us a goal against the trend of play. The downfield to Max Gawn. I didn't see it on game day. But gee whiz. Horrible. https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/can...Qoo5ZrWQNwJQlA
    I didn't see it at the time, but I knew it would be some bullsh*t like that. The only surprising part is that he didn't completely flop and fall to the ground.

8. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The one I recall was Lobb marking at half forward, Weightman by himself about 30 metres out from goal jumping up and down waving his arms in the air. Lobb walks back to take his kick, by which time Melbourne have flooded back. Lack of urgency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Lobb was too slow to move as Weightman was on his own for a long time.
    I might be combining two passages in my head, but my point remains that Weightman should be hitting up the player with the ball and getting front and centre. If he's the only one in the contest...sure, fly as high as you want and force a contest. But we are already tall enough without a short forward leaping as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    The one I recall was Lobb marking at half forward, Weightman by himself about 30 metres out from goal jumping up and down waving his arms in the air. Lobb walks back to take his kick, by which time Melbourne have flooded back. Lack of urgency.
    yes that one

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    100% Melbourne went to the AFL sooking about Gawn's treatment against the Swans and we've paid the price for it.

I hate the AFEL and its umpire directives.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

100% correct. All the adjectives you suggest apply.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    100% Melbourne went to the AFL sooking about Gawn's treatment against the Swans and we've paid the price for it.

I hate the AFEL and its umpire directives.
    I thought the umpiring was appalling yesterday. Didn't cost us the game, but boy oh boy some strange decisions. like that one.

I ran into a former umpire at half time (sometimes woofer poster) and he couldn't believe the umpiring in the first half.

Post Thanks / Like

Dees v Dogs analysis - Were the Bulldogs 'not up for the fight?' | AFL 360 | Fox Footy

16. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where did Williams play on the weekend? I don't even think I saw him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jDogs View Post
    Where did Williams play on the weekend? I don't even think I saw him.
    I noticed him in the last quarter on the wing at a centre bounce. He had 18 disposals but they must have been up the Punt Rd end on the other side of the ground to where I was sitting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Happened all over the ground. Killed any purposeful movement out of the backline all day.

Melbourne rarely stopped to walk back from the mark. They would stand ground while a teammate ran past or quickly kick low to a teammate who had made position 35 metres ahead. (Usually With his opponent standing 15 metres away minding grass)

The contrast between the two teams was glaring. Can we please buy Melbourne?s game plan.