Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris Scott says AFL coaches need to learn from Western Bulldogs’ flicking-style handballs at contest

Link

GEELONG coach Chris Scott says AFL players are getting away with “flicking” the ball rather than conventionally handballing, due to an encouragement to move the ball quickly in the modern game.

The Bulldogs made a big impression with their rapid-fire handballs to clear the ball from congestion during their run to the 2016 premiership.

Scott said the definition of a handball looked to have changed in recent years, with the Dogs in particular known for their tendency to “flick” the ball around, and that other AFL coaches needed to adapt to deal with that.

“Even the way the rules have evolved, or not evolved in this situation, what constituted a handball five years ago is different to now,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I hope this doesn’t sound disparaging towards the Bulldogs ... it doesn’t really have anything to do with them except they’re really good exponents of it.

“But it’s just the lawmakers and the umpires are saying ‘we can’t tell if you’re throwing it or not, so we’re going to give you the benefit of the doubt, unless we’re sure you did throw it.’”

Scott said it was difficult to pick up on whether some handballs were actually throws, even on slow motion vision.

The Geelong coach said he felt teams were encouraged to move the ball on quickly, which facilitated those looking to flick the ball out of contests.

“It’s hard for the umpires ... we’ve slowed it down at times and even in slow motion you can’t tell,” he said.

“It’s not a criticism of the umpires either, but coaches shouldn’t try to influence the rules too much in my view, but we do have a responsibility to get with the program.

“So that’s one part of their game where I think teams are saying ‘yeah, you can flick it around and clear the congestion’ even if it’s sort of throwing it over your head or tunnel balling it.

“I think the lawmakers have implicitly encouraged teams to do it because we want the ball to clear the congestion or get it going — it doesn’t matter how it gets out, just get it out of there.”

Scott said coaches needed to learn from what the best teams did well, with the Bulldogs’ handball game one example of a clever, if small, point of difference.
    “I think you’re not being professional in your position if you don’t analyse what the good teams are doing,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I think it’s a little different when you have a team like say, Hawthorn, that were for a period clearly the best team in the comp.

“The Bulldogs deserved what they got but they did finish seventh, it wasn’t as if they had this competitive advantage that just blew everyone away.

“But that part of their game was relatively unique.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chris Scott says AFL coaches need to learn from Western Bulldogs’ flicking-style handballs at contest

I hate the Scott Brothers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes craigsahibee, bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chris Scott says AFL coaches need to learn from Western Bulldogs’ flicking-style handballs at contest

Despite Chris Scott going out of his way to say 'he hoped it didn't come across as sour grapes; I can't help but feel that they doth protest too much...and it is precisely sour grapes... especially in Geelong's case, given we've not beaten them during Chris Scott's reign

Post Thanks / Like

So in summary, what that filthy little germ said was "The Bulldogs cheated but the Umpires weren't quick enough to pick them up, so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not even sure what he is trying to say

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'm not even sure what he is trying to say
    Dogs cheated, and umpires let them. So since that's ok for them, we will do it too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The Scott brothers
    Ordinary humans

10. Thanks Greystache thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Dogs cheated, and umpires let them. So since that's ok for them, we will do it too.
    He said we cheated but even in slow motion it's not possible to tell if we cheated. But we did cheat. And it's not sour grapes. But he's being a sour grape. And it's not meant to be disparaging. But he's being disparaging.

Post Thanks / Like

Jealousy and tall poppy syndrome at it's worst. Can't say i'm at all surprised when it's coming from either one of the brothers. For some reason Chris thinks he has some sort of opinion that stands amongst premiership coaches. Even though he was merely an inanimate carbon rod in the premiership geelong won. Heck i could have sat in the chair and told the players to go play that year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Jealousy and tall poppy syndrome at it's worst. Can't say i'm at all surprised when it's coming from either one of the brothers. For some reason Chris thinks he has some sort of opinion that stands amongst premiership coaches. Even though he was merely an inanimate carbon rod in the premiership geelong won. Heck i could have sat in the chair and told the players to go play that year.
    In rod we trust!

14. Likes chef, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“But it’s just the lawmakers and the umpires are saying ‘we can’t tell if you’re throwing it or not, so we’re going to give you the benefit of the doubt, unless we’re sure you did throw it.’”
    Wouldn't this always have been the way the rule is meant to be umpired? Umpires should only pay a free kick if they clearly see an infringement, the last thing they should do is guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Wouldn't this always have been the way the rule is meant to be umpired? Umpires should only pay a free kick if they clearly see an infringement, the last thing they should do is guess.
    How dare you try to insert facts into a SBS (Scott Brother Sulk).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He's just following Clarko's lead & giving this more air time to ensure umpire scrutiny is at extreme levels during our games. He's scared of us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

18. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Link

GEELONG coach Chris Scott says AFL players are getting away with “flicking” the ball rather than conventionally handballing, due to an encouragement to move the ball quickly in the modern game.

The Bulldogs made a big impression with their rapid-fire handballs to clear the ball from congestion during their run to the 2016 premiership.

Scott said the definition of a handball looked to have changed in recent years, with the Dogs in particular known for their tendency to “flick” the ball around, and that other AFL coaches needed to adapt to deal with that.

“Even the way the rules have evolved, or not evolved in this situation, what constituted a handball five years ago is different to now,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I hope this doesn’t sound disparaging towards the Bulldogs ... it doesn’t really have anything to do with them except they’re really good exponents of it.

Scott said it was difficult to pick up on whether some handballs were actually throws, even on slow motion vision.

The Geelong coach said he felt teams were encouraged to move the ball on quickly, which facilitated those looking to flick the ball out of contests.

“It’s hard for the umpires ... we’ve slowed it down at times and even in slow motion you can’t tell,” he said.

“It’s not a criticism of the umpires either, but coaches shouldn’t try to influence the rules too much in my view, but we do have a responsibility to get with the program.

“So that’s one part of their game where I think teams are saying ‘yeah, you can flick it around and clear the congestion’ even if it’s sort of throwing it over your head or tunnel balling it.

“I think the lawmakers have implicitly encouraged teams to do it because we want the ball to clear the congestion or get it going — it doesn’t matter how it gets out, just get it out of there.”

Scott said coaches needed to learn from what the best teams did well, with the Bulldogs’ handball game one example of a clever, if small, point of difference.
    “I think you’re not being professional in your position if you don’t analyse what the good teams are doing,” Scott said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I think it’s a little different when you have a team like say, Hawthorn, that were for a period clearly the best team in the comp.

“The Bulldogs deserved what they got but they did finish seventh, it wasn’t as if they had this competitive advantage that just blew everyone away.

“But that part of their game was relatively unique.”
    Talk about Salty.
    Cry me a river Scotty boys you pair of Leigh Matthews flog cast offs!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    He said we cheated but even in slow motion it's not possible to tell if we cheated. But we did cheat. And it's not sour grapes. But he's being a sour grape. And it's not meant to be disparaging. But he's being disparaging.
    yes exactly, thats what i meant by not sure what he is trying to say