Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The half time break

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    And whats the advantage for you as a spectator?
    Less standing around waiting for the game to restart basically.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet the compromise is 15 minutes. ( I thought it was 15)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the players??? AFL is just about the most demanding sport on the planet. Big field, endless running with collisions coming at you from any direction at any time. If they need 20 minutes then give 'em 20 minutes. I'd be happy to give them half an hour IF THAT IS BEST FOR THE PLAYERS. Why does everything have to be rushed and abbreviated and crammed in to a tight and eternally tighter and tighter schedule? Why is everything force-fed down your throat like you're a dumb, caged Christmas goose. I'm happy to wait, in fact, I LOVE the 'long' half time break. It's a breather for everyone. Waiting is the new black.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    What about the players??? AFL is just about the most demanding sport on the planet. Big field, endless running with collisions coming at you from any direction at any time. If they need 20 minutes then give 'em 20 minutes. I'd be happy to give them half an hour IF THAT IS BEST FOR THE PLAYERS. Why does everything have to be rushed and abbreviated and crammed in to a tight and eternally tighter and tighter schedule? Why is everything force-fed down your throat like you're a dumb, caged Christmas goose. I'm happy to wait, in fact, I LOVE the 'long' half time break. It's a breather for everyone. Waiting is the new black.
    The reduced break is being considered apparently because the players want it. They would rather stay on the ground and feel the longer break contributes to injuries
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think the quarters and playing time is too long. Maybe keep time on and reduce the quarters by a couple of minutes?
    With the score review and even further proposed changes to it will add more dead time to the game.

We need the game to remain relevant to the younger generation and by potentially increasing the game’s length isn’t the way to do it.
    Take one minute off each quarter, keep the same time on. People would hardly notice. Take off five minutes from the halftime break, run Auskick before the game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Heh!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

This a solution to a problem I wasn't aware we had. Never have I heard anyone previously complain that the game or half time is too long.

Is impatience a growing trend in society? I can understand T20 cricket with 50 over cricket having a tenancy to drag on, but now we have 100 ball cricket and T10 cricket because apparently T20 is too long. Then there's 8/7/6 minute abs.

Chill out and relax, footy is an escape for most of us, what's the hurry?

10. Likes chef, HOSE B ROMERO, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post DD.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Heh!
    The new black: something which is suddenly extremely popular or fashionable.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    This a solution to a problem I wasn't aware we had. Never have I heard anyone previously complain that the game or half time is too long.

Is impatience a growing trend in society? I can understand T20 cricket with 50 over cricket having a tenancy to drag on, but now we have 100 ball cricket and T10 cricket because apparently T20 is too long. Then there's 8/7/6 minute abs.

Chill out and relax, footy is an escape for most of us, what's the hurry?
    Personally, I just can't stand being bored and having nothing to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Good post DD.
    Except as previously stated it's based on the incorrect premise that the players want the break. They feel the long cool down period increases the risk of injury apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Except as previously stated it's based on the incorrect premise that the players want the break. They feel the long cool down period increases the risk of injury apparently.
    I would like to see if there is anything to that, perhaps instances of soft tissue injuries early in the third quarter. Gut feel is there would be little correlation.

Personally playing I always felt a bit flat early in the third and that was only after I think an 8 minute break. 20 minutes is probably too long for the players, although not everything is about the players. I also read that it takes them about 3 minutes each way to get down and back from the rooms, so that leaves 4 minutes - might as well just stay on the ground.

In the end I think 15 minutes is a fair compromise, 10 is just too short for a large number of fans at the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The reduced break is being considered apparently because the players want it. They would rather stay on the ground and feel the longer break contributes to injuries
    I'm presuming the data backs this up. If so.........well I guess go with what the players want. Gonna be hard to get a pie or a beer in the break though!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm presuming the data backs this up. If so.........well I guess go with what the players want. Gonna be hard to get a pie or a beer in the break though!
    As a social club member would be hard to go at half time now to the Victory room from my seat but it is what it is and I can still enjoy a beer as that is just at the back of Level 1 Aisle 33 in the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I would like to see if there is anything to that, perhaps instances of soft tissue injuries early in the third quarter. Gut feel is there would be little correlation.

Personally playing I always felt a bit flat early in the third and that was only after I think an 8 minute break. 20 minutes is probably too long for the players, although not everything is about the players. I also read that it takes them about 3 minutes each way to get down and back from the rooms, so that leaves 4 minutes - might as well just stay on the ground.

In the end I think 15 minutes is a fair compromise, 10 is just too short for a large number of fans at the game.
    You're probably right on those points.

Further on not everything being about the players I'm sure they also don't want to be answering questions on the bench or at half time but they do it anyway (for the money but still)