Thanks Thanks:  138
Likes Likes:  223
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Really appreciate that summary dog town.

Excited to hear about Wallis playing on a wing. He clearly has AFL attributes, so if he can find a way to make that work for him in a different role it would definitely be to the benefit of the team. The Angus Brayshaw defensive winger role would seem to be the goal - does Mitch have the tank for that?

JJ being dominant and a leader as a forward was also a key takeaway for me.
    There is a bit of a move towards making your wing a taller player who can perform a more defensive role in a structure. Personally I still prefer a winger that can get on the outside and provide a running link but there is quite a few examples of different types playing that role now.

With forwards pushing up the ground hard to defend on turnover it gives options for coaches to decide where the fat side winger is best used and that opens up options for different types. You still want some offensive output from your wingers in my view.

I wonder if the stand rule and having the ability for more overlap from marks is opening up the option of playing a more defensive winger as well. Less reliance on run through the lines when anyone can run past and create that overlap.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Possibly just managing his loads, he did some running before he got on the bike but fair to say he did the least running of guys that didn’t play.
    Ok thanks mate. Interesting hope he's OK and it's just loads like you said.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a bit of a move towards making your wing a taller player who can perform a more defensive role in a structure. Personally I still prefer a winger that can get on the outside and provide a running link but there is quite a few examples of different types playing that role now.

With forwards pushing up the ground hard to defend on turnover it gives options for coaches to decide where the fat side winger is best used and that opens up options for different types. You still want some offensive output from your wingers in my view.

I wonder if the stand rule and having the ability for more overlap from marks is opening up the option of playing a more defensive winger as well. Less reliance on run through the lines when anyone can run past and create that overlap.
    That's an interesting take and I'm glad to hear we're giving Wally a chance to develop in another role. We're definitely a little short on players who are willing to sacrifice their own game for the greater good but there is no doubt Wally is the type to do whatever is required.

I'm not convinced he is athletic enough to play on a wing full time but I'm certainly interested to see how it turns out.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are your first choice wingman? The balance of Hunter and R.Smith appeared to work in the later part of the season.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Great reading DT. Any reason Treloar wasn’t involved that anyone knows of?
    He and dunks coming off covid

7. Thanks boydogs thanked for this post
    Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    He and dunks coming off covid
    Ah...Gee what a surprise they both got it!

#bromance4life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Who are your first choice wingman? The balance of Hunter and R.Smith appeared to work in the later part of the season.
    They'd be mine to start. Roarke really has worked his ar5e off for his spot and I think he deserves to (if he trains well which we know he will) be there to start the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up dt… very much appreciated.

I see Naughton, English, JUH and Baz as the 4 players with the biggest scope for improvement with said improvement having the greatest impact in our performance so it’s good to hear all look in excellent shape.

Exciting times ahead WOOF’ers.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given JJ played very well in the two middle finals and he's hitting pre-season hard he may just remind us all why he is so valued among the group.
    Thank for the post, very much appreciated.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    They'd be mine to start. Roarke really has worked his ar5e off for his spot and I think he deserves to (if he trains well which we know he will) be there to start the year.
    At this point in time the wing is Roarke's to lose. I'm happy playing him until someone is ready to play it well, his ability to roll back into defense and his bravery is a great tool.

16. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How's the hit from Jacko!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm just excited that there is some continuous footage of a drill, not the usual fast cuts of one person marking, then a completely different drill, then the balls on the ground, then the sky, then a handball, then a coach etc etc.

Really enjoyed the video.

19. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Great pass. Jacko to Bont - hope to see a lot of that this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Boys have been at a camp in Warrnambool. Some great photos found in gallery here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.