Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three Things I've Learned 2015 - Round 1 Edition

1. We are very susceptible to coast to coast goals when the play breaks down across half forward.

2. If the opposition don't get a clean possession out of their defensive 50, we can send it back with interest.

3. Tom Boyd can seize his moments.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 - Matthew Boyd might get another contract
    2 - (Not learned but confirmed) Crameri is a lazy so and so with his set shots. He needs to do better than that
    3 - Bontempelli is displaying elite 'Hawkins like' skills in his second season of football. This shouldn't be happening but I'm glad it is.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    2 - (Not learned but confirmed) Crameri is a lazy so and so with his set shots. He needs to do better than that
    Agreed, it's astounding that he doesn't have a proper routine as a four time club leading goal kicker.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    1 - Matthew Boyd might get another contract
    3 - Bontempelli is displaying elite 'Hawkins like' skills in his second season of football. This shouldn't be happening but I'm glad it is.
    Bonts' 360 out of trouble and rocket left hand hand pass reminded me very much of Hawk.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bevo's game style will be good to watch, win, lose or draw.
    2. Boyd Snr can play a different role successfully
    3. To quote Pete Townshend: "The kids are alright"
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

1. We're still very susceptible to opposition teams getting behind our defence
    2. Our poor overall team defending is still offset by crowding of the ball
    3. Some of our players are better forward runners and users than they thought they were

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    3. Some of our players are better forward runners and users than they thought they were
    1. Starting to think West Coast supporters are bigger pigs than Bomber supporters.

2. Was both embarrassed yet enamoured by 'the pack'. Still not sure, but kids seem to love 'em.

3. Jarrad Grant can be anything Jarrad Grant wants to be.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The, McCartney year's will pay dividends with the new Bevo game plan. We are still strong around the contest in contested possession while being able to spread better. Without Libba and Gryphen we still won the clearances. Positive signs.

2. Bontempelli was untaggable last night. Being heavily tagged was a real concern for me this season, whether he could shake it or not. He'll be ok!

3. Lin Jong will make it. He has plenty to learn still but so far he has learnt so much in a short period. He has the ability to walk out of congestion with ease and find himself 5 metres in the clear.

11. Likes NoName liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 Tory DIckson just seems to get better and better
    2 Bontempelli is our fewch
    3 We still need to lower our eyes when kicking into the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Winning in round one is really, really fun!

2. If you could bottle Lin Jong's determination, you could make millions. He's come a long way in a short time and I think there's still plenty to come.

3. Getting through a game like that can give you a real shot of confidence. Yes there were mistakes, yes it wasn't pretty, but we held on and that's all that counts on the ladder.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Spot on. It's infuriating to watch when it happens because it happens so often.

However with the way Beveridge has the boys playing we are more attacking and its risk for reward. Whereas last couple of seasons we would move sideways and backwards to often so our counter attack was less potent. You will be always left open when attacking more. We need to find the correct balance on how to set up defence while pushing forward. It did get better by the end of the game. It's only round 1 and I have full confidence that Beveridge knows how to fix up leaking the easy goals.

15. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Bontempelli exhibits greatness.
    2. The team is working for each other, with faith in each other.
    3. There is a fine wine brewing in Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

1. The hype around some of our younger players in the pre-season wasn't overstated.
    2. Our defence takes too long to organise itself after a turnover.
    3. Jeremy McGovern is some kind of player, went between 2-3 opponents without a whole lot of help all night and won 14 turnovers. Shades of Brian.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

With respect to your point 1, I gather the issue is that we need to fine-tune the extent of our forward press somehow because that is why we get hurt on the rebound (and the kick-ins) so easily - but I'm sure Bevo can do that. At the moment, we have the press set on something like turbo or 11 and it does have considerable benefits but it also leaves us open to the break out play. Just got to hit a balance. One thing that would make a big difference to the defensive rebounds inflicted on us, is us holding more marks in the forward 50 and kicking to leads inside the 50m arc. I think the press becomes particularly over committed when the forwards aren't taking marks.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

1 Big bodies in the forward line straighten us up - just get front and centre of the pack
    2 It was good to see us come from behind (3 goals) on 3 occasions, dont make it a habit
    3 I liked Talias game, need to persist and get games into him