Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  49
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Rnd 10, vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Your point being? We don't have a power forward similar to Hawkins, at the moment. However we do have one in the making, as you have stated, that being Naughton (may play a different style but will be our 'power' forward nonetheless). We just need to be patient for him to develop and be more consistent (to be honest i think he has been reasonably consistent. We are currently very reliant on Naughton in the forward line.

What we do need is a few more decent lieutenants that complement Naughton. We are relying on Gowers to be our 2nd tall option at the moment. Gowers in reality should be a 3rd or 4th option. Hence we need to see Schache continue to develop and be that option moving forward.

I don't believe, as you stated earlier, that Fletcher Roberts is the answer.
    I agree with a lot you say, like
    .......We are currently very reliant on Naughton in the forward line.

But for:
    ......We don't have an established power forward

my response is simply
    ..... we always should have, because all teams should have, and that responsibility goes beyond the players .

Also, I did not state that Roberts is the answer because I do not believe that is the case. But by being much taller than the rest of the forward line it might help get the score up a bit, and any improvement is welcome. At the moment inside 50s become outside 50s if the ball goes in above 195 cm.

Or, I would also be happy to have Cordy spend time there while we wait for our development options to arrive.

2. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Given most on here are suggesting the likes of Young & Wood also depart it probably suggests the defensive group are struggling.

Out of interest how many 1 on 1 contests were Roberts & Hawkins in on Saturday? How many were won by Tom? Understand where both are at as footballers, but given Fletch is into his 8th year on the list it's highly unlikely he will ever be able to play the role you would hope a 6'5" defender can.
    who has beaten Hawkins over the last 5 years? He is a genuine match winner.

but in response to the question, Hawkins had only 10 possessions and barely had to move because Geelong delivers so well.

That was his second worst possessions count in his last 30 games. The more I think about it the better Roberts did.

4. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Hipwood might have had 4 marks but he also had 2.5 as a key forward in the wet. Hawkins is not so great that keeping him to only 4 goals is an amazing achievement to cheer about. If he looked competent last night but give up 4 goals you might have a case but he clearly did not.
    picasso’s work doesn’t look competent - it is history that counts. Roberts has given up 6 goals in 2 games. when Crozier gave up 5 in one game it didn’t generate a response here.

300 goals in 5 and a half seasons means Hawkins is great.

6. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Hawkins is great but that doesn't mean Roberts is excused. He still failed to show any ability to top Hawkins or even significantly impact his game. It wasn't through lack of effort, it was just because as i said he is not physically big enough to play on those key talls, and considering he no longer shows any ability to intercept mark or be effective at ground level if he can't play a lockdown role effectively on the only guys as slow as he is then he shouldn't be in the side.

How many contests did we see where Roberts had a direct hand at influencing them in our favour? Very few.

I like him and I love what he was achieved with us but Roberts shouldn't be in our side and that's why i said to drop him, and I hope he doesn't get another contract because he doesn't make us better.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah Hawkins is great but that doesn't mean Roberts is excused. He still failed to show any ability to top Hawkins or even significantly impact his game. It wasn't through lack of effort, it was just because as i said he is not physically big enough to play on those key talls, and considering he no longer shows any ability to intercept mark or be effective at ground level if he can't play a lockdown role effectively on the only guys as slow as he is then he shouldn't be in the side.

How many contests did we see where Roberts had a direct hand at influencing them in our favour? Very few.

I like him and I love what he was achieved with us but Roberts shouldn't be in our side and that's why i said to drop him, and I hope he doesn't get another contract because he doesn't make us better.
    Cordy (who I like) played on a first gamer who kicked 3 goals. And Geelong got others against his ruck work. No comment here about it.

Roberts wasn’t there to put things in our favour. He was there to negate the best forward of the last 5 seasons who was playing in the best team in the competition at the moment. And he did a good job keeping him to 10 possessions.

His previous game was against the third best team in the competition and he gave up 2 goals.

A total of 6 goals against two of the top three teams is putting things in our favour.

But that was totally negated by the way our forwards rediscovered their talent for missing easy goals, and our handball turnovers in the middle (gave Geelong their first three goals in less than 10 minutes).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Cordy (who I like) played on a first gamer who kicked 3 goals. And Geelong got others against his ruck work. No comment here about it.

Roberts wasn’t there to put things in our favour. He was there to negate the best forward of the last 5 seasons who was playing in the best team in the competition at the moment. And he did a good job keeping him to 10 possessions.

His previous game was against the third best team in the competition and he gave up 2 goals.

A total of 6 goals against two of the top three teams is putting things in our favour.

But that was totally negated by the way our forwards rediscovered their talent for missing easy goals, and our handball turnovers in the middle (gave Geelong their first three goals in less than 10 minutes).
    Looked up Fort's goals and the only one I found he was standing next to Roberts and Wood when to took his mark. Seemed to be against Roberts. Not sure about the other 2

Post Thanks / Like

Looked up Fort's goals and the only one I found he was standing next to Roberts and Wood when to took his mark. Seemed to be against Roberts. Not sure about the other 2
    Hawkins 4. Fort 3. Rohan 3. Duncan 3. ......Dogs best was 2 goals

AFL stats gave Fort as Geelong’s 5th best. Hawkins 14th. Shows Roberts did good job.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL stats gave Fort as Geelong’s 5th best. Hawkins 14th. Shows Roberts did good job.
    Those stats do not say to me Roberts did well. Roberts was soundly beaten. Whether that be on the stats sheet or, more importantly, actually watching and judging his game.

Post Thanks / Like

How many 1 on 1’s did Fletcher win?

To my eye Geelong rarely used Hawkins as they didn’t need to, but when they did he won the ball.

14. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How many 1 on 1’s did Fletcher win?

To my eye Geelong rarely used Hawkins as they didn’t need to, but when they did he won the ball.
    I agree. Also Forts second goal was the centered kick where he was on Hunter.

And besides my suggested changes are for this week. Even if Cordy and Roberts played equally well/bad last game I still think Cordy offers significantly more than Roberts in practically every area.

My assessment of Roberts is a bit like Hayes. I don't think he lacks effort, and (prior to Hayes' last week) their form hasn't been terrible, but i fail to see what they add to the side or indeed the squad that others cannot match or surpass.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Those stats do not say to me Roberts did well. Roberts was soundly beaten. Whether that be on the stats sheet or, more importantly, actually watching and judging his game.
    Let’s turn it around.

What would Roberts have to do to have an acceptable game on Hawkins (has kicked over 500 goals and is likely to be Geelong’s best ever full forward)?

What would Cordy have to do? I’m sure he’s getting less of the ball this year, only had 6 touches against Bottom team.

What would Gowers have to do? I’m sure he is being given the wrong role each week, still our third highest goal scorer.

And how should the team be structured for that to happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Let’s turn it around.

What would Roberts have to do to have an acceptable game on Hawkins (has kicked over 500 goals and is likely to be Geelong’s best ever full forward)?

What would Cordy have to do? I’m sure he’s getting less of the ball this year, only had 6 touches against Bottom team.

What would Gowers have to do? I’m sure he is being given the wrong role each week, still our third highest goal scorer.

And how should the team be structured for that to happen?
    Win a few contests. Not turnover the ball or contribute to Geelong's score outside that.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Fletch but I don't get what his value is. He isn't strong enough to take on the monsters. He isn't quick. I guess he has some defensive guile. He can kick the ball but it's more over longer distances as a strength and his kicking was off vs Geelong. I honestly would like to hear from those who want him in the side tell me what he brings to the side (honestly not being facetious).

Say a guy like Lewis Young. Clearly not the finished product and has weaknesses, but he also has some strengths. He can read the ball when on and take intercept marks. He is also athletic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I agree. Also Forts second goal was the centered kick where he was on Hunter.

In that contest, Fort grabbed Hunter and threw him aside.

Can someone tell me where in the rule book it says you can do that?
    Last edited by bornadog; 21-05-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In that contest, Fort grabbed Hunter and threw him asise.

Can someone tell me where in the rule book it says you can do that?
    The part where it says if it makes the Geelong crowd laugh it's legal

21. Likes bornadog liked this post