Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

New directors added to Bulldogs’ Board

New directors added to Bulldogs’ Board

Three new Directors will join the Board of the Western Bulldogs over the next few months.

Club President Peter Gordon also announced plans to conduct a broader Governance review to prepare the Club for the next phase of its growth agenda.

Former CEO and player Simon Garlick, Australian Nursing and Midwifery Branch Secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick and Culture is Life CEO Belinda Duarte will join the Board immediately – Belinda initially to serve as an observer with the intention that she be appointed as Director at the next Annual General Meeting.

The appointments of Fitzpatrick and Duarte will bring the number of women on the Board to five, and the Club expects that as from the 2019 AGM in December, the Board will comprise an equal number of men and women as non-executive directors – a first in the Club’s history.

“We’re delighted to welcome Simon, Lisa and Belinda to the Board who will each add tremendous value and insight based on their vast years of experience across a number of important strategic focus areas,” Gordon said.

The Bulldogs President also announced an external Governance review to be conducted by Victoria University Chancellor George Pappas and Western Bulldogs Community Foundation Chair Gaye Hamilton, which will consider both current Board structure and performance and future Board needs. Pappas and Hamilton both have extensive corporate and community experience, and both have previously served as long-standing directors of the Club.

“I believe the quality of our Board over the past seven years has been an area of competitive advantage for the Club,” Gordon said.

“In this period we have won Premierships, led the way in women’s football, played a leading role in the establishment of modern competitive balance principles, continued being at the forefront of the provision of community services, eradicated debt, and enjoyed continuous business growth.

However, the AFL environment is constantly changing and the challenges of the next decade will be very different to the last. Our board functions well and we want to ensure it continues to adapt and improve.”

Gaye Hamilton previously led the sub-committee which resolved to approach Peter Gordon to take over the Presidency of the Club upon David Smorgon’s retirement as President in November 2012.

Gordon, who was appointed President for a three-year term at the end of 2018, said the review is intended to ensure the Club maintains competitive acumen while planning for the future.

“The construct of the Board should reflect the right governance model considering that the Club now operates four teams, has a secondary home presence in Ballarat, is committed to a major Whitten Oval redevelopment, is intent on an exit from the gaming industry and operates an ever-broadening suite of community services through its Community Foundation,” Gordon said.

“I have also stated that this current term will be my last as President and the review will ensure the matter of succession planning is dealt with appropriately.”

BELINDA DUARTE

Belinda was born and raised in Ballarat, is a proud First Nations woman (a descendant of the Wotjobaluk and Dja Dja Wurrung people), and was the inaugural director of Richmond Football Club’s Korin Gamadji Institute. Belinda was named AFL Woman of the Year in 2012, and has been a leader in social change. Her current roles include Board member of the MCG Trust, Deputy Chair of the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation, Co-Chair of Reconciliation Victoria and Committee Member of Churchill Fellowship Regional Committee. Belinda will provide guidance to the Club in a wide range of areas, but with a particular focus on community engagement and our commitment to reconciliation, Ballarat community development and ensuring healthy and inclusive communities.

SIMON GARLICK

Simon was the Bulldogs’ Chief Executive from 2010-15, playing a key role in building the foundation for the Club’s ultimate success in 2016. Simon has since been CEO of leading sponsorship, experiential and communications agency, Bastion EBA. He previously served as football director for the Club from 2007-10 and also served as a Director of the AFL Players Association during his playing career that spanned 181 AFL games over 11 seasons with the Bulldogs and the Sydney Swans. Simon will partner with Matthew Croft as the Board’s joint football directors.

LISA FITZPATRICK

Lisa has been Secretary at the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation since 2001, and until recently has been a Trustee Director of First State Superannuation Fund. Lisa was President of the Victorian Trades Hall Council from 2014-16 and an executive member of the Australian Council of Trade Unions and the Victorian Trades Hall Council. In all of those roles, she has had responsibility for high level negotiations including with Government. Lisa is the sister of Adrian Fitzpatrick who served the Club for seven years as finance director after the 1989 fightback, and who still serves as finance director on the Club’s Community Foundation.

2. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New directors added to Bulldogs’ Board

Interesting Simons back , I assumed he left unhappy , obviously not .
    Mentions looking at the next president, could be him by the looks of it.
    Great to see Matthew Croft in he has always been around since he retired.
    Wonder if Chris Grant has President wishes.
    This is a great move by the club and Peter, looking to improve and new ideas all the time.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Interesting Simons back , I assumed he left unhappy , obviously not .
    Mentions looking at the next president, could be him by the looks of it.
    Great to see Matthew Croft in he has always been around since he retired.
    Wonder if Chris Grant has President wishes.
    This is a great move by the club and Peter, looking to improve and new ideas all the time.
    Crofty has been on the board for a few years now. Good to see Simon back as well.

I thought Chris was the Football Director?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Crofty has been on the board for a few years now. Good to see Simon back as well.

I thought Chris was the Football Director?
    Chris is. Just wondering if he has president ambitions.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The club is very well run and I'm sure the new appointments will bring in skills sets that will compliment our vision
    I'm also really happy to see Simon Garlick return to the club as well.
    I had a quick chat to him once on the train going home from a game and yes despite his departure he was still a Bulldogs man
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Lisa Fitzpatrick will be excellent for where the Club is at.
    A passionate Bulldog member who attends all our games, and who is extremely well connected at the highest levels of the current state Labour Govt.

9. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Prince Imperial, bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish them all well. Hoping they all bring some great ideas to the club. Good to see Simon back. I don’t believe the circumstance around his departure we’re crazy but correct me if I’m wrong.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The club is very well run and I'm sure the new appointments will bring in skills sets that will compliment our vision
    I'm also really happy to see Simon Garlick return to the club as well.
    I had a quick chat to him once on the train going home from a game and yes despite his departure he was still a Bulldogs man
    Back in the VFA days there was a player called George Garlick. It's not a very common name so I wonder if there is a family history connecting the Garlicks with the Bulldogs? Simon might not be the first member of his family to pull the tricolour on?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Got to hand it to Peter Gordon. He is very dynamic and always looking to invigorate the club and planning for the future. When i think about some of the other club president's i reckon we've struck gold.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing Kylie Watson-Wheeler is vice president i imagine she may well be our next president. She's vice president of Disney Aust & nz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Seeing Kylie Watson-Wheeler is vice president i imagine she may well be our next president. She's vice president of Disney Aust & nz.
    Senior Vice President & Managing Director, The Walt Disney Company Australia & New Zealand
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Senior Vice President & Managing Director, The Walt Disney Company Australia & New Zealand
    That’s huge
    Bring back the biff