Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache to attack 2019

Link

A bigger, stronger Josh Schache is determined to put his best foot forward this season as he looks to establish himself at AFL level.

The 21-year-old has played 40 games in his three AFL seasons to date.

He showed plenty of promise in his first season in red, white and blue in 2018, playing the last 13 games and booting 17 goals.

With a full pre-season behind him, the key forward has seen plenty of development.
    “I think my body’s in the best shape it’s been,” Schache told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“In the off-season I went away with the goal to put on a bit more weight, and I’ve put on around four kilos now.

“That was the goal… just to put on a bit more size to play that position that I’m playing at the moment down forward a bit better, and be a little bit stronger in the contest.

“I feel like I’ve got fitter as the pre-season’s gone on, so in patches it’s been okay but there’s still things I’d like to tidy up in my game.”

Schache acknowledged he entered his second pre-season as a Bulldog with “a bit more expectation”.

His first year at VU Whitten Oval was all about learning, and gaining respect – but they’re both areas he’s determined to keep growing.

“I’m really enjoying it at the moment and looking forward to the year ahead,” Schache said.

“I don’t try to look too far into the future. I set little goals here and there, each week and each training session, to try to get little things out of each sessions which will eventually lead to that bigger picture.”

A big part of that has been leaning on assistant coach Ash Hansen, who Schache said had been instrumental in improving his forward craft.

“I’ve been working closely with Ash, he’s been really good for me since I got to the club around positioning and remaining relevant to where the ball is and where the play is,” he said.

“It can be a pretty tricky to place to play, down forward, especially if it’s not going your way.

“Things like playing on different defenders – if they like to play back shoulder or in front of you, how to get around those different defended and try to play to your strengths.

“I’ve learned a lot from being here already, and I’m still learning heaps at the moment which is good.”

As for the plan in 2019, Schache’s ambition is to become a consistent player for the Bulldogs at AFL level.

“It’s obviously still something I’m trying to develop and trying to get there, to be that player,” he said.

“I’m trying to improve, setting little goals each week to try to make myself the best player I can be, and asking the coaches what I can do to try to be that best player.

“There’s no set spot there, so obviously I’ve got to do my best to get into the team and if I do get there to hold that spot.

“There’s a lot of competition which is good, and good for every player here - you’re never really set, which is good, it always makes you strive to be a better player.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, strebla, Mofra, Eastdog, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, WBFC4FFC, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Schache to attack 2019

Thanks for posting. Pulling for him.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a decent first season particularly in the latter part of 2018. Good signs with his marking ability and goal sense. Needs to aim for that consistency now as the article states. Good acquisition in the end from what I have seen of him.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see his competitiveness improve the most. By that I mean when the ball is in dispute on the ground. For a bloke who is 200cm he is pushed aside way way to easily. His natural development of basic football skills will take care of itself, it's his body positioning and competitiveness is the area's he needs to work at the most. So hopefully with these extra 4 kegs he can use his big body better and stay in the contest for longer which will round out his game nicely. We need to get the ball in this blokes hands inside 50 as much as possible because he's a beautiful kick and will score goals
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the scrutiny that's been placed on this kid just because he had one ordinary season in the AFL as a second year player, and has been perceived as a bit timid (as if Tom Hawkins wasn't as hard as a poo sandwich for his first few years).

The story around this bloke should be one of unbridled excitement, even if his ceiling might only turn out to be a 30-40 goal a year running and marking tall forward who can help in the ruck...…….essentially being possibly the most valuable player a team could hope for.

Our media and fan expectations are ridiculous when it comes to developing tall forwards. The kid is 21 and has played three seasons and 40 games (only because he was too good not to play), I'm sick of this long awaited bullshit narrative.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes azabob, Mofra, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The story around this bloke should be one of unbridled excitement, even if his ceiling might only turn out to be a 30-40 goal a year running and marking tall forward who can help in the ruck...…….essentially being possibly the most valuable player a team could hope for.
    Let's take the midpoint of a 30-40 goal season, 35 goals.

He wins our goalkicking award the last two years, is third the previous two years to that, and very close the two years before that (37 to Crameri in 2014, 36 to Gia in 2013). Gia won it with 28 in 2012. I'd take that in a heartbeat, especially for a guy who isn't parked in the goalsquare.

I've spent many years watching the Bulldogs, getting annoyed that we had no targets around the HF area more often than not (2017 how many times did we kick to Caleb Daniel under pressure as the only guy presenting?). I loved Mitch Hahn but I could walk faster than he ran and he was our only HF hope for years, getting zero separation on any defender who took him.

We now have a pick two (that cost us nowhere near that) that in many of his games was in the top 2-3 players on the ground for kms covered in a game last year, he's now at 100kgs after a couple of pre-seasons, is only 21 years old and people aren't happy?

I must be missing something.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Let's take the midpoint of a 30-40 goal season, 35 goals.

He wins our goalkicking award the last two years, is third the previous two years to that, and very close the two years before that (37 to Crameri in 2014, 36 to Gia in 2013). Gia won it with 28 in 2012. I'd take that in a heartbeat, especially for a guy who isn't parked in the goalsquare.

I've spent many years watching the Bulldogs, getting annoyed that we had no targets around the HF area more often than not (2017 how many times did we kick to Caleb Daniel under pressure as the only guy presenting?). I loved Mitch Hahn but I could walk faster than he ran and he was our only HF hope for years, getting zero separation on any defender who took him.

We now have a pick two (that cost us nowhere near that) that in many of his games was in the top 2-3 players on the ground for kms covered in a game last year, he's now at 100kgs after a couple of pre-seasons, is only 21 years old and people aren't happy?

I must be missing something.
    We started a thread a while back on which players we would be genuinely excited on seeing how they played in 2019 and there were a few of us who rated Schache as the one to watch. We will eventually win over a lot more supporters
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Mofra, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like him - and it's great to hear he's putting on the weight so he can 'be a little bit stronger in the contest'.....as I think that's been the main criticism to date, and not without foundation.

If he can continue to work over opponents and provide a lead up option and take the F50 opportunities that come his way (he's been a very good kick for goal so far) he will prove to be a very good recruit.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I can't believe the scrutiny that's been placed on this kid just because he had one ordinary season in the AFL as a second year player, and has been perceived as a bit timid (as if Tom Hawkins wasn't as hard as a poo sandwich for his first few years).

Our media and fan expectations are ridiculous when it comes to developing tall forwards. The kid is 21 and has played three seasons and 40 games (only because he was too good not to play), I'm sick of this long awaited bullshit narrative.
    Who's scrutinizing? Everyone I talk to speaks highly of him. He is the forward we will be building our future around.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks mighty around the shoulders this season. I really like his kicking action. Runs up nicely, kicks straight with that left foot.
    Not a great leap but good hands and very mobile. Like his celebrations after a goal, very likable player and so young. Super excited about him this season. Some great highlights on YT. I love getting good players cheaply.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Not selected for JLT 1.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not selected for JLT 1.
    yeah strange
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    yeah strange
    That does seem weird at face value. He's seemingly had a good pre-season and is definitely a player we should be investing match practice in. I wonder if he's got a little niggle or we're just holding him back because he's had a solid training load in the new year? Hopefully the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    That does seem weird at face value. He's seemingly had a good pre-season and is definitely a player we should be investing match practice in. I wonder if he's got a little niggle or we're just holding him back because he's had a solid training load in the new year? Hopefully the latter.
    I’m wondering if Bevo is going to trial a couple of different line ups over the two rounds and firm up a view on round 1. Be interesting to see who rotates if so

Post Thanks / Like

We normally rotate a fair bit but that was usually when there were 3 games. The guys on the extended bench not playing tomorrow will almost certainly play the next week if fit