Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Williams with a point to prove

link

By the end of 2019, Bailey Williams knew he had a point to prove.

The 22-year-old found himself in and out of Luke Beveridge’s best 22 throughout the season, featuring nine times at AFL level around some strong performances in the VFL.

But after signing a two-year deal in the off-season, that disappointment has driven Williams all summer.

“Last year was a bit of a frustrating year being in and out of the team,” Williams told westernbulldogs.com.au

“But I love the club and I love the boys at the club, so it was a pretty easy choice to stay.

“I just wanted to back myself to be able to get into that 22 and stay there, so I’ve come back fitter and stronger and hopefully it all pans out.”
    Take a look as the AFL players tested themselves today in this match simulation training session.

Williams says he’s fitter and stronger than he’s ever been.

He knows he’ll need to be, as he looks to establish himself in an experienced back six bolstered by the off-season inclusion of key back Alex Keath.

“I’m always working on my endurance to try to run out games better, and the defensive part of my game as well,” Williams said.

“I think my strength is the offensive part of my game, so if I can improve defensively things should be going pretty well.

“I’m trying to play a similar role to Easton Wood, and there’s no better to learn off than him.

“He’s been helping me heaps, and Alex Keath has been dominating on the track and is another player I’ve been getting good feedback off.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Williams with a point to prove

Could be a break out year for Williams.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Has showed plenty of promising signs on the journey. If he can put it all together he can be key plank in our best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s funny -I read the headline and thought ‘Yes, he does have a bit to prove’.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to read Bailey has a clear focus. Be the best you can be Bailey and be a Bulldog legend.

Post Thanks / Like

Good, he had a poor year in 2019 and I want to see him come out swinging and fighting back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Good, he had a poor year in 2019 and I want to see him come out swinging and fighting back.
    He had some struggles no doubt, trained in the midfield during the preseason but them played in the back half and twice got dropped after just one senior game.

Great to hear he is having an excellent preseason. Hopefully he will get some chances
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He has the ability to do some jaw dropping things, both good and bad. There is a spot in our 22 for him, if he can find consistency.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He has the ability to do some jaw dropping things, both good and bad. There is a spot in our 22 for him, if he can find consistency.
    He's the sort of player who if he could learn to work within his limitations that he could be a really handy player. Like Tom Hafey said to Kevin Sheedy "Kevin, fair dinkum mate, you're too slow to do all this finessin'. A bloody back pocket plumber, that's all I want. If you see the bloody ball then just get your foot to the damn thing and get it heading toward our goals"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see Williams surpass his 2018 form this year. There was clearly something behind the scenes which meant he lost bevos favour. Glad he stayed - he has one of the best side steps I’ve seen, another player that could fit in like a star trade after last year.
    Last edited by AshMac; 18-02-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It’s funny -I read the headline and thought ‘Yes, he does have a bit to prove’.
    Ditto. Probably (aside from Gowers) the one with the most to prove this year.

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Ditto. Probably (aside from Gowers) the one with the most to prove this year.
    Hopefully he can have a breakout year. I look forward to him hopefully tearing up from out back when I at the games at Marvel.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Hopefully he can have a breakout year. I look forward to him hopefully tearing up from out back when I at the games at Marvel.
    He was moving brilliantly on Friday. I had a couple too many beers Friday so need to watch the replay for his overall
    Impact - but his movement looked back to his best with ball in hand.