Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marquee Bulldog Katie Brennan named Captain

Have slept on it.

Not happy at all with Katie for 1. Leaving, 2. Being dishonest.

I think I could handle her leaving and saying "they are offering more + sponsorship opportunities and I need to make the most of it in a semi professional environ." Tne fresh start thing is disingenuous PR spin that leaves too much to the imagination and invariably opens the Club up to criticism. All of a sudden, the narrative is our program doesn't look after its players well enough etc.

She's done some damage on the way out. When we stood up for her in the face of a bullshit suspension and subsequent sexist backlash. Went to some lengths to support her even though the footy world blasted us. That needed to count for something. We've boosted her profile and personal brand far beyond what she could have ever anticipated. Fresh start feels disrespectful to me.

Anyway, free to do as she wants. No goodwill from me though. No longer a Bulldog.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL seem determined to allow AFLW to wither and die in its infancy.

The 10 teams they currently have are a stretch on the talent pool. To throw FOUR more teams into the mire is dead-set lunacy.

Then throw in the short-sighted nature of trading, recruiting and retention of players, the absurd fixturing (Why would you have a grand final almost directly competing with AFL matches?) and you have a convoluted approach which smacks of the AFL wanting to look like they're doing something productive rather than actually setting the competition up for long term success.

They went too hard, too early by setting up an 8 team competition when they did, when they should have spent another 2 or three years pouring copious amounts of money into state level women's leagues, talent development and recruitment from other codes, before launching a much stronger product.

And with every decision they make they seem to further undermine the legitimacy and long-term viability of the women's league.

It makes it difficult to get emotionally invested in a league when you don't know if it will still be around in five years time.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read. Hard to know if intelligent guess work / click bait or accidentally leaked on purpose.

https://t.co/nvoVVIhUt8

“When Katie Brennan said she wanted to move for a fresh start, there were a few eyebrows raised down at the kennel as to what that could mean,” McClure told SEN Breakfast.

“The Bulldogs are not happy. They’re not happy at all. I think that there’s some elements of anger.

“She’s played 13 games there, she missed a lot of footy because of injury and she missed significant footy because of suspension.

“No one at the Bulldogs will publicly say this, but they believe that they were owed some loyalty.”

McClure has clarified that as far as the salary cap goes, Brennan isn’t earning any extra money from the Tigers.

“So she’s signed a two-year deal at the Tigers, she will get the same money as a playing contract, being a marquee contract, wherever she went,” he said.

4. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Just don't say anything on Social media, you'll probably get called a sexist.

That sort of stuff doesn't bother me so much because I'm not sexist or a misogynist in any form and the opinion of a bunch of people who don't know me isn't going to change my mind (its hard enough for people who know me and who I respect to change my mind).

And besides isn't it the very antithisis of sexism that we treat everyone the same? If we refuse to utter the name of He Who Went to GWS then why should we give Katie Brennan a big slap on the back for walking out on our club and going to Richmond? Going easier on her because she is female is the very essence of sexism surely?

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is booing a thing in AFLW yet? Honest question.
    If it wasn't before it is now.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

6. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That sort of stuff doesn't bother me so much because I'm not sexist or a misogynist in any form and the opinion of a bunch of people who don't know me isn't going to change my mind (its hard enough for people who know me and who I respect to change my mind).

And besides isn't it the very antithisis of sexism that we treat everyone the same? If we refuse to utter the name of He Who Went to GWS then why should we give Katie Brennan a big slap on the back for walking out on our club and going to Richmond? Going easier on her because she is female is the very essence of sexism surely?

If it wasn't before it is now.
    Don't I know it...

Katie has done herself a massive disservice here. She was supported through injury, supported through suspension and supported when she decided to (Quite rightly) take on the league when she was treated differently than a male player would be.

And despite all that she needs a 'fresh start'.

We've got a fine Captain and leader in Ellie Blackburn ready to fill the void. Katie, you're on your own. Don't expect a warm welcome when you return to the kennel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Don't I know it...

Katie has done herself a massive disservice here. She was supported through injury, supported through suspension and supported when she decided to (Quite rightly) take on the league when she was treated differently than a male player would be.

And despite all that she needs a 'fresh start'.

We've got a fine Captain and leader in Ellie Blackburn ready to fill the void. Katie, you're on your own. Don't expect a warm welcome when you return to the kennel.
    Heh! Pretentious, Moi?

BTW there was an argument we were having in 2004 and I've just thought of a counterpoint to something you said back then...

Post Thanks / Like

Heh! Pretentious, Moi?

BTW there was an argument we were having in 2004 and I've just thought of a counterpoint to something you said back then...
    I hate it when that happens.

What was the argument, out of curiosity? We've been through four coaches since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I hate it when that happens.

What was the argument, out of curiosity
    ? We've been through four coaches since then.

Umpiring.

Post Thanks / Like

All further discussion of Katie Brennan should be conducted in the Following Our Exes thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    All further discussion of Katie Brennan should be conducted in the Following Our Exes thread...
    Indeed it should.

Post Thanks / Like

Salary cap is a joke as you can pay them what you want through a job , their is no cap on offering them a job and paying them 100,000 on a 20,000 job.
    I’m backing she got a lot more through another job , like being the face for Swisse.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Heh! Pretentious, Moi?

A Fawlty Towers fan TD?

Post Thanks / Like

Reported on the Bulldogs website that we have re-signed 9 players for 2020, which includes Blackburn, Scott & Huntington for the next 2 years... Hopefully KB gets in between Scott and the ball next year.

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Reported on the Bulldogs website that we have re-signed 9 players for 2020, which includes Blackburn, Scott & Huntington for the next 2 years... Hopefully KB gets in between Scott and the ball next year.
    Good News

Western Bulldogs re-signings at April 10, 2019:
    Ellie Blackburn (Two Years)
    Eleanor Brown (One Year)
    Naomi Ferres (Two Years)
    Isabel Huntington (Two Years)
    Kirsty Lamb (Two Years)
    Kirsten McLeod (One Year)
    Hannah Scott (Two Years)
    Lauren Spark (Two Years)
    Bonnie Toogood (One Year)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Aisling McCarthy resigned if she is allowed or wants to do another season.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

19. Likes Raw Toast, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post