Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  165
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post-flag plummet was always possible

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    ...mainly because it kills me to see guys like the Bont, Boyd, Dahl etc not get close to their potential.
    Are you sure that Dahl isn't playing up to his potential?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    His kicking is far worse this year. He's struggling to reach 30m.
    He was never a great kick but it's regressed rapidly this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think he has regressed and is no longer capable of doing what he used to be able to do? I'm interested in your thoughts because you have more technical experience than I do. I can't recall a player going of Dahl's age and profile going backwards like this.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't that the reason Dahl wasn't picked in the draft due to his terrible disposal ?
    Didn't he make a video the next year of his kicking to prove it had improved and he was now worth a go?
    Maybe it's just his achillies heel , he just can't kick darts and tends to lob them.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Watch the 2016 final series and that is the level we should expect from dahlhaus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Watch the 2016 final series and that is the level we should expect from dahlhaus
    I think that's what Granty was talking about when he refers to players "One wood". Dalhaus has always been a scrapper, strength is commitment to the contest and decent quick handballs outside. He's never been a great kick but that hasn't stopped him being amazingly affective ala 2014-16. My feel is, after the flag he may have relaxed that intensity as he's now a premiership player and no longer working to make his name. Hopefully he can recapture the hunger that made him very influential. He embodies the culture of our team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think that's what Granty was talking about when he refers to players "One wood". Dalhaus has always been a scrapper, strength is commitment to the contest and decent quick handballs outside. He's never been a great kick but that hasn't stopped him being amazingly affective ala 2014-16. My feel is, after the flag he may have relaxed that intensity as he's now a premiership player and no longer working to make his name. Hopefully he can recapture the hunger that made him very influential. He embodies the culture of our team.

That's what I think too.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to switch on the Bulldog men of mayhem!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's what I think too.
    Yeah I would of thought that we would have been even more motivated still after winning but it looks like we were just content on finally winning again in 2016.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah I would of thought that we would have been even more motivated still after winning but it looks like we were just content on finally winning again in 2016.

I can't understand why when you are in a position to lord it over the rest if the comp why would you pass it up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can't understand why when you are in a position to lord it over the rest if the comp why would you pass it up?
    While it is fantastic to have the unique record of winning the premiership from the lowest position on the ladder it is equally dissapointing to have the record of not making the finals the year after winning the premiership.

Post Thanks / Like

While it is fantastic to have the unique record of winning the premiership from the lowest position on the ladder it is equally dissapointing to have the record of not making the finals the year after winning the premiership.
    I'll be glass half full for this one. We're making history!!!

14. Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a unique record, Hawthorn missed in 2009 and Richmond won flags in 1967 and 1969 but missed the finals in 1968 and 1970.

Post Thanks / Like

MURPHY EXPLAINS THE ISSUES THE DOGS HAVE FACED PSYCHOLOGICALLY SINCE 2016

Former Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy has tried to put into words what has happened with his old side since they won the premiership in 2016.

The Dogs will likely miss finals for the second consecutive year as they sit 14th on the ladder and are dealing with a number of injury issues.

Murphy said he doesn’t think people outside of the club and their supporter base really understand what happened when the club jumped from seventh to premiers in the space of a month.

“With the hunger thing and the premiership hangover thing, I think what needs to be put into context is winning premierships at the Bulldogs was not really on the menu, it was such a foreign thing,” he told the AFL Nation pregame show.

“Whereas clubs like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong, clubs that win premierships, they climb mountains. They get to the mountain and think where’s the next mountain to climb?

"The premiership for the Bulldogs was like the moon and you’re trying to get there and all of a sudden the rocket goes a lot quicker than what it was going to go and you make it.

“This isn’t just the players, this is supporters and everyone involved in that football club was thinking, where to after that?”

“It’s a very complex thing of navigating success after that emotionally.

“The thing with the Dogs I think is that everyone needs to remove the analysis or the marking them against the finals series of 2016, because I don’t know if any side has reached that level of a month of football.”

Murphy believes changes are coming at the Dogs, but he isn’t quite sure that changing up the list is the issue.

“I start to get the sense there’ll be a fair bit of list change, but I think it’s more the psychological of when the club was in crisis and there was a sense of urgency because of how dire things were at the end of 2014,” he said.

“There was a sense of we have to get this absolutely right and that’s living on the edge. When I watch the Dogs at the moment, I don’t get the sense that they’re on the edge.”

The Dogs will take on North Melbourne next Saturday night at Etihad Stadium.

----

To distill this, our ex-skipper is effectively underlining a club weighed down by lack of professionalism and ambition.

That we don't expect to win flags, and we're incapable of handling it when we do.

It's quite gobsmacking to see it put so plainly, by someone who bleeds red, white and blue.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

17. Thanks bulldogtragic, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023