Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  156
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V West Coast Eagles R2 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Look at what causes the log jam.

In that era nobody took a great mark 70 metres from goal and then slowly walked back 20 metres and did a nice 15 metre pass.

All that does is give the opposition time to man up. But it is an important part of our game strategy. See it at least 10 times a match.
    The players need to read the state of the game and where/how many bulldogs players and opposition players are in the forward 50.

There were times against the Pies where we were certainly too cautious and slow to move the ball, but it was somewhat understandable given haphazard entries (like when Naughton played on and kicked to Bailey Smith v 3 Pies players resulting in their first goal at the other end) are very risky when you have the likes of Moore and Howe picking them off.

There are times to hit the accelerator and times to hold things up. Decision making is key.

2. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The thing I find a little bemusing at times is lacking some tempo.
    I've got a mate who does casual opposition analysis for an AFL side and the default defence against us is to get numbers back force a turnover (usually on the handball) or intercept mark and slingshot out. All teams do it, we know it.
    I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be an idea to mix up your tempo more often instead of constantly banging your head against a stacked defence.
    I reckon we have the foot skills in the team to take a bit more time.
    I'm hoping to see more of that this season, but maybe there's something im missing!
    Chris Scott perfected this against us years ago, and other teams followed suit. Tom Stewart sleeps in the change rooms before playing against our forwards, he's that excited for the game.

When it is clogged up, we really need to switch gears and retain the ball through short kicking and then try and get the likes of Williams (or JJ when he's back) to load up from around the 50 rather than just pop it high to our outnumbered forwards.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The players need to read the state of the game and where/how many bulldogs players and opposition players are in the forward 50.

There were times against the Pies where we were certainly too cautious and slow to move the ball, but it was somewhat understandable given haphazard entries (like when Naughton played on and kicked to Bailey Smith v 3 Pies players resulting in their first goal at the other end) are very risky when you have the likes of Moore and Howe picking them off.

There are times to hit the accelerator and times to hold things up. Decision making is key.
    You've articulated my point better than I could. That decision to go fast or go slow reading the game situation in that instance.
    Are we below average in our footy iq? Libba is the dux of the class.
    I get Bevo wants to get it in fast and keep it in there, but I'm worried that the new kick out rules combined with our high press / lock it inside 50 means I'll be left with no hair after the 10th goal out the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Margin: WCE by 11 (sorry, but they looked good on the weekend and I am not convinced we are as clinical as they are in finishing)
    Our first goal: Bruce
    Our best on ground: Macrae
    I didn't watch the game but didn't West Coast battle to overcome a Gold Coast team that lost Rowell early on their home deck where they rarely lose? A couple of late goals seems to have flattered them a little.

Post Thanks / Like

To keep it on thread :
    Dogs by 30
    FG McNeil
    BOG Treloar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The thing I find a little bemusing at times is lacking some tempo.
    I've got a mate
    "It's over. It's all over."

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we choose the lesser of two evils a lot of the time, because we simply don't trust the skills of our personnel to kick the ball around in our defencive half and stretch out the defencive zone.

Whether that's right or fair, I don't know. I mean I am confident in Williams, Daniel, JJ and now Dale I suppose, but the likes of Wood, Cordy, Keath and Gardner being relied upon to share the ball around behind centre kind of freaks me out a bit.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Whether that's right or fair, I don't know. I mean I am confident in Williams, Daniel, JJ and now Dale I suppose, but the likes of Wood, Cordy, Keath and Gardner being relied upon to share the ball around behind centre kind of freaks me out a bit.
    Yeah, that's valid. Keath isn't a bad kick and even he completely muffed an easy 15m pass last week. It's probably one of the reasons Dale has been sent back, another penetrating kick coming out of our defensive half.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, that's valid. Keath isn't a bad kick and even he completely muffed an easy 15m pass last week. It's probably one of the reasons Dale has been sent back, another penetrating kick coming out of our defensive half.
    I think Scott is a very good kick as well and I can see why Bevo has put him there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    It's true, we often spend time away at the farm, roasting marshmallows, talking about our netballing wives; you know, pretty much just being habs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Scott is a very good kick as well and I can see why Bevo has put him there.
    He seems tidy enough skill wise but his decision making wasn't great at times. I counted at least 2 or 3 times he kicked to an outnumbered forward contest that Moore just gobbled up. He gets some slack for being on debut, hopefully he can clean up those errors as it looks like Bevo is backing him in to play more games.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are up against it defensively this week. Kennedy, Darling & Allen are all tough opponents. Add in Cripps who is a competent small....and LIAM RYAN who is a frreakinj jet! and its a big ask. I expect our mids to get plenty, but can we keep it away from Barrass & Guv?? It's our Achilles heel. If we can keep the pace on the game a win is possible - we are slick , but if ball movement is slow we better clunk a couple. Misty-optically tipping dogs by 14. Wally 1st goal. BOG Da Bont.
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGentStand View Post
    I think we are up against it defensively this week. Kennedy, Darling & Allen are all tough opponents. Add in Cripps who is a competent small....and LIAM RYAN who is a frreakinj jet! and its a big ask. I expect our mids to get plenty, but can we keep it away from Barrass & Guv?? It's our Achilles heel. If we can keep the pace on the game a win is possible - we are slick , but if ball movement is slow we better clunk a couple. Misty-optically tipping dogs by 14. Wally 1st goal. BOG Da Bont.
    On the flip side, Daniel/Williams/Duryea/Dale should provide us with some good run if we're able to neutralise the high balls. Will be interesting to see if they play NicNat and Vardy plus the other 3 talls, it means they are very top heavy and with limited rotations, we should have some run advantage, especially later in the game.

I'm fairly bullish on this one.

17. Likes JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    On the flip side, Daniel/Williams/Duryea/Dale should provide us with some good run if we're able to neutralise the high balls. Will be interesting to see if they play NicNat and Vardy plus the other 3 talls, it means they are very top heavy and with limited rotations, we should have some run advantage, especially later in the game.

I'm fairly bullish on this one.
    The problem they have is Nic Nat can only play something like 65% game time now the quarters are back to full length. That leaves a lot of ruck time to be picked up by the backup ruckman. If they use a part-timer they risk being dominated in the ruck for significant chunks of the game (aka us the last few seasons), or they play a backup ruck like Vardy and lose run and rotations. Either way we are finally in a position to take advantage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The problem they have is Nic Nat can only play something like 65% game time now the quarters are back to full length. That leaves a lot of ruck time to be picked up by the backup ruckman. If they use a part-timer they risk being dominated in the ruck for significant chunks of the game (aka us the last few seasons), or they play a backup ruck like Vardy and lose run and rotations. Either way we are finally in a position to take advantage.
    They could play Allen in the ruck but that then negates their aerial advantage up forward. It's a dilemma for them and agree, we can take advantage. Having Martin being capable of blunting the opposition's main ruck with English providing a threat both up forward and around the ground is so handy, while also providing a genuine ruck chop out is such a relief.