5 29.41%
  • Average

11 64.71%
  • Below Average

1 5.88%
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2021: Jason Johannisen 39

Hi All,

During the off season I thought I would start our list rating again. I won't included the new recruits as there is nothing to go on and I'll leave out desisted and retired players as there is no point.

Like last time I'll count down from the highest number to the lowest but I thought the poll rating this time will go on a different tack and get Woofers thoughts on how they rank from Elite to Below Average.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2021: Jason Johannisen 39

After playing just 27 games in his first three seasons, he flourished under coach Luke Beveridge, averaging 20 disposals from 20 games in 2016. Johannisen's game breaking ability was on full display on Grand Final day, as he amassed 33 disposals on his way to winning the Norm Smith Medal. The 28-year-old played 17 matches in 2020, averaging 16 disposals and four marks while providing his customary dash and dare off the half-back flank. Johannisen is contracted until the end of the 2022 season.

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After cementing a role as an attacking back flanker you would rate Jason as nearly elite but since his transition to the forward line and it may just being a case of finding his feet but going on 2021 I would rate him below average and needs to get more involve and use his running capacity to more effect.
    I would go as far to say him hasn't shined since teams put a lot of work into him those few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I still rate JJ as above average as he is a talented player.

Playing as a HFF he contributed to the team overall with 15 goals and 15 goal assists (4th in WB )

I think he needs to kick more goals if he is going to play the small forward role. He has had to adapt from being an attacking HBF to a HFF, but also needs to improve on his forward pressure and tackling. His playing experience will be vital in 2022 to a young forward line.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt that his career has been above average, at times elite - Norm Smith, 2nd in 2017 B&F, 167 games as a rookie.

But in 2022, and in his forward flank role, I think he is average. Certainly improved as the year went on and he learned the new role, but long way to go to be an above average small forward/flanker.

Post Thanks / Like

He's coming off an average season but he's more than capable of doing a bit better than that.
    I wonder where he sits in the planning side of things for us? Is he goal to be a goal kicking forward for us or will he play a more defensive role up forward for us.

He's still got a bit he can improve on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's coming off an average season but he's more than capable of doing a bit better than that.
    I wonder where he sits in the planning side of things for us? Is he goal to be a goal kicking forward for us or will he play a more defensive role up forward for us.

He's still got a bit he can improve on.
    I think his last month was as good as we have seen him as a forward. Should give us some optimism on his future in that role. If he could bottle the way he finished it’s exactly what we want from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I think his last month was as good as we have seen him as a forward. Should give us some optimism on his future in that role. If he could bottle the way he finished it’s exactly what we want from him.
    Couldn't agree more DT, lets hope he recaptures that form for us in 2022.

10. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm rating players on their last season played with us, not their entire history, so for me he cops an average.
    I don't see where he fits in with us long term, I'd like to think players like Flea, Scott, McNeil, VDM and now Arthur Jones push him out of the forward 50 arc, with players like Williams, Doc, Daniels, Richards keeping him out of the back 50 arc.
    I don't see where he plays for us anymore, and at times (specially some games in 2020 and 2019) his been a complete and utter liability with his lack of pressure and tackling, and turn overs.

His contract is up at the end of this years season, would I be upset if we lost him if it means keeping everybody else? Nope. He'd have to have one of the best seasons possible this year for me to change my mind, but even then, I just don't see what his position is anymore.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I'm rating players on their last season played with us, not their entire history, so for me he cops an average.
    I don't see where he fits in with us long term, I'd like to think players like Flea, Scott, McNeil, VDM and now Arthur Jones push him out of the forward 50 arc, with players like Williams, Doc, Daniels, Richards keeping him out of the back 50 arc.
    I don't see where he plays for us anymore, and at times (specially some games in 2020 and 2019) his been a complete and utter liability with his lack of pressure and tackling, and turn overs.

His contract is up at the end of this years season, would I be upset if we lost him if it means keeping everybody else? Nope. He'd have to have one of the best seasons possible this year for me to change my mind, but even then, I just don't see what his position is anymore.
    Surely he would be of more worth to us at the moment than McNeil, Scott and VDM, it is great that we as supporters hold our youngun's in high esteem, but seriously have a hard realistic look at the three mentioned boys this season, they have a long way to go, so in saying that i would love to have JJ regain his good form and be a huge contributor to our next 3 flags, that should see him out.

13. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    Surely he would be of more worth to us at the moment than McNeil, Scott and VDM, it is great that we as supporters hold our youngun's in high esteem, but seriously have a hard realistic look at the three mentioned boys this season, they have a long way to go, so in saying that i would love to have JJ regain his good form and be a huge contributor to our next 3 flags, that should see him out.
    I agree with the sentiment of this. The trick is to bring the guys you mentioned along and continue to develop them.
    If they're performing better than JJ then they should play ahead of him but JJ still has some good football ahead of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Regressed to average.

Was elite with a particular set of players around him and a specific role. In recent years those players have left, his role has changed and some leadership expectations has started to fall more on him.

Have been impressed with his endeavour to turn things around at times, and while I've seen a few question his bravery, I don't think that is a concern at all. He's shown plenty of willingness to go when it is his turn.

Best outcome, he recaptures his best form and plays an important role as a senior player in the team. Hard running, long kicking, line breaking stuff.

Worst outcome, we get more of the same from recent seasons. We don't need that.

My harshest view is that JJ hasn't been the same since Bugg and that other Melbourne bloke targeted him and then the whole AFL went after him for weeks and no-one dealt with it definitively. Umpires let it go. He never belted anyone. We never retaliated. Ruined him. Not fair, but its a thought that hasn't gone away.

16. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Regressed to average.

Was elite with a particular set of players around him and a specific role. In recent years those players have left, his role has changed and some leadership expectations has started to fall more on him.

Have been impressed with his endeavour to turn things around at times, and while I've seen a few question his bravery, I don't think that is a concern at all. He's shown plenty of willingness to go when it is his turn.

Best outcome, he recaptures his best form and plays an important role as a senior player in the team. Hard running, long kicking, line breaking stuff.

Worst outcome, we get more of the same from recent seasons. We don't need that.

My harshest view is that JJ hasn't been the same since Bugg and that other Melbourne bloke targeted him and then the whole AFL went after him for weeks and no-one dealt with it definitively. Umpires let it go. He never belted anyone. We never retaliated. Ruined him. Not fair, but its a thought that hasn't gone away.
    I don't disagree with any of that.

I think it highlights the gap between good players and great players. Good players might have a standout year or two, but on the whole are probably more 'pluckish'. Great players are the ones who have the standout year and then maintain that as the standard. It's a challenge a few others will face (i.e. Dale) and why Libba/Macrae/Hunter etc. are so good.

I thought JJ's finals series was very good. He had some big moments, especially in that Brisbane game, and he was very good v Port Adelaide. In the GF most of our forwards didn't see the ball for the last quarter and a half, but he did take a big mark and goal in the third.

He still has a role to play and we know Bevo loves versatility, so there's no reason why we can't shift him to HBF if needed for whatever reason. JJ will need to be more consistent though, as I would expect competition for spots to heat up again this year.
    W00F!

18. Likes GVGjr, azabob, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooof JJ. I still gave him an average but he need a big year, He had some good games up forward and some shockers last season and losing his contract is looking tempting.