Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs sniff around for home ground as Ethihad isn't viable

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I don't get the relevance? In what way is Mazda a better sponsor than Mission..
    Oh ok. Let me preface this by saying I'm a teacher, a bit left leaning, not a corporate person at all ( although I used to work in corporate events ). So to be blunt, cars are sexier than bread. Stupid, vain, silly I know. We live in a stupid commercial world. To me anyway, bread is sexier than cars, but not to the commercial world. Stadium deals, sponsorship, it's all wrapped up in it ( wrap, get it har )

If it were possible to have two sponsors I would be all for it. However, I would be quite happy for us to stick by Mission as they are going through the hard yards with us. That being said, I have talked to all manner of business types and heard it many times. Bulldogs need some class support, image wise to get to anywhere within cooee of Collingwood or Carlton and negate the financial disadvantage we are facing. It's a lot about perceptions.
    I agree, we are lucky to have Mission at this period of our growth. ( thank Eddie McGuire, love him or hate him )
    You could counter argue that a food producer is a very good sponsor for the family market. So there are all kinds of arguments.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    So to be blunt, cars are sexier than bread. Stupid, vain, silly I know. We live in a stupid commercial world. To me anyway, bread is sexier than cars, but not to the commercial world.
    Good lord, and I thought I'd heard everything....bread is sexier than cars....
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the strangest debates I've ever seen. I would think the sexiness of our major sponsor would be the lowest priority of all things faced by the club's management. Also Carlton as sponsored by Mars Bars!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh. If Lantern were here, he would get it
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Get that for no reason you think we need a sexy sponsor?

Post Thanks / Like

Lantern was very good. Hopefully he comes back on to WOOF because his posts were very insightful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Get that for no reason you think we need a sexy sponsor?
    I must come across as a bit silly. But anyone with corporate marketing experience knows what I am on about. Greystache is exactly right. Mars is a bizarre fit for Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

I must come across as a bit silly. But anyone with corporate marketing experience knows what I am on about. Greystache is exactly right. Mars is a bizarre fit for Carlton.
    I remember in the EPL Wolverhampton had Doritos chips as its sponsor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This is one of the strangest debates I've ever seen. I would think the sexiness of our major sponsor would be the lowest priority of all things faced by the club's management. Also Carlton as sponsored by Mars Bars!!
    Come on mate. I have respect for the effort you go to when posting, for sure, but I've had over a decade of corporate experience in a sales or sales marketing capacity, and if anything it has taught me that pragmatism resulting in real outcomes outweighs over-reaching towards a concept.

I'm not really convinced Greystache was backing up your point by outlining what you see as an odd fit for Carlton. If anything, I think he was stating that with Mars being mundane but good enough for the Blues, Mission Foods should be good enough for us. Though, I don't really want to speak for him.

Agree that we should be striving for the best commercial and ethical outcome for our club when it comes to entering a relationship with a major sponsor. Though I think the club and the membership needs to be responsible from a fiscal point of view when selecting a sponsor to engage and to enter a partnership with.

If it happens to be a sexy blue chip business, or a second tier FMCG business it doesn't really matter. Ultimately we need to be realistic about the product or brand we have for sale, and realise that it will take a lot more work than a few bells and whistles to make us an attractive long term sponsorship prospect for major businesses, and to create competition within this group of businesses to secure our signature.

Post Thanks / Like

Lantern is in danger of becoming our Martin Luther King.

Post Thanks / Like

The best sponsors are ones that are loyal and pays good dollars without massive demands.

Whether it be Kenny's crap farm or BMW as long as they run a reputable business and support the club all is good IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    The best sponsors are ones that are loyal and pays good dollars without massive demands.

Whether it be Kenny's crap farm or BMW as long as they run a reputable business and support the club all is good IMHO.
    Exactly and Mission is a great fit with our club and have been big supporters. They are a huge company and part of the Gruma Group:

GRUMA is the most globalized food company in Mexico, indisputable worldwide leader in corn flour and tortilla production.

It has an international expansion that includes operations in Mexico, United States, Europe, Central America, Venezuela, Asia and Oceania with the presence of our brands maseca and mission, among others. continues here
    They have pumped in a lot of money and we should appreciate the support.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Come on mate. I have respect for the effort you go to when posting, for sure, but I've had over a decade of corporate experience in a sales or sales marketing capacity, and if anything it has taught me that pragmatism resulting in real outcomes outweighs over-reaching towards a concept.

I'm not really convinced Greystache was backing up your point by outlining what you see as an odd fit for Carlton. If anything, I think he was stating that with Mars being mundane but good enough for the Blues, Mission Foods should be good enough for us. Though, I don't really want to speak for him.

Agree that we should be striving for the best commercial and ethical outcome for our club when it comes to entering a relationship with a major sponsor. Though I think the club and the membership needs to be responsible from a fiscal point of view when selecting a sponsor to engage and to enter a partnership with.

If it happens to be a sexy blue chip business, or a second tier FMCG business it doesn't really matter. Ultimately we need to be realistic about the product or brand we have for sale, and realise that it will take a lot more work than a few bells and whistles to make us an attractive long term sponsorship prospect for major businesses, and to create competition within this group of businesses to secure our signature.
    Fair enough. Agree to disagree. Don't worry/ Greystache always backs me up in everything I post. ^_^
    Seriously, a chocolate company to sponsor elite sports. It's all a ruse - In reality they are sponsored by pokies machines anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We could also work with the stadium to think up ideas on how to reduce costs for these matches. Example, maybe no one sits on the 3rd level for say half the ground as there are costs in providing ushers, security, food stalls etc? Maybe everyone has to sit on level 1 and two? This of course has other implications for reserve seat holders.
    I agree. Reduce the actual game day costs. It looks terrible having a small crowd scattered all over level 3 when there are plenty of seats on level one that could be filled. I have a reserved seat in Aisle 28 & there are plenty of empty seats near us. I think last year (Mothers Day v North Melbourne - away game for us) Bulldogs members could go to the ticket box & get a free upgrade to a seat on level one behind the goals, rather than have to go up to level 3. At least close half of level 3 when a small crowd is expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Last time I checked we train in the "Mission Elite Learning Centre" or something to that effect.
    Which is not the same as selling the naming rights to the ground which is known at Whitten Oval, hence my question. Would we consider it?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers