Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Caleb Daniel and Tim English staying at kennel

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...-sign-20220525

SportAFLAFL 2022
    Bulldogs big man to turn his back on WA teams, another key free agent also set to sign
    Jake Niall
    By Jake Niall
    May 25,

Ruckman Tim English is set to turn his back on the prospect of heading home to Western Australia by signing a new deal with the Western Bulldogs.

Free agent and all-Australian small defender Caleb Daniel is also close to agreement on a new deal that will keep him at Whitten Oval, with the Dogs also keen to re-contract a number of other key players including Josh Dunkley and free agent defender Bailey Dale.

English has long been speculated as a potential recruit for West Coast and Fremantle, but the highly talented 207-centimetre ruckman - who has shown an ability to play forward, too - has decided to stick with the 2021 grand finalists and will sign a new deal soon, likely to be for three seasons.

English, 24, held appeal for the WA clubs, but circumstances - and his happiness at the Bulldogs - have put him off the table for those clubs. West Coast’s disastrous season means the club is entering a list rebuild and would hold less appeal for a player about to come in to his prime, when he can sign a medium-length deal.

The Eagles also have other list priorities, given that they have veteran star ruckman Nic Naitanui, 32, and have a need for high-end young midfield talent, which is most easily found with their imminent early pick in this year’s draft and probably in the 2023 draft’s first round.

As a source familiar with English’s situation observed, it makes more sense for him to re-sign with the Bulldogs for at least the next couple of years, given Naitanui’s presence and the reality that West Coast will be in a draft-based rebuild and that the Bulldogs have the playing list capable of contending for the premiership in the next two or three years.

Fremantle already have a long-term ruckman in Victorian Sean Darcy and the Dockers’ most pressing need is for a key position forward, rather than another ruckman.

The Dogs had arguably the most significant array of free agents and out of contract players in 2022, having secured their outstanding midfielder Jack Macrae, a free agent, on a five-year deal, before moving on to English and Daniel.

The Dogs also have Tom Liberatore as a free agent, but he is set to reach a trigger clause that would give him a one-year extension and keep the 30-year-old clearance inside midfielder at the club.

Dale, a 2021 All-Australian and mainstay of their defence, is in the same category as Daniel as a restricted free agent, meaning the Bulldogs could match any deal that he is offered and force a trade.

Dunkley, out of contract this year, sought a trade to Essendon in 2020 when he was under contract for a further two years and the Bulldogs held firm with a demand for two first round picks - terms that the Bombers were unwilling to meet.

English will be a free agent after his next contract, whether he signs for two or three years.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Thanks josie, GVGjr, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caleb Daniel and Tim English staying at kennel

I am comfortable that we will easily sign the players we really want to keep.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think we'll lose one of them personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Must keep Bailey Dale.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent result
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Could we lose Bailey Smith? I hope not, such an excitement machine and marketing boom for the club. He seems to be loved by fellow players & seems to love the club. Cannot see him moving to a club lower part of ladder. Hawks doing ok, and he barracked for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I think we'll lose one of them personally.
    You both are saying the same thing. Devil is in the detail of what EW didn’t say.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You both are saying the same thing. Devil is in the detail of what EW didn’t say.
    Haha. You're right, I think we're on the same page.

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Footy gods can be really cruel. If Nic natanui not injured in 2018, he would have been a premiership player. His going to finish his career at a club going through rebuild.

Easy to talk in hindsight, but he would have been handy for us over the last 2 years.

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You a smart one.

But then I already knew that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    As a source familiar with English’s situation observed, it makes more sense for him to re-sign with the Bulldogs for at least the next couple of years, given Naitanui’s presence and the reality that West Coast will be in a draft-based rebuild and that the Bulldogs have the playing list capable of contending for the premiership in the next two or three years.
    I mean…not not concerning right?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I mean…not not concerning right?

It's standard I think. He's positioning for his big contract. I'm sure any/all agents would look to get their players to do that.