Thanks Thanks:  254
Likes Likes:  1,764
Page 5 of 175 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Managment thread (For 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We made a play for the 190cm Steven May a few years back didn't we and Jake Lever is 194cm and we would happily take both/either of them if they were interested. In most cases if you are good enough you are tall enough. We also let the 197cm Lewis Young go so I don't think height for heights sake is a strong consideration for us.

I'm not sure Logue is exactly what we need but a couple of cm's of height isn't the issue from my perspective. He can play on all sizes of forwards so he's versatile but my question on him is more around if he is durable enough. I think he is also more of a 1 v 1 type defender which might appeal to us.

Gardner, Keath, O'Brien and in a few years time maybe Darcy is a decent starting point for key defenders but we do need to find someone else as well. At 24yo he could be a solid addition but we are probably at long odds to land him.
    Steven May is 193cm tall. And that's plenty tall enough to nullify most contests, and win plenty of others in a team oriented defence.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Steven May is 193cm tall. And that's plenty tall enough to nullify most contests, and win plenty of others in a team oriented defence.
    Logue is the same height and he is deemed too small. At 193cm that is tall enough if you have some athletic traits..
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Logue is the same height and he is deemed too small. At 193cm that is tall enough if you have some athletic traits.
    By whom is he deemed too small? BAD?

BAD is an extremely body conscious poster........you know that!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes hujsh, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I am worried about JUH. I watched via stream a quarter and a half of the VFL game and he was politely underwhelming. Add to the body of work presented whilst in the senior side, along with he senior and reserves form of last year and I have a feeling he will be a bust. He lacks urgency/intensity and I am not sure that we can coach that out of him. I would be inclined to do a deal with North/the Hawks/Essendon and prise some draft picks out of them that we can use on "our type of players".
    Nah, he’ll come good. Very young. Tough role to play. Has the skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    By whom is he deemed too small? BAD?

BAD is an extremely body conscious poster........you know that!
    Let's see Logue up against Lynch, or the King Brothers and then you will agree with me.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Let's see Logue up against Lynch, or the King Brothers and then you will agree with me.
    How does May go against them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    How does May go against them?
    Lynch has kicked a couple, but the whole team didn't play well, this year or last against Melbourne.

King also kicked a couple last year.

Hard to tell from stats, but surely you get my drift when you are up against 200cm plus forwards with talent.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lynch has kicked a couple, but the whole team didn't play well, this year or last against Melbourne.

King also kicked a couple last year.

Hard to tell from stats, but surely you get my drift when you are up against 200cm plus forwards with talent.
    Maybe the opposite is also true and you could see why dismissing Logue based just on a couple of centimetres might be a bit misguided without other factors to inform your judgement?

Post Thanks / Like

You know who did beat May? Aaron Naughton. That was pretty sweet.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had a look at some commentary around Logues draft year

Logue tested superbly at the AFL National Combine in October, recording a big vertical leap of 71cm, running right foot jump 91cm, 3.03 second 20 metre speed, 15.1 beep test, 9.58 minute 3km run and 25.09 second repeat speed.

He seems to have the right mix of athletic traits but I wonder if he is durable enough for us.

Logue went at pick 8 in his draft year and the other players Fremantle drafted were tall defenders and a ruckman and this was after trading for Hamling. No messing around at addressing a small back line or a lack of taller players.

Draft pick 38 - Sean Darcy
    Draft pick 41 - Brennan Cox
    Draft pick 66 - Luke Ryan
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He seems to have the right mix of athletic traits but I wonder if he is durable enough for us.

Logue went at pick 8 in his draft year and the other players Fremantle drafted were tall defenders and a ruckman and this was after trading for Hamling. No messing around at addressing a small back line or a lack of taller players.

Draft pick 38 - Sean Darcy
    Draft pick 41 - Brennan Cox
    Draft pick 66 - Luke Ryan
    Or on the flip side he could fit right in!

Great observation in list management by Fremantle in addressing key position stocks.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

My recollection of it is Logue was a bit of a reach based on his testing results and him being from WA, but to me he definitely looks the part. We’d have to give up something pretty significant though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

This conversation seems to be suggesting the dogs need a tall player.

Recent history shows they don’t recognise them. And I suspect that history is well known by potential players. They won’t come unless as a last resort.

From the AFL website, not written by a Bulldog supporter.

Schache selection reaps rewards
    There was some surprise when Josh Schache was included in the side to tackle the Demons given the Dogs' set of tall forwards. Schache started against Demons big man Luke Jackson but also spent time matched up against Ben Brown and Tom McDonald and played well across the night, finishing with 17 disposals and six marks. His inclusion was more valuable than the Dogs would have expected, though, given Keath's hamstring injury early in the first term left them a key defender down.

This about a tall who has also been our best goal kicker at times, as recently as two weeks ago when he also played a half on the back line.

And now they are not seen as being in our top 30 players ???

That game was against the top of the ladder and now we are worried about defeating the Suns?

A squad can go from grand final to worried about the Suns? Is it some form of joke?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe the opposite is also true and you could see why dismissing Logue based just on a couple of centimetres might be a bit misguided without other factors to inform your judgement?
    more like 10 plus centimetres.

The human race is getting bigger and bigger.

The King brothers are 202,
    McKay is 204
    Tom Lynch 199
    Hawkins 198
    Himmelberg (Crows) 200
    Peter Wright 203
    Hipwood 203
    Ben Brown 200

and then you look at Darcy at 207 which will be the new norm.

Bont is 193cm.

I know height isn't everything, but for me we have to start looking at a fullback around the 200cm mark who obviously can play.

I am sick of these big forwards kicking lots of goals because our guys are pip squeaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    This conversation seems to be suggesting the dogs need a tall player.

Recent history shows they don’t recognise them. And I suspect that history is well known by potential players. They won’t come unless as a last resort.

From the AFL website, not written by a Bulldog supporter.

Schache selection reaps rewards
    There was some surprise when Josh Schache was included in the side to tackle the Demons given the Dogs' set of tall forwards. Schache started against Demons big man Luke Jackson but also spent time matched up against Ben Brown and Tom McDonald and played well across the night, finishing with 17 disposals and six marks. His inclusion was more valuable than the Dogs would have expected, though, given Keath's hamstring injury early in the first term left them a key defender down.

This about a tall who has also been our best goal kicker at times, as recently as two weeks ago when he also played a half on the back line.

And now they are not seen as being in our top 30 players ???

That game was against the top of the ladder and now we are worried about defeating the Suns?

A squad can go from grand final to worried about the Suns? Is it some form of joke?

I am certainly with you on this.

We consistently refuse to pick tall players based on what they can't do and all our talls are expected to mobile and good at ground level.

Under Beveridge we have quickly closed off the career of an All Australian Ruckman and actively removed Premiership Talls in Roughead and Roberts. Plus a reasonable back-up ruck in Campbell.

We also recruited and then dismissed Trengove based on the same criteria

We have also seen Hamling and Adams choose to go elsewhere, while Boyd has retired with different issues.

Throughout all this we have consistently played undersized in defence.

Why would any tall choose to play under Beveridge.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

19. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post