Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne Carey urges Western Bulldog Jake Stringer to change the way he plays

Link

Wayne Carey has urged faltering Western Bulldogs star Jake Stringer to change the way he plays, with the Bulldogs' premiership defence hanging in the balance.

Carey, one of the game's greatest forwards, with 727 career goals, believes Stringer needs to stop being a player who only flies for the spectacular marks and start working harder for his midfielders.

Stringer, who kicked 56 goals in his 2015 All-Australian season, has managed just 24 from his 15 games this year, including 10 games with one goal or less.

"Now that [Jack] Redpath's out, [Tom] Boyd's not playing … sometimes I think he has to be stronger in his conviction," Carey said.

"He needs to make sure that when they need an outlet, he has to work hard to be that outlet … not allow someone else to be that player.

"Sometimes you need to be that guy."

The Bulldogs head into Saturday's clash with Port Adelaide in Ballarat knowing that a loss could all but end their season.

They sit ninth on the ladder, behind Melbourne and West Coast on percentage and a game ahead of Essendon, who will go in as favourites to beat an injury-riddled Gold Coast outfit later that night.

Stringer, along with Travis Cloke, will spearhead the Dogs' forward line in the absence of Redpath and Boyd.

"Clearly he's an extremely talented footballer and it was only a few years ago that he was All-Australian and what I noticed about him in that year, he's such an explosive athlete and can kick the ball a country mile," Carey said.

"He's got all of these marvellous attributes and it all came together for him. But since then he's changed elements of how he plays.

"He doesn't to me look like he wants to come to the ball carrier. He doesn't want to be the guy sitting under the footy, he wants to be the guy leaping over the back."

In 2015, the Bulldogs' talisman had a lot more support in the forward line. He was aided by Stewart Crameri and Tory Dickson, who combined for 82 goals.

With Crameri sidelined, Carey admits Stringer hasn't had the same support this season, but he wants Stringer to return to being a dynamic beast.

"Players now just sit behind and say 'We're not going to allow you to go back towards goal' and now he's easier to defend.

"When I'm watching him some times I'm saying to myself: 'You've got to come up and make it easier for the ball carrier, not harder for them'.

"Contest to contest to contest to contest, that's how he has to be thinking, not just marking contests."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carey urges Western Bulldog Jake Stringer to change the way he plays

Agree with Carey, we need Jake to stand up, especially this week.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His ghost writer reads WOOF. That reads exactly like the last few pages on Stringer and trade interest.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    His ghost writer reads WOOF. That reads exactly like the last few pages on Stringer and trade interest.
    I thought the same thing. Saw it was a hot topic so bang

Post Thanks / Like

It's just that Wayne's not allowed to call out anyone as harshly in terms of body contact as we are......gun footy player code and all that.....

Funnily, Matty Lloyd can, even though he was a dead set pussy for most of his career. I'm continually baffled by how the Boys Club AFL media works.

You can look for all the excuses you like, and marry them against poor performances, and on balance irrespective of body related excuses, Jake has performed below par for a while now.

He's not hard enough, he drops his head, and he doesn't run.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

His work rate is very ordinary for someone so talented. His second efforts are non existent. If things don't go his away early he doesn't try and work himself into the game. You can always tell early in the game if he is on or not.

He needs a massive pre season as talent will only take you so far.

I would play him off half back and let him back himself running straight at the ball and getting his confidence back.

I'm not sold on him having another year like his All Australian. The game passes you by quickly if you are not committed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Indeed. A few of us have literally posted exactly what was in the article over the past week.

When Stringer first came onto the scene, I was incredibly excited by what we had. An explosive, strong, skillful match winner - I made a comment that I thought he would be a Top 5 player in the competition.

His fall from grace has been catastrophic. He looks fitter and stronger than he's ever been, but as jeemak notes - he's not hard enough, his body language is awful and he refuses to work hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Indeed. A few of us have literally posted exactly what was in the article over the past week.

When Stringer first came onto the scene, I was incredibly excited by what we had. An explosive, strong, skillful match winner - I made a comment that I thought he would be a Top 5 player in the competition.

His fall from grace has been catastrophic. He looks fitter and stronger than he's ever been, but as jeemak notes - he's not hard enough, his body language is awful and he refuses to work hard.
    I think you are owed a commission.

I'm confused by what has been the cause of his poor form, but what it is severe. If North (rumoured) for whatever reason offered 'overs', I'm not sure we could knock it back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's just that Wayne's not allowed to call out anyone as harshly in terms of body contact as we are......gun footy player code and all that.....

Funnily, Matty Lloyd can, even though he was a dead set pussy for most of his career. I'm continually baffled by how the Boys Club AFL media works.

You can look for all the excuses you like, and marry them against poor performances, and on balance irrespective of body related excuses, Jake has performed below par for a while now.

He's not hard enough, he drops his head, and he doesn't run.
    I agree with what Carey has said 100%. The one game this year that he consistently led up at the ball carrier was v St.Kilda - and he kicked 5 goals.

Can't agree with your assessment on Lloyd as a footballer. He was far from a 'pussy'. Very hard footballer. You don't consistently put up the performances Lloyd did, playing as a key forward, and be a pussy. One of my best mates played on Lloyd several times, and actually got knocked out (fairly - in those days standards) by him one night - and he certainly didn't think Lloyd was anything but a fierce competitor.

Post Thanks / Like

I was really impressed with his leading in the early parts of the Carlton game before he popped a hammy, but he was often ignored by his teammates... but he was back to his old ways last week which was disappointing.

Hopefully he is on the move this week as he is a very dangerous player when he does, but it might be out of necessity more than want as standing still might lead to hypothermia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I was really impressed with his leading in the early parts of the Carlton game before he popped a hammy, but he was often ignored by his teammates... but he was back to his old ways last week which was disappointing.

Hopefully he is on the move this week as he is a very dangerous player when he does, but it might be out of necessity more than want as standing still might lead to hypothermia.
    Maybe after a three week layoff it affected his game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe after a three week layoff it affected his game.
    His best game of the year (v Saints) was off a 3 week layoff also - so I'm not sure we can excuse last week's leading patterns (or lack of).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    His best game of the year (v Saints) was off a 3 week layoff also - so I'm not sure we can excuse last week's leading patterns (or lack of).
    True.

He should have nailed at least 3 goals last week, but he was also moved around a bit playing midfield, backline, and rarely deep in the forward line. He will be better for the run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I agree with what Carey has said 100%. The one game this year that he consistently led up at the ball carrier was v St.Kilda - and he kicked 5 goals.

Can't agree with your assessment on Lloyd as a footballer. He was far from a 'pussy'. Very hard footballer. You don't consistently put up the performances Lloyd did, playing as a key forward, and be a pussy. One of my best mates played on Lloyd several times, and actually got knocked out (fairly - in those days standards) by him one night - and he certainly didn't think Lloyd was anything but a fierce competitor.
    Good insight. Perhaps I overreached on my assessment of Lloyd, it might be my hatred for all things Essendon but much of what I recall of Lloyd are some of the cheaper or dirtier things he did over the years.

I don't disagree with Carey on his view that Jake needs to lead to the carrier more often.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.