Thanks Thanks:  192
Likes Likes:  663
Page 28 of 141 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proactive Poaching

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Bombers let McDonald-Tipingwudi go. He's going to be in line for a big contract though.
    Let’s make them get into more salary cap trouble
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Thanks.

Is Hartely playing forward or back?
    Back. Destroyed Walker tonight.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Thanks.

Worth considering for us?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It’s worth noting that just about everyone destroys Walker these days. Even when he does get the third best defender.

6. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Worth considering for us?
    As long as he doesn't play too well from here and cost us too much. He looks really mobile and is much bigger than Cordy. I think he's worth considering. We don't know what Lewi is going to be yet or how long it will take him to come on.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Therefore you can't find a spot for Tomlinson.

Back six:

With players available now

JJ- Trengove - Duryea
    Wood - Cordy (no choice here) - Crozier
    With Tomlinson you would have a choice

I'd push Wood to the bench, afterall he apparently can't play tall, and play Duryea on a wing

Daniel - Trengove - Cordy
    Crozier - Tomlinson - Johannisen
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    It’s worth noting that just about everyone destroys Walker these days. Even when he does get the third best defender.
    He's only keeping his spot in the side (and ruining the career of Darcy Fogarty) thanks to a agitprop campaign undertaken by the Channel 7 commentary team.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He's only keeping his spot in the side (and ruining the career of Darcy Fogarty) thanks to a agitprop campaign undertaken by the Channel 7 commentary team.
    With every game he plays and keeps Fogarty at HB in the SANFL I rub my hands together.

Fogarty was one of the targets I mentioned in the OP of this thread. I hope we go hard at him. Fly Lewis Young (would surely know each other being the same draft class) up with a senior player (maybe even another SA player like Caleb Daniel) to talk to him about the Melbourne lifestyle and the club.

Offer him a long deal. Tell him we want him in our forward line now. Show him the age profiles of both us and the geriatric Crows. Deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    With every game he plays and keeps Fogarty at HB in the SANFL I rub my hands together.

Fogarty was one of the targets I mentioned in the OP of this thread. I hope we go hard at him. Fly Lewis Young (would surely know each other being the same draft class) up with a senior player (maybe even another SA player like Caleb Daniel) to talk to him about the Melbourne lifestyle and the club.

Offer him a long deal. Tell him we want him in our forward line now. Show him the age profiles of both us and the geriatric Crows. Deal.
    What's Fogarty's contract situation?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

What's Fogarty's contract situation?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Bombers let McDonald-Tipingwudi go. He's going to be in line for a big contract though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Let’s make them get into more salary cap trouble
    Tippa signed a 3 year extension during his first year on the rookie list (during the drug suspensions) and as a result is apparently only on around $170k. If we don't get him I hope he gets the contract he deserves and costs the Bombers a packet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Tippa signed a 3 year extension during his first year on the rookie list (during the drug suspensions) and as a result is apparently only on around $170k. If we don't get him I hope he gets the contract he deserves and costs the Bombers a packet.
    We'll bid Walla up, I'd love us to target Fogarty.
    I'm a yes to Hartley too, 26 so just hitting his prime. Would give us the luxury for developing Lewis Young and picking up Ben Kelly in the draft (200cm, quick overager) for a long term plan too.

With one of our three third rounders we can surely pick up Dan Butler so we at least have a small forward option on the list that has been tried at AFL level, as we don't know whether Ben Caverra can get through a season of AFL demands yet.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon barometer Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti likely to stay despite rival interest

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti is holding off talks on a new deal with Essendon, which has opened the door for a trio of rival clubs to come knocking. Will he stay at the Bombers?

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti’s decision to hold off talks with Essendon will likely pay a healthy dividend as a trio of Victorian rivals register interest.

The Western Bulldogs, Carlton and North Melbourne have all asked about McDonald-Tipungwuti, with the market hot for dangerous small forwards who can kick goals and pressure.

But McDonald-Tipungwuti is still likely to remain with the club that handed him a rookie-list chance as talks on a new deal loom.

McDonald has become Essendon’s cult hero and barometer this year, starring in the club’s winning performances and going ice-cold when the Dons lose.

The 26-year-old has kicked 26.7 and has the best accuracy rating for any player with 30 shots — plus 24.2 per cent kick rating.

The Bombers have also scored from 50 per cent of his kicks inside 50 — the seventh-best rate of the top 200 players for entries.

He has been keen to hold off talks to maximise his worth as a three-year deal signed after 34 goals in the 2017 season expires.

But he seems content at the club, more likely to secure a pay rise from consistent form that to chasing dollars at a rival given the pressure to perform by chasing dollars elsewhere.

There has never been a better time to be a well-performed small forward in Melbourne, with clubs clamouring for small goalkickers like Sydney’s Tom Papley and Port Adelaide’s Sam Gray.

That trio of Victorian clubs have registered some interest in McDonald-Tipungwuti but not yet lodged offers as they assess their options.

The Dons secured Tipungwuti after a remarkable journey from the Tiwi Islands via Gippsland Power and Essendon’s VFL side before being rookie-listed and making his debut in Round 1, 2016.

Essendon has been keen for some time to secure McDonald-Tipungwuti but is comfortable holding off talks until he wants to sign.

His small forward partner in crime Orazio Fantasia will remain with the club next year despite speculation about his contract.

His manager Anthony McConville said on Friday despite links to Adelaide clubs he remained steadfast he was happy seeing out his contract with no consideration to a trade this off-season.

18. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are three certainties in life.

1) Death
    2) Taxes
    3) The Dogs being used to help jack up a rivals target's new contract with his existing club.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

What are they worth? Kelly, Coniglio, Martin and all the top trade targets

FIVE weeks out from the end of the home and away season, clubs are positioning themselves for raids on rival lists.

But just how much is on the table for this year's trade targets?

In 2018, the average player wage in the AFL was more than $362,000 a season, which is only rising year on year.

Getting an uncontracted player out of his original home generally forces the destination club to pay overs, and even more if that player is contracted and a required player.

Here's how the industry – with input from various list managers, recruiters and player agents – sees this year's shopping list.

The out-of-contract stars
    TIM KELLY (GEELONG)

Draft picks: Two mid-to-late first-round picks
    Value on open market: $800,000-850,000 per season

Bryce Gibbs and Dayne Beams essentially moved for two first-round picks with swaps of later picks. Kelly comes younger and in better form. Bidding between Fremantle and West Coast will only up his value.

JACK MARTIN (GOLD COAST)

Draft picks: Late first-round pick
    Value on open market: $550,000-650,000 per season

A bidding war among Victoria clubs would only drive his value up. Joined Gold Coast as the most talented 17-year-old in Australia and still seen as a player who could thrive in an elite team.

ED LANGDON (FREMANTLE)

Draft pick: Early second-round pick
    Value on open market: $500,000-600,000 per season

Fourth in the Dockers' best and fairest last year and is bound for a similar finish in this career-best season. Contract on hold until the end of the season and starts 2020 as a 24-year-old.

ANTHONY McDONALD-TIPUNGWUTI (ESSENDON)

Draft pick: Mid second-round pick

Perfect time to hit top form in games against North Melbourne and Adelaide. More likely to stay but has received interest from elsewhere in Victoria. Turns 27 in April next year.

ZAK JONES (SYDNEY)

Draft picks: Mid second-round pick
    Value on open market: $450,000-550,000 per season

Has what a number of clubs are crying out for: pace. The 24-year-old has proven that he can break the lines in recent seasons in Sydney and has continually put off contract talks during 2019.

ALEX KEATH (ADELAIDE)

Draft picks: Mid-to-late second-round pick

Has looked at home in defence after taking Tom Doedee's role and was a Showdown Medal winner in his 20th AFL game. Clubs would be open to forking out a hefty wage, but at 28 by round one next year, the trade value won't be significant.

AARON FRANCIS (ESSENDON)

In and out of the Essendon line-up this season, the 21-year-old had been stuck behind Michael Hurley, Cale Hooker and Patrick Ambrose. Now with Hurley injured, the South Australian will get an opportunity to make centre half-back his own.

CONNOR BLAKELY (FREMANTLE)

Value on open market: $400,000-500,000 per season

Has indicated his desire to stay but until a deal is signed, rivals will continue to ask questions. First-choice at the Dockers but has never played more than 17 games in a season through injury and has just one top-10 best and fairest finish (2017) to his name.

SHAI BOLTON (RICHMOND)

Value on open market:$400,000-500,000 per season

Hitting form at the right time as he nears the end of his one-year extension. Has explosive pace and shown he can finish in the front half. The 20-year-old West Australian could be a premiership player by season's end.

PADDY RYDER (PORT ADELAIDE)

Draft picks: Late second-round/early third-round pick

Seeking a two-year deal and currently exploring the market. Starts next year as a 32-year-old so his trade value isn't through the roof, but could command a handsome wage, especially if there's more than one bidder.

SAM DRAPER (ESSENDON)

Value on open market: $350,000-450,000 per season

Hard to gauge the value of a rookie coming off an ACL without a senior game to his name. Was closing in on a debut before his reconstruction in May and with the Saints and Bombers both chasing his signature, his value will rise.

MASON REDMAN (ESSENDON)

Has impressed with his poise in defence this season and the longer he stays out of contract, the more his value will increase. Turns 22 next month.

BAILEY WILLIAMS (WESTERN BULLDOGS)

Played as more of an inside midfielder this season, the South Australian's best output in his career has been as a half-back. Will have plenty of interested parties as a 21-year-old.

HUGH GREENWOOD (ADELAIDE)

Draft picks: Late second-round pick

Seeking a longer stay at the Crows before re-committing. Before then, rivals will be offering the chance to be a starting midfielder with the ability to go forward for 2020 and beyond. Starts next year as a 28-year-old.

RILEY BONNER (PORT ADELAIDE)

Value on open market: $300,000-400,000 per season
    Could he be surplus to Port Adelaide's needs as a half-back given Dan Houston and Ryan Burton are now regulars since his last deal? Wouldn't have to look far for opportunities elsewhere as a 22-year-old with a penetrating kick.

JAKE KELLY (ADELAIDE)

Has played 60 of a possible 64 games since the start of 2017 as a valuable role player in defence. Doesn't look like leaving anytime soon but could easily command the average wage if he wanted to return to Victoria.

BRAYDEN SIER (COLLINGWOOD)

Forced to work for senior selection this year, the 21-year-old showed in last year's finals series he can cut it with some of the big-name inside midfielders in the competition. With an abundance of similar types available this year, his value may be hampered a touch.

DAN BUTLER (RICHMOND)

Premiership player who has consistently been overlooked this year. Might be a suitor out there willing to pay him over the average AFL wage to fill a small forward role.

TOM CUTLER (BRISBANE)

Rivals only have to look at his 18-game 2018 campaign as to what he can provide. Has been stuck in the NEAFL for much of this year but as a 192cm wingman presents something different.

KARL AMON (PORT ADELAIDE)

Has informed the Power of his wish to stay at Alberton in recent weeks despite an attempt to leave last season while under contract. Enjoying a career-best season, going at 19 disposals per game.

LUKE DUNSTAN (ST KILDA)

Has shown he can collect big numbers when given a consistent role in the midfield this season. Still lacks polish with his disposal and finds himself part of a long list of available inside midfielders.

LEWIS TAYLOR (BRISBANE)

Just five games this season but still provides dash that a number of clubs crave. A NAB AFL Rising Star winner, will start next season as a 25-year-old.

BAILEY DALE (WESTERN BULLDOGS)

Draft picks: Early third-round pick
    Value on open market:$250,000-350,000 per season

Has shown glimpses as a half-forward/wingman but injury has held him back from being elevated into the next bracket.

JACK SILVAGNI (CARLTON)

Draft picks: Early third-round pick
    Value on open market: $200,000-300,000 per season

Has tinkered his role this season from half-forward to more midfield minutes. There's no shortage of inside midfielders on offer this year but has shown enough in the past month to suggest he'd be a valuable addition to a list.

Free agents
    STEPHEN CONIGLIO (GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY)

Draft picks: First-round pick (compensation)
    Value on open market: $1.1m-1.3m per season

Should he move, would be a long-term deal upwards of $1 million per season. Would be the easiest of all free agency decisions to award a first-round pick to the Giants.

BRANDON ELLIS (RICHMOND)

Draft picks: Second-round pick (compensation)

Luke Dahlhaus' $2 million deal over four years should be used as the guide. If Ellis can edge over $500,000 a season and add a fifth year, the Tigers could get lucky and land an end of first-round selection.

ADAM TOMLINSON (GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY)

Draft picks: End of first-round or second-round pick (compensation)

Key-position player adds more value to any move. Has been durable and missed just one game in three years so clubs won't hesitate on a long-term deal. A four or five-year deal could determine what the Giants are left with.

TODD GOLDSTEIN (NORTH MELBOURNE)

Draft picks: End of second-round or third-round pick (compensation)

Whether the 31-year-old gets a third year added to his deal would be the difference in what pick the Roos would get in return.

JAMIE ELLIOTT (COLLINGWOOD)

Seeking a two-year deal at the Pies, would a rival club trump them with three to get him to leave considering there's no pick required? Would be a contract based around trigger clauses for games played. Turns 27 in August and has played nine games in two seasons.

JACK NEWNES (ST KILDA)

Prior to getting dropped in round 15, the 26-year-old had played 122 consecutive matches so there's no concerns over his durability. Expected to see what's on offer at the Saints after a new coach is appointed. Length of any deal would be crucial to the compensation.

STEPHEN HILL (FREMANTLE)

Draft picks: Third-round pick or nothing (compensation)

Body concerns in the past two seasons will hurt but a club may be open to a healthy one or two-year deal for a readymade player who could play a key part in a premiership.

SAM JACOBS (ADELAIDE)

Draft picks: Third-round pick or nothing (compensation)
    Value on open market: $250,000-350,000 per season

Finds himself on the outer at the Crows with Reilly O'Brien now assuming the No.1 ruck mantle. Would be interest for the 31-year-old if he was to pursue a move elsewhere, given the lack of quality ruckmen on offer.

*Free agency compensation is awarded to the departing club based on the value and length of the contract the free agent signs at his new club.

And those contracted...
    BRADLEY HILL (FREMANTLE)

Draft picks: Mid-to-late first-round pick
    Value on open market: $700,000-800,000 per season

All the power rests with Fremantle. The Dockers plan to keep him to his 2021 contract, despite his indications to move back to Victoria at some stage over the next two seasons. Won't be short of suitors, but any deal would need to weigh in the Dockers' favour. Moved for pick 23 as a 23-year-old triple premiership player three years ago.

JONATHON PATTON (GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY)

Draft picks: Third-round pick
    Value on open market: $550,000-650,000 per season

Sounds like plenty but that's the ballpark of his existing deal for 2020. The Giants tried to offload Patton last year, but he appears destined for the Hawks this time around. Like Scully, expect the remaining salary to be smoothed out by adding a second or third year. Doesn't have the value to be demanding a strong pick.

BRYCE GIBBS (ADELAIDE)

Draft picks: Third-round pick

Would be a move made purely to clear money and find a club prepared to take as much of the 30-year-old's remaining two-year deal as possible. The Crows would need to pay a significant part of it.

AIDEN BONAR (GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY)

Draft picks: Early second-round pick

Much like Will Setterfield (GWS to Carlton) last year, Victorian clubs are circling halfway into a healthy four-year deal that was topped up handsomely for seasons 2020 and 2021.

21. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post