Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Howard set to be delisted

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1225935821726
    SENIOR football writer Andrew Capel was hailed by the SANFL with one of its highest media honours last night as The Advertiser and localfootysa.com.au won major awards.

Capel's 30 years in football journalism - stretching from Messenger Newspapers, the Sunday Mail and The Advertiser - was recognised by SANFL president Rod Payze with the league's "Outstanding Achievement Award".

Capel also claimed the best print story award for his accurate assessment of Glenelg defender Christian Howard's rise to the AFL as a first-round draft pick to the Western Bulldogs last November.
    Sounds like he was being rewarded for services to his State by running a clever provocateur disinformation campaign.

The Howard recruitment will go down in the annals of the AFL as being second only to the Tambling debacle.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I judge the recruiting staff harshly for this one because no one knew who the hell Christian Howard was when we called his name out.
    We could have probably taken him with a rookie pick.

The players we ignored to select an absolute unknown gamble included...........
    (and I know we've been over this before but I just want it to really sink in).

We could have on our list RIGHT NOW instead of Christian...... any of the following names.
    Without Trading them in or offering 5 year multi million dollar deals etc etc.

NAT FYFE
    JAKE CARLISLE
    SAM REID
    JACK GUNSTON

And a whole bunch of good solid next tier players.

The decision was a destiny changing moment in my opinion. And has set us back years.
    Pick 15 should never be thrown away on a mid paced mid sized unknown flanker.
    I know the recruiting staff has made some great decisions over the last few years but this one still stings.
    Add Michael Barlow and Stewart Crameri who were rookied that draft. Geelong's Menzel was taken soon after Howard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by throughandthrough View Post
    we've been through this before. The dogs were planning/expecting to get howard at a later pick, but somehow it leaked out the day of the draft that we were all over howie, and there was a big story in the adelaide advertiser that day written by andrew capel spilling the story. This forced our hand and the decision was made that we still wanted him so we used an earlier pick. sometime after the draft richmond admitted that if we didn't take howard then they would have.
    ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

Sounds like he was being rewarded for services to his State by running a clever provocateur disinformation campaign.

The Howard recruitment will go down in the annals of the AFL as being second only to the Tambling debacle.
    as allah is my witness

Iraqi-Information-Minister.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

You can add , frost , rampe and podsiadly. Frost would have been an ideal replacement for Dale. why are we afraid of Richmond drafting a player we want to get for a 3rd rounder. Would happily swap a grant for riewildt. I can't believe we missed the Reid brothers given their pedigree .

Post Thanks / Like

If trading is the work of the devil, then retrospective drafting is the work of Little Nicky.

Surely no one blames Howard for where he was drafted?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    You can add , frost , rampe and podsiadly. Frost would have been an ideal replacement for Dale. why are we afraid of Richmond drafting a player we want to get for a 3rd rounder. Would happily swap a grant for riewildt. I can't believe we missed the Reid brothers given their pedigree .
    Rampe by his own admission wasn't ready for AFL footy while at Willy.
    I agree with Frost ( remember him playing well against port in a final)
    Sam Reid ( we cocked up there ) but Ben went top 10 in about 06

Post Thanks / Like

Fyfe and Reid instead of Howard and Tutt. Would be handy right now.

Christian Howard reminds me of my Tigers mate when talking about Todd Menegola, an old Richmond relic from the mid 90's - beautiful kick, just can't find the ball and can't play. Alas, Howard wasn't even a good kick.

Post Thanks / Like

No it wont, it's not even close. There'd be at least a 100 worse draft pick ups than that. Melbourne alone has made dozens in the last decade
    Last edited by chef; 16-09-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Because it clearly wasn't as bad as the Lucas Cook pick (pick 10 who was delisted two seasons later), or the McDougall pick, or the Mitch Thorp pick etc.

It looks terrible when you say "we could have selected Fyfe, or Carlisle etc" but Howard was just one of many disappointing selections in that draft from every club.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

That Howard article available anywhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    That Howard article available anywhere?
    Bolter from the Bays

According to this we were just 1 of 7 clubs that spoke to him pre-draft. Seems there was plenty of interest in him, unfortunately we jumped before the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    No it wont, it's not even close. There'd be at least a 100 worse draft pick ups than that. Melbourne alone has made dozens in the last decade
    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Because it clearly wasn't as bad as the Lucas Cook pick (pick 10 who was delisted two seasons later), or the McDougall pick, or the Mitch Thorp pick etc.
    Hmmm, I think I better strategically concede the point. Ok, you guys are correct. The Dees record is spectacularly woeful over quite a number of years. I went and reviewed their choices on Footywire and kept cracking up over and over as I flipped through the years.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to stop my negativity. Yes he's crap, but we selected him. If he read this thread he'd be shocked that there seems no ceasation to the angst. The point is when you make mistakes in life to not do make them again, so far so good.

Thanks for trying Christian and good luck for your career in SANFL or local footy. Hope your best on this Sunday.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the whole point of this thread is to criticise the selection panel. Not the player.
    If we can't criticise the decision we'll just walk on eggshells forever.