Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: JJ Signs deal for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Completely agree, why should we worry about their salary.
    So if we took Trav Cloke on his $600,000 salary at Collingwood you would've been fine?
    Taking on Suckling at $600,000 maybe, would've been fine?

To make an informed decision about the worth of a contract, one needs to understands numbers right? By this line of thinking paying him $1,000,000 and celebrate in his re-signing. Knowing the dollar cost of a long contract in an environment of limited salary cap seems important enough a thing to know, or have interest in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So if we took Trav Cloke on his $600,000 salary at Collingwood you would've been fine?
    Taking on Suckling at $600,000 maybe, would've been fine?

To make an informed decision about the worth of a contract, one needs to understands numbers right? By this line of thinking paying him $1,000,000 and celebrate in his re-signing. Knowing the dollar cost of a long contract in an environment of limited salary cap seems important enough a thing to know, or have interest in.
    The club is not that stupid, and it is not my problem. They can manage the salary cap and dish out what they feel each player is worth. Once it is all done, then I have don't have an issue.

The media are the ones banging on about guys like Tom Boyd and it just gets tiresome.

If you enjoy playing with the dollars, then have fun.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club is not that stupid, and it is not my problem. They can manage the salary cap and dish out what they feel each player is worth. Once it is all done, then I have don't have an issue.

The media are the ones banging on about guys like Tom Boyd and it just gets tiresome.

After I win Oz Lotto, I will. But I thought you were our resident numbers man?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And look what its done to Tom Boyd . We the public should have no knowledge of what players earn or are speculated to earn we are fans of the game not the wage they earn or their private lives.
    Let the clubs do the wheeling and dealing in private, all we need to know is who we have on our list and how to win a flag with it .
    I'm totally against invading people's lives. Back in the Lou Richards writing days they talked about the game and kept it at that. That's our business and it's all it should be.
    Media is a disgrace nowadays in their reporting and player spying and speculation , just report what's true. Not make up rubbish. They are reporters not the story makers. It's become about them and who can speculate the best.
    Bring back the biff

7. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a sport where there is a salary cap, and a clubs ability to bring in players from other clubs is impacted by how much they are paying current players - then of course it has to be a talking point. It is a professional sport - and in every professional sport in the world, like it or not - players contracts become public. If anything, the wages of AFL players are less public than most other sports and it is only really the notable contracts that get made public.

By notable - I mean like when a player moves clubs, or when a player drags out their contract talks with their existing club.

In an ideal world for the footballers - their salaries wouldn't be made public. But this is the reality of professional sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If it's $650K per year, Barrett won't be speculating about anything. That's a fair price and I'd imagine it's unders compared to what his manager was hoping to squeeze out of the market.
    I wonder if his manager is still on board?

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Why ? We have no control over it. It is what it is , its not our business.
    Quite funny how going back no one cared who got what as long as the players stayed now we have been manipulated by the media speculation in the last few years about how much money etc etc , boils down to the club offered what they thought was reasonable and the player signed.
    I hate how the media makes a story out of a story , these journalists are sports journos not money managers , stick to the sport not personal stuff. Just say he signed for 5 years and leave it at that . The AFLs job to watch wages not their business or ours.
    I certainly wouldn't want my wage all over the papers .. Attracts robbers etc.
    we have become " nosey parkers" :-)
    Well said ledge. According to the meeja the bad news is JJ wasn't going to sign and then, when he does sign, it's even worse news!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So if we believe the media, now JJ is staying, Jake Stringer must be leaving then.
    Yep. Jake must be going.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Great news, now he might start concentrating on football.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Great news, now he might start concentrating on football.
    It'd be nice if his teamates stuck their bibs in from time to time and knocked the next *!*!*!*! who gets in JJ's face into the middle of next *!*!*!*!ing week.

12. Likes chef, aker39, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a paying member of our club I'm glad when responsible media tells me how it is spending the money I and my fellow members are contributing.

It's dreadfully important to me that I understand that my club is not pissing money up against the wall on players they shouldn't, or doing the opposite with others who deserve to be treated well.

The key for lay folk like us is to find trusted media and sources of information and trust them, and shun not-trusted media. I don't get pissed off about how our players are portrayed in the media (apart from live calls - I go apeshit over those) and pay attention to trusted sources, like what we get here.

As an aside, the players sign a playing and social contract when they sign up with us. They can't have the privilege of being an AFL footballer without accepting the shortfalls. The latter and its issues are clearly defined, they sign up to the associated pain.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes hujsh, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent, excellent news. Very relieved. I wonder how much the downturn in form contributed to the re-signing and whether suitors cooled because of it.

I'm sure I have no idea what you're on about J, or maybe I do? It's hard to say.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Me J? Or JJ?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    In a sport where there is a salary cap, and a clubs ability to bring in players from other clubs is impacted by how much they are paying current players - then of course it has to be a talking point. It is a professional sport - and in every professional sport in the world, like it or not - players contracts become public. If anything, the wages of AFL players are less public than most other sports and it is only really the notable contracts that get made public.

By notable - I mean like when a player moves clubs, or when a player drags out their contract talks with their existing club.

In an ideal world for the footballers - their salaries wouldn't be made public. But this is the reality of professional sport.
    i believe the new EBA encompasses players wages being made public. Apparently BB in the USA has this clause.
    I am totally against it due to the criminal world knowing who they could target and the pressures that come with it. Eg The gutter media (Barrett) causing mental issues to young guns. I don't care how much money your paid it doesn't compensate or fix it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    i believe the new EBA encompasses players wages being made public. Apparently BB in the USA has this clause.
    I am totally against it due to the criminal world knowing who they could target and the pressures that come with it. Eg The gutter media (Barrett) causing mental issues to young guns. I don't care how much money your paid it doesn't compensate or fix it.

People already know AFL players get a fair whack. I don't think publishing how much they get exposes them to any more chance of being robbed.

I don't want to know because it's none of my business how much a player earns and its incredibly crass taking about how much money people make.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It'd be nice if his teamates stuck their bibs in from time to time and knocked the next *!*!*!*! who gets in JJ's face into the middle of next *!*!*!*!ing week.
    Isn't this why Easton Wood is suspended this week?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Good news.

As pointed out he's a unique player and vital to our on-going success.. Going through a difficult period, but he will come out the other side and be better for the experience.

21. Likes Ozza, Eastdog, Raw Toast liked this post