Thanks Thanks:  246
Likes Likes:  1,440
Page 44 of 137 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Where did he do his best work? Was it delivering the ball I50 or was it the work he did I50?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Treloar. Bonts.

Some of his kicking I50 was poor. His work inside 50 on the other hand…
    I understand that he had two kicks that were clearly effective but they seemed to occur when starting high and finishing low rather than starting low, going high and then finishing low again - which is what Cody usually does.

Could be wrong, it's difficult to tell starting positions given the ridiculously poor close up nature of the coverage and the lack of analysis the coverage brings.

Additionally I understand his kicking wasn't great great, but he did a huge amount of gut running and I don't think we should be giving that up.

But, if you think Baz can all of a sudden play a high marking, high pressure and ground ball role like Cody does on the back of a couple of goals then great. It's an extremely tough role and I just don't see it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I understand that he had two kicks that were clearly effective but they seemed to occur when starting high and finishing low rather than starting low, going high and then finishing low again - which is what Cody usually does.

Could be wrong, it's difficult to tell starting positions given the ridiculously poor close up nature of the coverage and the lack of analysis the coverage brings.

Additionally I understand his kicking wasn't great great, but he did a huge amount of gut running and I don't think we should be giving that up.

But, if you think Baz can all of a sudden play a high marking, high pressure and ground ball role like Cody does on the back of a couple of goals then great. I don't see it.
    Yep.. the opportunities he got inside 50, were as a result of burning off his opponent further upfield and running into the play unfolding inside 50, not from a dedicated starting point inside 50. His gut running up and down the ground was huge all night.

3. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But, if you think Baz can all of a sudden play a high marking, high pressure and ground ball role like Cody does on the back of a couple of goals then great. It's an extremely tough role and I just don't see it.
    In a perfect world… it’s not unfortunately. Necessity is the mother of innovation. Someone has to replace Cody out of necessity. I like Smith and putting it on Treloar to step it up. I’m prepared to back this 2021 PF Smith to be the 2016 PF Smith. Hard, runs, burst pace, versatile and can kick a goal. Ideally suited to elsewhere in a perfect world, but can give opposition coach headaches. Our options other are .5 goal a game players who’ve been in and out of the side. Smith has them covered and our mega deep midfield can cover that gut running if they all step up. Especially Treloar. No one is ‘replacing’ Cody outside of Marra who won’t get picked. The best option to cover him for a game I think is Smith.

Well soon enough see what Bevo thinks.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Bazlenka's kicking is up for discussion - how can someone kick a goal like the "Ice in Veins" one on Saturday night, but then so frequently miss his targets into the forward 50. He seems to hit up the opposition's intercept marker so regularly.

For me, his issue isn't how straight he kicks, but more his depth. He frequently over- and under-kicks the ball. When going for goal on the run, it's not an issue as he kicks through it and distance doesn't matter.

As for his left foot kicking, I think he's done a huge amount of work this year and it's starting to come along nicely. A work in progress.

It seems he has done a lot of work with our left foot kicking coach Zaine Cordy!!
    Baz's left foot is a thing of constant frustration/ultimate beauty.

6. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His interview after the game was awesome. He's such a cool dude and then also such an honest, genuinely nice dude. I mean, stay away from my daughters... but he's like a mullet personified - business and party in equal measures.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has to replace Cody out of necessity.
    If we aren't worried about marking ability, ie high flying, then it is JJ.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

2016 PF: Clay Smith: 26 Disposals, 10 Contested, 6 Clearances, 4I50’s, 5 Marks, 8 Tackles, 4 Goals, 1 GA, 8 Score Involvements, 19 Pressure Acts, 284m Gained

2021 PF: Bailey Smith: 23 Disposals, 11 Contested, 3 Clearances, 6 I50’s 1 Mark, 3 Tackles, 4 Goals, 9 Score Involvements, 22 Pressure Acts, 496m Gained

We need Smith’s on fire to win Preliminary Final. That’s my take away.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes josie, ReLoad, SquirrelGrip, jazzadogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let’s trade him.

Post Thanks / Like

2016 PF: Clay Smith: 26 Disposals, 10 Contested, 6 Clearances, 4I50’s, 5 Marks, 8 Tackles, 4 Goals, 1 GA, 8 Score Involvements, 19 Pressure Acts, 284m Gained

2021 PF: Bailey Smith: 23 Disposals, 11 Contested, 3 Clearances, 6 I50’s 1 Mark, 3 Tackles, 4 Goals, 9 Score Involvements, 22 Pressure Acts, 496m Gained

We need Smith’s on fire to win Preliminary Final. That’s my take away.
    Can't believe Clay had 26 touches in that game. An undersold performance - I remember the 4 goals, but those are huge numbers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Let’s trade him.

I'd be gearing him up for leadership in a couple of years, would never consider trading him. Future captain of the club after Bont.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive finals series. Has kicked 8 goals (straight). Only Hawkins and Cameron have managed to match that.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever seen a fatigued player kick one from the boundary at 55m out like Smith did tonight?

16. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So as a question.....given Luke Hodge enjoyed an over-inflated reputation amongst his peers because of his performances in finals, does that now mean that Bailey Smith is the leader of his draft class?

One of his major rivals for that position also played tonight but didn't get near it. His other major rival didn't get to play in the finals. So I guess by the laws of Hawthorn and Hodge, Bailey is now the best from his class.......providing that moniker doesn't have to wait for two weeks when we win the flag.

NB - I don't think Smith is better than Walsh, but I kinda do.

18. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So as a question.....given Luke Hodge enjoyed an over-inflated reputation amongst his peers because of his performances in finals, does that now mean that Bailey Smith is the leader of his draft class?

One of his major rivals for that position also played tonight but didn't get near it. His other major rival didn't get to play in the finals. So I guess by the laws of Hawthorn and Hodge, Bailey is now the best from his class.......providing that moniker doesn't have to wait for two weeks when we win the flag.

NB - I don't think Smith is better than Walsh, but I kinda do.
    Are you saying Carlton should trade Sam Walsh?

20. Likes hujsh, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Are you saying Carlton should trade Sam Walsh?
    Snigger snigger you cheeky devil.

I'm just saying that if one player gets to form his reputation in finals, then others who follow should as well.