Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  138
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation Get Brodie Grundy

It’s madness we aren’t up in Grundy’s grill.

I don’t care what the pick numbers are, but if we could:
    - In: Lobb, Grundy, Lions future 1st rd.
    - out: Dunks, pick 21 (or whatever we get for this year from Lions) our 2nd this year (30?)
    Still keep our first this year and next. And with Jones in… Surely that makes us a much better team next year?

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Taking a conservative approach?
    You're obviously very clever and witty like me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes MrMahatma, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the media has decided that a second ruck is the best way to use the 5 man bench but what exactly is the plan if a mid has to come off with concussion protocols? Is it really better to have a ruck sitting on the bench 50% of the game than to have a mid get less game time but be ready to preserve the rotations etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Collingwood adamant Melbourne’s pick 27 isn’t enough, needs to be around 20. Melbourne say they’re unwilling to move.

Should we try to shake things up, since Collingwood must move him for cap reasons? Throw in a late offer and move Dunkley’s rejected wage into paying Grundy?

Say Pick 21 if we had in a pick swap with Brisbane, offering that? Or swap Pick 11 for Wood’s Pick 16? Or Brisbane’s future first?

It probably still gets done with Dees, but is it worth asking the question? It’s not a massive trade cost, would devastate Dees plans for 2023.
    Go for it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I get the media has decided that a second ruck is the best way to use the 5 man bench but what exactly is the plan if a mid has to come off with concussion protocols? Is it really better to have a ruck sitting on the bench 50% of the game than to have a mid get less game time but be ready to preserve the rotations etc?
    Depends if the club has gun midfielders playing out of position to fit them all in, in say a forward flank? That team would just move a tall forward, and a midfielder back into the guts.

But that’s a really good thread of its own. Interesting strategy philosophy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I am beyond flabbergasted that we are entertaining giving Martin another season.

Can anyone make sense of that. Don't go for Grundy, keep Martin. It's the Bizarro world.
    The warning signs were there at the end of 2021 and we didn't identify a replacement. 12 months later he is still on the list and we aren't being linked with any ruckman (Lobb is a forward who rucks) so is it a reflection on how we review the position or is it something else?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Same here. This off-season feels like a carbon copy of last year and I was beyond livid with that one. If we simply let Dunkley go, recruit Jones and maybe Lobb, I'll be extremely disappointed. Feels like we're treading water above a whirlpool. We should be gunning for a flag. Words cannot express how frustrated, shocked and disappointed I am with our list management.
    Me too. Just bewildered and pissed off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The warning signs were there at the end of 2021 and we didn't identify a replacement. 12 months later he is still on the list and we aren't being linked with any ruckman (Lobb is a forward who rucks) so is it a reflection on how we review the position or is it something else?
    Tim is our ruckman and Lobb is our support. That is the start and end of it and nothing we have done over the past two seasons suggests otherwise.

All our eggs are in the Tim basket end of story and he'll probably absolutely crush it this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Tim is our ruckman and Lobb is our support. That is the start and end of it and nothing we have done over the past two seasons suggests otherwise.

All our eggs are in the Tim basket end of story and he'll probably absolutely crush it this year.
    I’d love to agree with you but we have just been through year three of Tim getting punked out in the finals by superior ruckmen. How many times do we need to make the same mistake.

It feels a bit like one of those cricket selections where a bat that the selectors like keeps getting chances off a string of failures, so they can say they told you so once they make one score, the average will still be shocking. There’s a bit of sunk costs fallacy in Tim as it sits and I’m convinced that the number one ruck role isn’t getting the most out of him.

What I will continue say is that I rate Lobb as a ruckman and think he will help. But Grundy wouldn’t just help, he’d fix.

Whatever. I’m becoming a one note poster on this and we all know how annoying they are so I’ll give up and stop.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Matty Lloyd clearly rates Tim higher than many on WOOF

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim is a very good player with the potential to be an excellent one, but I also think he's just the kind of player that would be suited to having another ruckman (in the Grundy mould) alongside him.

My concern with how we've managed the ruck situation is the lack of forward planning. He's only contracted until the end of 2024 and I wouldn't be surprised at all if a move to WA is in his thinking.

Where are we left if Tim requests a trade at the end of next year?

The coaching staff don't seem to think Sweet is up to it yet we've put four years of development into him, Stef Martin is going into his third season as an emergency backup and there's nothing below either of those two.

Where's the next cab off the rank and why hasn't that been in our thinking?

17. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, Happy Days, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Where's the next cab off the rank and why hasn't that been in our thinking?
    I think Darcy will end up in the ruck in the future but he is only 19 and has a way to go.

We really need to look at another mature ruckman, plus another development ruck

Post Thanks / Like

Tim's an exceptional athlete and a fine footballer. He's also a below average ruckman which is problematic when you're a designated first ruck.

If memory serves in our post-GF pantsing mea culpas we were fairly vocal about our desire to strengthen our ruck stocks ahead of last year's trade period. Nek minnit we rolled out precisely the same personnel which shockingly, yielded similar results.

We've just doubled down on that by offering the donated organs of Stef Martin another year on the list.

Lobb helps, insofar as it's a step up from doing literally nothing, but those expecting a 30 year old career flake to repeat his season '22 goal and games played tallies may wanna brace themselves.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Matty Lloyd clearly rates Tim higher than many on WOOF

Lloyd's no 9 on the list completely destroyed his no 4 in the EF this year, and he is 12 months younger. English is the type to be overrated by scribes because of his ability to smash non-competitive hack rucks and also his ability to accumulate big possession numbers for a ruckman. He has great overall numbers, but unfortunately when the whips are cracking in big games/finals and against the better ruckmen, he has consistently been found well short of the mark.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

21. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gone to Dees for pick 27.