Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  44
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 JLT Series - Match 2 Western Bulldogs v St Kilda

Realistically I think we are tracking as expected in Bevo's evolution. Off season we lost some experience in Roughead, Dalhaus, Biggs, Redpath and whilst they weren't setting the world on fire I'm sure their influence and leadership around the team is going to leave a void.
    My expectations were low on the back of what we brought in, of these I think Lloyd will be a very good pickup and Durea adds some experience and kicking skills . Smith obviously looks a talent.
    So our performances so far haven't been far off what I expected tbh. Not enjoyable of course, but that's the reality.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even when we won the flag our kicking skills were a bit edgy. Something that's been dragging us down for a while. Between the ears or skills coaching?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    But that is what focusing on skills is all about. Executing well under pressure and when Bevo first arriving it was about getting players to kick better with their opposite foot and this year apparently the focus was again on improving our overall skills.
    I know it's a small sample size so far but I'm not sure we have made any improvements.
    I believe the coach has concentrated on the skills at training, but match conditions are different. Maybe we just overate our players and their skills aren't good enough for AFL level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Schache missed some easy shots yesterday and could have had at least 4 goals. From what I saw he played pretty well, so I think he is a positive from the hitout.

Again I am not too fussed about the two practise matches, I think we did do alot of experimenting, but come round 1 we need to settle players in their right position.

The biggest unknown is will we play Trengove, English, Schache in our 22 - I think we should.
    I can recall one missed shot, I'll have another look at the replay but he's typically a pretty good kick.

I don't think we have a choice in playing all 3.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I can recall one missed shot, I'll have another look at the replay but he's typically a pretty good kick.

I don't think we have a choice in playing all 3.
    Missed in the 3rd and one in the last, about 30 metres out

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I don't know. Saints had a season from hell last year and one thing they have that we don't is experience in their young key position players...they have a positive midfield group and I thought we did well to combat them. The side has copped a fair bit of criticism but has lost 2-games by a combined total of 3-goals and been pretty up and about in terms of effort and commitment around the contest. The handball game clearly seems to be 'back' although the players couldn't quite get the 'when to kick' balance right yesterday...but that will come.
    St.Kilda's midfield is vanilla as it comes, especially when their most dynamic mid is in the stands and their KPP's are battlers too, especially when Carlisle isn't playing and McCartin plays 20min.

Whilst it's nice we were competitive, we've played 2 teams that most think will finish bottom 4, and whilst teams often surprise (think Nth last year) it's more likely than not that they're going to battle.

And by and large our effort & commitment has been pretty good over the last couple of years, amongst a few issues it's mainly been our inability to use the ball effectively that's held us back.. from the short sample we've seen so far it looks that little has changed in that area.

Bring on round 1.

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    When we had only one active ruckman in the game and they were off, we opted to not even contest the ruck and just let the opposition have a free run at it. I think Trengove & English both have to play, and leave Schache forward 100% of the game.
    Schache is the type you can play forward 100% of the time because he gets on his bike, unlike Liam Jones & Tom Boyd. The bigger issue is the effectiveness of the resting ruck
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

10. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two questions

What were people thinking when Naughton lined up in the forward line after being BOG in defence in JLT1?

What were people thinking after seeing Dunkley and co play second ruck once again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Two questions

What were people thinking when Naughton lined up in the forward line after being BOG in defence in JLT1?

What were people thinking after seeing Dunkley and co play second ruck once again?
    Didn't care it was a training drill.

Come the season proper, I don't care as long as we win.

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions

What a great time to try it out...

Couldn't actually care...the new rules in impact are like this:
    1/. Kick in (well, actually the 50m penalty rule 'cos that is so stupid, but let's set that aside).
    2/. 6-6-6
    3/. "Come back to the 9' for defensive marks
    4/. Hands in the back
    5/. Shots on goal after the siren
    99999/. Ruck rule
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions

It sort of made sense but I wished we had two of him.

I don't like it and still don't but given the way we have cut our ruck options I think we have to get used to it and maybe even accept that Bontempelli might have to as well at a pinch

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't care it was a training drill.

Come the season proper, I don't care as long as we win.
    If it's just a training drill why do you get so worked up on every rule change?

Post Thanks / Like

If it's just a training drill why do you get so worked up on every rule change?
    I don't understand your question in relation to my answer to Kruder - no questions on rule changes?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand your question in relation to my answer to Kruder - no questions on rule changes?
    You don't care if we win or lose a JLT game as "it's just a training drill" and yet you challenge any rule change in the same games?

Post Thanks / Like

You don't care if we win or lose a JLT game as "it's just a training drill" and yet you challenge any rule change in the same games?
    Maybe that’s because these rule changes aren’t just JLT though, they are included in the real season.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes bornadog liked this post