Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  220
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Game Day V St. Kilda - Week 1 2020 Elimination Final Two

I really rate Battle looks better every game, a good out for us.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Sounds like he's facing an uphill Battle to get up for the game.
    I just hope they don't lose the battle but win the war.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckers! Yes!

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Suckers! Yes!
    If I start getting called that I might have to acknowledge a critical flaw in my approach.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Preview of all 4 games from Craig Jensen. Ours is about 3/4 of the way through. Don’t always agree with him but always fascinating and good insight.

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/whateley/

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...finals-history

Bulldogs and Saints: A (brief) finals history
    Here’s a snapshot of the brief finals history between the Bulldogs and St Kilda.

The Western Bulldogs and St Kilda will meet this Saturday for just the fifth time in a final, in a period spanning 95 years.

Since the Bulldogs entered the VFL competition in 1925, there have been 162 games between the two clubs, but only four contests at the business end of the season.

Despite there being fewer teams in the VFL competition, it wasn’t until 1961 that the teams met in a final, and there was another 31-year wait until the Semi Final of 1992.

The Dogs and Saints then played back-to-back preliminary finals in 2009 and 2010.

The ledger stands at two wins apiece heading into this weekend’s Elimination Final at the Gabba.

Here’s a snapshot of the brief finals history between the Bulldogs and St Kilda:

1961 Semi Final at the MCG (Bulldogs 69 defeated Saints 60)

In front of over 86,000 fans, the Dogs established a 20-point lead by three quarter time and held on to win by nine points. Merv Hobbs booted three goals for the Dogs, with Ted Whitten and John Schultz among his team-mates that day.

1992 Semi Final at Waverley Park (Bulldogs 119 defeated Saints 90)

Chris Grant booted five goals and collected 25 disposals as the Bulldogs comfortably defeated the Saints to reach the Preliminary Final. A dominant first three quarters set up a 55-point advantage at the final change, before the Dogs eased their way to victory.

2009 Preliminary Final at the MCG (Saints 60 defeated Bulldogs 53)

A heart-breaking loss to Bulldogs in a low-scoring affair. The Dogs led for most of the match, and were ahead on the scoreboard in the last quarter heading into time-on, before Nick Riewoldt kicked the final two goals of the game.

2010 Preliminary Final at the MCG (Saints 88 defeated Bulldogs 64)

A year on from their finals exit to St Kilda, the Bulldogs again failed to reach the last Saturday in September. Again, they led at half time (by six points), but a seven-goal third term from the Saints blew the game open and led them to a 24-point win.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs by 17

First Goal Bruce

BOG: The Bont
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post

2009 Preliminary Final at the MCG (Saints 60 defeated Bulldogs 53)

A heart-breaking loss to Bulldogs in a low-scoring affair. The Dogs led for most of the match, and were ahead on the scoreboard in the last quarter heading into time-on, before Nick Riewoldt kicked the final two goals of the game.
    Oh yeah. This is exactly what I needed to be reminded of right now.

Rock me to sleep!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Oh yeah. This is exactly what I needed to be reminded of right now.

Rock me to sleep!
    Yeah another game best forgotten.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to sound stupid but I think this was the game when I realised we were never going to PLAY IN (let alone win) a grand final whilst I was alive. A sad thing to think whilst still in your 30's!

I was obviously wrong but this game was a devastating defeat.

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to sound stupid but I think this was the game when I realised we were never going to PLAY IN (let alone win) a grand final whilst I was alive. A sad thing to think whilst still in your 30's!

I was exactly the same (other than being in my late 20s). It was the most defeating of losses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I was exactly the same (other than being in my late 20s). It was the most defeating of losses.
    I think it's that 2009 prelim loss that has me wanting us to win on saturday against that mob more than another team. It really shouldn't matter. It was over 10 years ago and we've won a flag since and they haven't. But for some reason it does.

In saying that, the pain from the 97 loss to the crows seems to have worn off. Perhaps it takes a premiership AND 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the most devastated I’ve ever felt after a game... way worse than ‘97.

We were all over St.Kilda and didn’t put them away when we had the chance and were on the end of some disgusting umpiring.

That result doesn’t sit well with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    100000000%

I have said it before but '97 was such a wild, crazy and UNEXPECTED ride that for me the loss was bad but I just loved that team and was 100% confident we would "get 'em next year".

Hence my new life philosophy - If you ever get a chance, you had better bloody well take it.
    :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

We were all over St.Kilda and didn’t put them away when we had the chance and were on the end of some disgusting umpiring.

That result doesn’t sit well with me.
    Likewise. Rest of that weekend was a torturous, sleep deprived shambles.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs