Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  183
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to the Western Bulldogs

He just needs to play.
    In time, he and Naughton will stop flying for the same mark and be able top separate a bit better. It's not something that can be replicated at training, it will only happen as they gain match time together.

I know the article highlighted the contest late with Rampe, but there was a down-the-line kick earlier that quarter that ended up a two on one and he killed it over the boundary. He wouldn't have done that last year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He just needs to play.
    In time, he and Naughton will stop flying for the same mark and be able top separate a bit better. It's not something that can be replicated at training, it will only happen as they gain match time together.

I know the article highlighted the contest late with Rampe, but there was a down-the-line kick earlier that quarter that ended up a two on one and he killed it over the boundary. He wouldn't have done that last year.
    In the forward pocket? He thumped it about 20 metres over the boundary instead of trying to take the mark (which is obviously what the two Sydney defenders were expecting him to do). It was exactly the right thing to do in that situation.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In the forward pocket? He thumped it about 20 metres over the boundary instead of trying to take the mark (which is obviously what the two Sydney defenders were expecting him to do). It was exactly the right thing to do in that situation.
    I think he was going to mark it but the sydney player in front fell down so JUH lost his balance and had no choice but to spoil!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

5. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think he was going to mark it but the sydney player in front fell down so JUH lost his balance and had no choice but to spoil!
    Ah yep. It was up the other end of the ground from us so it was a bit hard to tell what happened in the lead up. I just had a quick look at the replay on the screen in front of us.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Not that one - there was another closer to the opposite wing/flank

In round 2 there were a few contests he didn't compete in the air. Round 3 was a big improvement.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

He also managed to get out on his own a couple of times and got ignored.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    He also managed to get out on his own a couple of times and got ignored.

There was one where he was sitting 20 metres out on the angle and Hunter just ignored him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It is good we eased Jamarra back and he had inspiration and focus during preseason.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'I've done the work': Marra's main focus after Bont-inspired summer

JAMARRA Ugle-Hagan has been looking back on his junior form as he finds more and more confidence at the top level with the Western Bulldogs.

The young Bulldogs forward, who turned 20 on Monday, had seven disposals and kicked the opening goal in the club's tight win over Sydney last week but his performance was made up of a number of other moments that saw him impact.

He was involved in a tough one-on-one collision with Swans midfielder Ollie Florent when the ball was up for grabs and later in the game hunted down some opponents with repeat efforts that influenced the contest.

The No.1 pick at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft trained extensively with Dogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli over his off-season after playing five games in his debut campaign last year and says with every game he is feeling more comfortable.

"Back when I was younger playing footy I felt like the big dog out on the field but I've got to keep bringing that back and enjoy my footy. The game will come back to me and it's been great to just compete, which is my main focus, and halve every contest at least or win them," Ugle-Hagan told AFL.com.au.

"I've done the work and worked pretty hard to be in the position I am now thanks to Marcus, but it's been great to get the reward because I've been trying to do everything right but I'm glad it's coming now a little bit."

Ugle-Hagan's athleticism and attack on the ball were key components of his game as a draftee and he said playing in the Bulldogs' forward line had given him easy access to a model of how to bring out those traits.

"I just watch Aaron Naughton do it and he doesn't hesitate, he just goes and marks that ball," Ugle-Hagan said. "It was a great experience to be out there and 1-2 sounds so much better than 0-3. It's great to be in the forward line and the energy is unbelievable."

Coach Luke Beveridge has been open in discussing the need to get games experience into Ugle-Hagan and was pleased with the young forward's development against the Swans.

"You look at his direct involvements and you say how did he go? He played a really important role for us. I thought the McCartin brothers were really good for Sydney – they intercepted and played critical roles on our key forwards but the great thing about 'Marra' and 'Naughts' was they just fought their backsides off for the team," Beveridge said after the game.

"They had their looks. We need to capitalise more on these set shots but it was encouraging [from Ugle-Hagan] and important for the future but important for the now that we get a really solid contribution from him. I thought he really gave that."

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buckle up, this is going to be awesome.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Thanks jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Mofra, MrMahatma, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From one No.1 pick to another: McCartin's advice for young Dog

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has found support from inside a rival football club, with Sydney recruit Paddy McCartin helping him handle the immense pressure of the No.1 pick tag.

Not many current players truly understand the added burden that comes with not only being the first player taken in the NAB AFL Draft, but a key forward taken with that prized pick.

McCartin fits the bill. Before the 25-year-old reignited his career at the SCG, McCartin lived and breathed what Ugle-Hagan is going through now during his time at St Kilda, where he played 35 games amid eight different concussions, which eventually ended his time at the club.

Ugle-Hagan has played 11 games since arriving at the Whitten Oval at the end of 2020 but is yet to grasp his chance in Luke Beveridge's side, despite the absence of star key forward Josh Bruce, who is edging closer to a return from a knee reconstruction.

The 20-year-old played the first six games of the season before being sent back to Footscray and has had every performance of his career to date forensically examined.

Speaking at the launch of Sir Doug Nicholls Round on Monday, Ugle-Hagan revealed McCartin reached out after they faced each other in round three and has been a sounding board for the young spearhead, building a connection through mutual friend Bruce, who has also been a constant source of support.

“Paddy McCartin actually reached out to me after the Sydney game and he’s just looked after me, just little messages saying that he’s there for me and to message me if you ever need,” Ugle-Hagan told reporters on Monday.

“It's a challenging role to accept but it’s great to know that someone else on another football team understands my position and understands what we go through, which is massive pressure but we just feed off that and obviously it’s going to make us better footballers.

"He just said reach out and ask for help if I have any questions about how I'm going. After the Sydney game he messaged me, which was unbelievable because I found he was a great bloke on the field, gave me a couple of confidence messages when I was out there.”

Ugle-Hagan admits the weight of expectation is challenging to handle at times, but he is committed to improving his craft and proving to the doubters that he was a worthy No. 1 pick.

"It’s a massive challenge because it’s going to affect my game here and there because obviously they come at me knowing who I am and what I do, but I wear it as a pride thing. It will make me a better footballer," he said.

"It (the pressure) does get to you a bit here and there. But when I’m on the footy field I just forget. I try to just feed off it to improve my game.

"My nan always tells me, ‘You’re only 20’. But with the patience, that’s probably the hardest bit to accept that I’m not there yet. But I’m coming. It will come."

Ugle-Hagan has to be patient, even if football fans don't want to wait for him to develop.

Riley Thilthorpe (pick No.2) and Logan McDonald (No.4) play the same position, were taken shortly after the young Dog and are both yet to set the world on fire this year. Thilthorpe has only managed one senior game in 2022, while McDonald has kicked four goals in six games – the same as Ugle-Hagan – and been dropped twice.

With Buku Khamis kicking three goals against Collingwood last Friday night, Ugle-Hagan might have to bide his time at Footsray for a bit longer, building form alongside last year's pick No. 2 Sam Darcy, who played his first game after overcoming a stress fracture in his foot.

"It was good to see him out here. He looks comfortable and its only up from here," he said.

"It was obviously a frustrating game in the VFL, but he played down at centre-half back a little bit, then he came down forward with me which was a lot easier, but it didn’t come down, which was hard."

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

18. Thanks josie, bornadog, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Riley Thilthorpe (pick No.2) and Logan McDonald (No.4) play the same position, were taken shortly after the young Dog and are both yet to set the world on fire this year. Thilthorpe has only managed one senior game in 2022, while McDonald has kicked four goals in six games – the same as Ugle-Hagan – and been dropped twice."

I think that's some important context for us all to remember. Jamarra is not alone in struggling to find his place in the AFL.

20. Likes josie, hujsh, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    "Riley Thilthorpe (pick No.2) and Logan McDonald (No.4) play the same position, were taken shortly after the young Dog and are both yet to set the world on fire this year. Thilthorpe has only managed one senior game in 2022, while McDonald has kicked four goals in six games – the same as Ugle-Hagan – and been dropped twice."

I think that's some important context for us all to remember. Jamarra is not alone in struggling to find his place in the AFL.
    Wise words JD, and they had senior footy under their belt in their u/18 yr.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

And we need to acknowledge that both Thilthorpe and McDonald didn't have Covid interruptions prior to being drafted.
    We just need to wait for Jumarra to catch up in his development.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

JUH will be right. He is tall and will take longer to mature, but people seem to forget that, especially when yoiu have freaks like Naughton whose body was more mature at the same age.