Thanks Thanks:  345
Likes Likes:  1,797
Page 8 of 147 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I'd prefer to see games in the Clarks, Bedendos, Cleary, Buku types than our guys who are going to be retiring in 1-2 years.
    I get the point you're making but the conclusion you are reaching isn't right.
    Based on his training Clarke needs a couple of weeks at Footscray. Bedendo is injured and a way off even playing for Footscray. Cleary probably needs some more continuity and Buku is probably right in the mix.
    Arty should be around the mark in the next couple of weeks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get the point you're making but the conclusion you are reaching isn't right.
    Based on his training Clarke needs a couple of weeks at Footscray. Bedendo is injured and a way off even playing for Footscray. Cleary probably needs some more continuity and Buku is probably right in the mix.
    Arty should be around the mark in the next couple of weeks.
    We need to see Arty when he is ready. Need his enthusiasm.

4. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could we please get in a DeLorean and convince the Saints to take Bevo and not offer him a 2 year deal!?!?!

6. Likes F'scary, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    We need to see Arty when he is ready. Need his enthusiasm.
    On Friday the young man was sensational with his efforts and he really worked hard with his sprinting. Such an upbeat young man as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Yze, Cox, Caracalla, Buckley, Boyd, Cox

Who can start on Monday?
    I hear you but I doubt there is anything to be gained from making a quick and reactive move. You need to go through a process.

Lets say we move on Bevo, and just to be clear I'm still right behind him, in the next couple of weeks well you can just about back it in that Lade gets the interim role.

Scenario 1 - The Paul Roos example
    We wear a few more losses but by mid season we start to turn it all around and Lade gets on a roll and wins 7 out of the last 8 games we don't make the finals but we've shown enough and some of the younger players have made clear steps.
    He has also played his cards perfectly and has gotten in front of the sponsors and the coterie groups and won them over in his interim capacity by conveying his vision for this club.
    Going out to the market for interviews to get the best candidate is now increasingly difficult because Lade has significant internal support. You don't want to piss off the major club sponsors and have rumblings in the coterie groups as that is a very difficult scenario for the club to manage and one that I wouldn't be confident we have the skills to counter.

Scenario 2 - The Alan Joyce experience
    The club feels like it has to make the move on Bevo as results aren't in line with how we rate the list. As a premiership coach and possibly our most successful one ever it needs to be done in a quick and respectful manner. The problem is that in this industry it's almost impossible to conduct interviews or to canvass candidates without it leaking and then having to manage all the noise it will create and given Bevo isn't a fool he's going to know he is being under minded. That is a poor scenario for us and even if you could somehow make a quick appointment how do you measure if it's the right fit for us? The playing list and the plans around game style and fitness wasn't theirs and you really don't know if they are the right fit because you rushed it.

Scenario 3 - The Rocket Eade example
    Despite sustained and impressive results it's become evident that Bevo has some challenges in taking the list and the club any further. As a club you say all the right things of support but you start a review. You pitch it that we may not have the right footy department set up in place and blame it mainly on the AFL's soft cap. That is a great scenario because it's someone else's fault.
    You start your review but quickly suspect Bevo's done his best and a change is required. You can call in experts like Buckley to get his opinions about our footy department set-up and guess what you can also gauge if he is genuinely someone you might be interested in under the guise that he's a consultant who is helping us out.
    As the weeks drag on and reviews are never quick, a call to Cameron or Gia can be made just to see if they might be interested. You can probably manage that scenario and keep it quiet because they are reading the play. By round 17 or so you announce you are making a change and Bevo steps away handing the keys to Lade who can't do any real damage but who might impress.
    You have also built a list of candidates that you can start working with and if Bevo was to suspect he was in a losing battle by the middle of the season and he jumps early then the club thanks him for his outstanding journey and wishes him all the best.

As fans and supporters we might have to suck it up for a year but scenario 3 works the best in my opinion in getting the appointment right. I hope it never gets to that stage but making change for change sake is a mugs game.

9. Thanks Grantysghost, Prince Imperial, jeemak, Stevo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear you but I doubt there is anything to be gained from making a quick and reactive move. You need to go through a process.

Lets say we move on Bevo, and just to be clear I'm still right behind him, in the next couple of weeks well you can just about back it in that Lade gets the interim role.

We wear a few more losses but by mid season we start to turn it all around and Lade gets on a roll and wins 7 out of the last 8 games we don't make the finals but we've shown enough and some of the younger players have made clear steps.
    He has also played his cards perfectly and has gotten in front of the sponsors and the coterie groups and won them over in his interim capacity by conveying his vision for this club.
    Going out to the market for interviews to get the best candidate is now increasingly difficult because Lade has significant internal support. You don't want to piss off the major club sponsors and have rumblings in the coterie groups as that is a very difficult scenario for the club to manage and one that I wouldn't be confident we have the skills to counter.

The club feels like it has to make the move on Bevo as results aren't in line with how we rate the list. As a premiership coach and possibly our most successful one ever it needs to be done in a quick and respectful manner. The problem is that in this industry it's almost impossible to conduct interviews or to canvass candidates without it leaking and then having to manage all the noise it will create and given Bevo isn't a fool he's going to know he is being under minded. That is a poor scenario for us and even if you could somehow make a quick appointment how do you measure if it's the right fit for us? The playing list and the plans around game style and fitness wasn't theirs and you really don't know if they are the right fit because you rushed it.

Despite sustained and impressive results it's become evident that Bevo has some challenges in taking the list and the club any further. As a club you say all the right things of support but you start a review. You pitch it that we may not have the right footy department set up in place and blame it mainly on the AFL's soft cap. That is a great scenario because it's someone else's fault.
    You start your review but quickly suspect Bevo's done his best and a change is required. You can call in experts like Buckley to get his opinions about our footy department set-up and guess what you can also gauge if he is genuinely someone you might be interested in under the guise that he's a consultant who is helping us out.
    As the weeks drag on and reviews are never quick, a call to Cameron or Gia can be made just to see if they might be interested. You can probably manage that scenario and keep it quiet because they are reading the play. By round 17 or so you announce you are making a change and Bevo steps away handing the keys to Lade who can't do any real damage but who might impress.
    You have also built a list of candidates that you can start working with and if Bevo was to suspect he was in a losing battle by the middle of the season and he jumps early then the club thanks him for his outstanding journey and wishes him all the best.

As fans and supporters we might have to suck it up for a year but scenario 3 works the best in my opinion in getting the appointment right. I hope it never gets to that stage but making change for change sake is a mugs game.
    Are you Chris Grant?

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed but doesn't it all come down to if chompers has lost the players? Clearly I have no idea about that but on performance it may look that way.

Post Thanks / Like

As the weeks drag on and reviews are never quick, a call to Cameron or Gia can be made just to see if they might be interested. You can probably manage that scenario and keep it quiet because they are reading the play. By round 17 or so you announce you are making a change and Bevo steps away handing the keys to Lade who can't do and real damage but who might impress.

This is a good scenario analysis.

I’d be prepared to risk scenario 1, but 3 is the safe bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    [/B]
    Agreed but doesn't it all come down to if chompers has lost the players? Clearly I have no idea about that but on performance it may look that way.
    Anfo, he hasn't lost the players from what I have seen. It's also a footy expression that gets thrown around more than it should.

Post Thanks / Like

[/B]

I think that depends on how he has “lost the players”

are they no longer motivated by him, is he unable to clearly communicate his game plan? = scenario 3

Is there open revolt dislike for him circa end of 2014 = change now

Post Thanks / Like

Anfo, he hasn't lost the players from what I have seen. It's also a footy expression that gets thrown around more than it should.
    If he hasn't lost the players then chompers deserves the chance to fix the mess he created. What did you see in the pre-season when it comes to changing the way we defend? Cause I ain't seen anything to suggest he has done anything new & what I did read was us going back to something that has never waorked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Are you Chris Grant?
    I watch the show Jeopardy so the response should be Who is Chris Grant?

Post Thanks / Like

If he hasn't lost the players then chompers deserves the chance to fix the mess he created. What did you see in the pre-season when it comes to changing the way we defend? Cause I ain't seen anything to suggest he has done anything new & what I did read was us going back to something that has never waorked.
    Do we need to keep making the Chompers reference? While I get that we are all frustrated by our performances to me there is no question that Bevo deserves a bit more respect than that.

What if, and I don't know this for sure, losing Maple and Graham over the last few years is the real root cause of the challenges we are facing?
    It's genuinely perplexing why we are playing so poorly.

19. Thanks The bulldog tragician, azabob, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes chef, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funke disco View Post
    I think that depends on how he has “lost the players”

are they no longer motivated by him, is he unable to clearly communicate his game plan? = scenario 3

Is there open revolt dislike for him circa end of 2014 = change now
    As followers with no inside information its impossible to answer. I believe he hasn't lost the players but its bloody hard to tell with what they are showing us.

Remember the adage of 'Its never as good as its seems & conversely its never as bad as it seems'. I do believe this. After 2016 we were all talking dynasties, must have been drinking our own bath water. Now its sack the coach.

I truly think we can turn it around but we need big changes & strong leadership. I don't think we have strong leadership personally. They say you can't change your tactics once the season starts. Have to wait until pre-season. Rubbish! If we get our pants pulled down every week that will force change. People making noise brings change.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we need to keep making the Chompers reference? While I get that we are all frustrated by our performances to me there is no question that Bevo deserves a bit more respect than that.

What if, and I don't know this for sure, losing Maple and Graham over the last few years is the real root cause of the challenges we are facing?
    It's genuinely perplexing why we are playing so poorly.
    Yeah who started that ffs.

Grow up idiots.

22. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Happy Days liked this post