Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  49
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Rivalry of Nastiness developing between two afl teams

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/...two-afl-teams/

The “rivalry full of nastiness” developing between two AFL teams

A “rivalry full of nastiness” is developing between Grand Final combatants Melbourne and Western Bulldogs, according to Sportsday co-host Sam McClure.

The Dogs and Dees squared off in last month’s decider, which saw the Demons break a 57-year premiership drought in style to win by 74 points.

In the lead up, Dogs players were filmed singing and dancing to ‘Freed from Desire’ in the rooms after their preliminary final victory over Port Adelaide, with Luke Beveridge later conceding he was “disappointed” with club staffers who filmed and leaked what was meant to be a private celebration.

McClure, who was in Perth for the Grand Final, said there were senior figures at both clubs who were at odds with each other, saying he also later observed Melbourne players singing the same song on the Optus Stadium turf hours after winning the premiership.

“I don’t think there’s too much love lost between (these) two clubs, both the administrators and players,” he said on Sportsday.

“This is a rivalry full of nastiness and there’s a few things that stem from it. There are senior players from both sides that don’t particularly get along.

“The fact that Melbourne sang the same Bulldogs song they sang in the rooms (after their preliminary final win over Port Adelaide) that leaked on social media, it got back to the Dogs and it didn’t go down too well.

“A couple of hours after the game, everyone had left and one of the great Grand Final moments is when the team walks back onto the ground with the cup, they have a few beers and sing the song a couple of times.

“The only people left in the ground were media and suddenly you hear ‘Freed from Desire’ and realise that was the song the Bulldogs were singing a couple of weeks ago, that got back to the Dogs and I don’t think they were happy about it.

“For me, one team lost and one team won and we move on and get over it, but I think this will be a rivalry (moving forward) that isn’t necessarily like Hawthorn and Geelong with the Kennett curse, but it’ll be in the same suburb.”
    Last edited by GVGjr; 16-10-2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Image added

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Rivalry of Nastiness developing between two afl teams

Good.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hated them before the GF … hate them after the GF. Nothing’s changed. I can’t see them having the sustained success they are chirping about with the holier than thou attitude they have right now.
    WOOF Member 422

5. Likes Twodogs, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Good.
    They are entitled gits - smart arses.

Hopefully they have to wait another 57 years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole story is his own thoughts and his own words "Rivalry of Nastiness" as the title.

"The only people left in the ground were media and suddenly you hear ‘Freed from Desire’ and realise that was the song the Bulldogs were singing a couple of weeks ago, that got back to the Dogs and I don’t think they were happy about it"
    So he or one of the other media people heard that, leaked that to the Dogs to try and upset them (it's hours after a GF loss, of course you won't be happy) and now turning their own leak into a story.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd definitely dislikes Melbourne and its playing group and wouldn't be surprised if he is a good representative of the playing groups feelings.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    The whole story is his own thoughts and his own words "Rivalry of Nastiness" as the title.

So he or one of the other media people heard that, leaked that to the Dogs to try and upset them (it's hours after a GF loss, of course you won't be happy) and now turning their own leak into a story.
    Yeah, the Melbourne playing group or hangers on released the footage of it happening. They can celebrate how they want, but they're douchebags because of it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Part of me says - you reap what you sow. Those prelim celebrations to me were a little premature. It felt like that was our achievement, it came a week early because guess what... We missed the top 4.

The Demons boys, well they have to own the fact they mocked us and it really does spice up the rivalry which can't be a bad thing right?

I once went out to their training to get a card signed for my mad Demons mate, they were all very accommodating and friendly blokes.

Except Tomas Bugg. He was a flog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Part of me says - you reap what you sow. Those prelim celebrations to me were a little premature.
    As I understand, we celebrate like that after some big games, so nothing unusual - but it is normally kept in house.

Getting into a grand final is a big deal, and should be celebrated - we have only been in 4 in the VFL/AFL era.

As for Melbourne, great celebrate, but don't mock your opposition like they blatantly did. It is like school boy stuff - nah nah nah nah nah - pathetic morons.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As I understand, we celebrate like that after some big games, so nothing unusual - but it is normally kept in house.

Getting into a grand final is a big deal, and should be celebrated - we have only been in 4 in the VFL/AFL era.

As for Melbourne, great celebrate, but don't mock your opposition like they blatantly did. It is like school boy stuff - nah nah nah nah nah - pathetic morons.
    Probably right. The leak is more the issue isn't it.

There was something about it when I first saw it that worried me. Intangible thing, probably nothing.

Guess that's why Bevo wasn't happy it got out.

Post Thanks / Like

They won so they can do what ever they want. There's no getting them back or revenge as they have the cup.

Hope we don't get petty and make a big deal of this. Sounds like the two clubs are pushing for a round 1 rematch.
    The curse is dead.

16. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    They won so they can do what ever they want. There's no getting them back or revenge as they have the cup.

Hope we don't get petty and make a big deal of this. Sounds like the two clubs are pushing for a round 1 rematch.
    Melbourne is pushing for a round 1 rematch.

We are supposed to have Pies locked in every year for round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Put Luke Jackson on his arse when he gets consecutive centre clearances if you want to get angry, no point now
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

19. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Melbourne is pushing for a round 1 rematch.

We are supposed to have Pies locked in every year for round 1.
    Yep. Let this tradition grow between us and Collingwood. And next year it’s an easy kill to kick off.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Part of me says - you reap what you sow. Those prelim celebrations to me were a little premature. It felt like that was our achievement, it came a week early because guess what... We missed the top 4.

The Demons boys, well they have to own the fact they mocked us and it really does spice up the rivalry which can't be a bad thing right?

I once went out to their training to get a card signed for my mad Demons mate, they were all very accommodating and friendly blokes.

Except Tomas Bugg. He was a flog.
    https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...53986/page-118

Scroll about halfway down the page, there is a FB screenshot of a post that Dermott Brereton commented on that should get you in the “I hate Mebourne” mood.

22. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post