Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Johannisen set to double his value in next deal with Western Bulldogs

DOGS LOOK TO LOCK IN NORM

Western Bulldogs Defender Jason Johannisen will begin contract talks with Western Bulldogs as soon as possible to remain at the club for the long term.
    Speaking on SEN this morning alongside Robert Murphy. Jason plans to sit down with the Western Bulldogs about an extension were imminent.
    The 24 year old Norm Smith Medalist is a hot target for Western Australian Clubs but Jason reinforced that he's here for the long run with Captain Bob Murphy also suggesting that the players may give up some future pay to keep Jason.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs will 'pass the hat around' to keep JJ

THE Western Bulldogs will "pass the hat around" to ensure Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen remains at the club next season.

The dynamic running defender would command big money on the open market after his best on ground performance in last year's Grand Final victory against Sydney.

Johannisen – who is out of contract at the end of this year – said talks with the Bulldogs about an extension were imminent.

"Hopefully a deal gets done soon," Johannisen told SEN on Wednesday morning.
    Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy was confident that Johannisen wouldn't be going anywhere.

"He's a star and if that means we have to pass the hat around for loose change to keep him, that's how we'll do it," Murphy said.
    Johannisen has played 64 games for the Bulldogs after being taken with the 105th overall pick in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.

Opposition teams are sure to put more effort into finding ways to negate Johannisen's influence off half-back.

But the speedy Dog himself believes that would be a dangerous tactic with other players capable of filling the role.

"The way our team plays, we're going to have a lot of players that will give us drive," Johannisen said.
    "If someone gives me a bit of tension we'll have Bob (Murphy) or Shane Biggs or Matthew Boyd running ragged.

"So if it comes, it comes, but I think we can deal with it."

The Bulldogs came from nowhere to claim the flag last season, winning three finals on the road before upsetting the Swans to end a 62-year premiership drought.
    Johannisen said the Bulldogs had discussed how they would handle the increased expectations as the reigning premiers.

"We spoke about it, but the power of this group is that 2016 is behind us and it's going to be a fresh new season," he said.

"All we can concentrate on each session is trying to get better."

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Johannisen has played 64 games for the Bulldogs after being taken with the 105th overall pick in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.
    Not even the best 105th pick in our history
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Another example of lazy journalism.
    JJ was actually taken at pick 39 in the 2010 rookie draft. The 2012 draft was just the rookie upgrade.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    JJ was actually taken at pick 39 in the 2010 rookie draft. The 2012 draft was just the rookie upgrade.
    Thanks. I thought he was one of our super rookie brigade. For a club that couldn't even afford a full compliment of rookies for a few years in a row we have done spectacularly well with the players we actually did get.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Upgraded with pick 105.

Post Thanks / Like

2010 was a terrible terrible draft - yet we picked up Wallis & Libba in the draft then Dahlhaus and JJ in the rookie draft.

If there was ever a year I'd point to as the catalyst for building a premiership list, 2010 is it. Nobody got close to us, worst draft in living memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    2010 was a terrible terrible draft - yet we picked up Wallis & Libba in the draft then Dahlhaus and JJ in the rookie draft.

If there was ever a year I'd point to as the catalyst for building a premiership list, 2010 is it. Nobody got close to us, worst draft in living memory.
    We got 2 of the best 5 players in the draft in the rookie draft. Talk about doing more with less.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about that. From that draft year you can make the following side, which seems fairly competent:

FB: M. Hibberd, T. McDonald, J. McGovern
    HB: J. Johannisen, S. Day, B. Smith
    C: A. Gaff, D. Heppell, C. Guthrie
    HF: L. Dahlhaus, J. Darling, I. Smith
    FF: J. Jenkins, T. Lynch, P. Puopolo
    R: S. Lycett, L. Parker, T. Liberatore

B: M. Wallis, J. Howe, S. Atley, D. Prestia

Em: A. Johnson, H. Bennell, D. Swallow

And that still leaves J. Cripps, J. Batchelor, P. Seedsman, J. Polec, R. Conca, B. Jacobs, R. Lester, A. Young, J. Lyons, W. Langford, B. Smedts, A. Fasolo, D. Gorringe, T. Derickx, A. Phillips
    Last edited by soupman; 10-02-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not sure about that. From that draft year you can make the following side, which seems fairly competent:

R: S. Lycett, L. Parker, D. Prestia

B: M. Wallis, J. Howe, S. Atley, D. Swallow

Em: A. Johnson, H. Bennell, J. Cripps

And that still leaves J. Batchelor, P. Seedsman, J. Polec, R. Conca, B. Jacobs, R. Lester, A. Young, J. Lyons, W. Langford, B. Smedts, A. Fasolo, D. Gorringe, T. Derickx, A. Phillips
    You seem to be missing a pretty good player in that side.

A certain T Liberatore would surely think "What about me?"
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

You seem to be missing a pretty good player in that side.

A certain T Liberatore would surely think "What about me?"
    Fixed. He was on my list, just got lost between the centre line and the ruckline. In my defence it was late.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

R: S. Lycett, L. Parker, T. Liberatore

B: M. Wallis, J. Howe, S. Atley, D. Prestia

Em: A. Johnson, H. Bennell, D. Swallow

And that still leaves J. Cripps, J. Batchelor, P. Seedsman, J. Polec, R. Conca, B. Jacobs, R. Lester, A. Young, J. Lyons, W. Langford, B. Smedts, A. Fasolo, D. Gorringe, T. Derickx, A. Phillips
    So many of those kids were later picks or late developers - and I'd put up almost any draft against them.

The top 10 reads like this:

1 David Swallow East Fremantle WAFL Gold Coast
    2 Harley Bennell Peel Thunder WAFL Gold Coast
    3 Sam Day Sturt SANFL Gold Coast
    4 Andrew Gaff Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup West Coast
    5 Jared Polec Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Brisbane Lions
    6 Reece Conca Perth WAFL Richmond
    7 Josh Caddy Northern Knights TAC Cup Gold Coast
    8 Dyson Heppell Gippsland Power TAC Cup Essendon
    9 Dion Prestia Calder Cannons TAC Cup Gold Coast
    10 Daniel Gorringe Norwood SANFL Gold Coast

I deliberately left off the players selected 11-20 as apart from Tom Lynch (gun) the rest are failures or disappointments. Only Atley (pre-season legend like Higgins with less ability and output) Smith and Jacobs (re-emerged as a decent tagger and you con find better ones on any rookie list) are still around.

From the team above McGovern is on the outer do to his inability to stick to zone positioning, Guthrie is horribly overrated by Geelong, Darling goes missing every finals campaign, Parker is a B grader talked up to A grade level, Lycett is ok but average, Howe plays 3 good minutes every game and that's it, Atley is Gav Urqhardt mk 2, Swallow a plodder, Bennell a headcase and I don't think I'd take any player off the "still leaves" list for free if we were offered them.

We picked the eyes out of that draft, no doubt about it.

Post Thanks / Like

So many of those kids were later picks or late developers - and I'd put up almost any draft against them.

The top 10 reads like this:

1 David Swallow East Fremantle WAFL Gold Coast
    2 Harley Bennell Peel Thunder WAFL Gold Coast
    3 Sam Day Sturt SANFL Gold Coast
    4 Andrew Gaff Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup West Coast
    5 Jared Polec Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Brisbane Lions
    6 Reece Conca Perth WAFL Richmond
    7 Josh Caddy Northern Knights TAC Cup Gold Coast
    8 Dyson Heppell Gippsland Power TAC Cup Essendon
    9 Dion Prestia Calder Cannons TAC Cup Gold Coast
    10 Daniel Gorringe Norwood SANFL Gold Coast

I deliberately left off the players selected 11-20 as apart from Tom Lynch (gun) the rest are failures or disappointments. Only Atley (pre-season legend like Higgins with less ability and output) Smith and Jacobs (re-emerged as a decent tagger and you con find better ones on any rookie list) are still around.

From the team above McGovern is on the outer do to his inability to stick to zone positioning, Guthrie is horribly overrated by Geelong, Darling goes missing every finals campaign, Parker is a B grader talked up to A grade level, Lycett is ok but average, Howe plays 3 good minutes every game and that's it, Atley is Gav Urqhardt mk 2, Swallow a plodder, Bennell a headcase and I don't think I'd take any player off the "still leaves" list for free if we were offered them.

We picked the eyes out of that draft, no doubt about it.
    McGovern was All Australian this year, hardly on the outer. He also finished 6th in their B&F.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed. He was on my list, just got lost between the centre line and the ruckline. In my defence it was late.
    It's that haircut. It doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    McGovern was All Australian this year, hardly on the outer. He also finished 6th in their B&F.
    I think he's been confused with McKenzie.

On balance, it looks like a pretty handy team from the 2010 draft - that we've got 4 high quality players is a huge result.