Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ: I want to bring as much pressure as possible

They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

But as Jason Johannisen enters his 13th AFL pre-season, that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Despite beginning his career as a dashing defender, Johannisen took on more of an attacking role in 2022.

And while he’s happy to be deployed on-field wherever needed, he said he’s looking forward to building on what he’s started.

“Small forward or half-forward is probably one of the hardest positions on the ground, because you’re not necessarily getting a lot of involvements, so the ones you do get, you really have to make sure are quality,” Johannisen told Fox Footy this week.

“There’s been a lot of learning curves – especially with patterns to run.

“My job is really to put on as much pressure as I can, and try to be that link-up player between the mids and forwards.”

It comes as the 30-year-old and 2016 Norm Smith Medallist eyes his 200th career game – a feat he’s likely to reach by the time his latest contract is up.

Johannisen penned a two-year extension at the end of last year, tying him to the Kennel until at least the end of 2024.

“I always wanted to stay at the Bulldogs. I’m so happy here,” he said.

“I’ve pretty much spent all of my adult life here, so I was just patient that a deal would get done.

“Obviously there was a bit of interest around, but at the end of the day I just couldn’t be more rapt to be here another two years.”

Johannisen has played 176 games in the red, white and blue since being taken with pick 39 in the 2011 Rookie Draft.

link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: JJ: I want to bring as much pressure as possible

Very much a nothing article but glad JJ penned a new deal with us. Does anyone think he has the engine (and smarts) to play the wing?
    WOOF Member 422

4. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's been a great success story - late pick (rookie) who genuinely came from nowhere. I coached against him in his draft year and whilst I knew who he was he does not feature in any of my notes/communications to the players about key oppo players, things to watch etc. Came from a LONG way back to get drafted and has built a great career.

I'm not sure about the 'bring as much pressure' etc stuff though...that's never really been him and if can find this mindset this far in it will be a pretty remarkable turnaround...from running half-back to pressure forward? Has anyone ever done that?

He has shown flashes over the past couple of seasons of being an effective link up forward but has been let down repeatedly by his body - just as he would seem to get going, he would be injured and miss time...and when you are playing in an unfamiliar role, well, you simply need time on ground...

I hope he can do it but ultimately I think he (and we) would be better off if he could return to his role as a running small defender. I think that horse has bolted though and that would be a 'break glass' type, game day decision only.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He's been a great success story - late pick (rookie) who genuinely came from nowhere. I coached against him in his draft year and whilst I knew who he was he does not feature in any of my notes/communications to the players about key oppo players, things to watch etc. Came from a LONG way back to get drafted and has built a great career.

I'm not sure about the 'bring as much pressure' etc stuff though...that's never really been him and if can find this mindset this far in it will be a pretty remarkable turnaround...from running half-back to pressure forward? Has anyone ever done that?

He has shown flashes over the past couple of seasons of being an effective link up forward but has been let down repeatedly by his body - just as he would seem to get going, he would be injured and miss time...and when you are playing in an unfamiliar role, well, you simply need time on ground...

I hope he can do it but ultimately I think he (and we) would be better off if he could return to his role as a running small defender. I think that horse has bolted though and that would be a 'break glass' type, game day decision only.
    As Scraggers has asked, could he play the wing role? I feel he could be a wingman with his pace and delivery into the forward line.
    Last edited by bornadog; 18-01-2023 at 11:37 AM.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As Scraggers has asked, could he play the wing roll? I feel he could be a wingman with his pace and delivery into the forward line.
    A wing roll sounds delicious but how would one remove the bones?

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    A wing roll sounds delicious but how would one remove the bones?
    haha, good pickup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As Scraggers has asked, could he play the wing role? I feel he could be a wingman with his pace and delivery into the forward line.
    No idea.

As for his delivery into the forward line, JJ is the master blaster himself so I'm not sure that's a real strength of his game. I thought when he was moved forward it was an attempt to try and reduce turnovers...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

He has shown great signs at times up forward over the last two years - but as pointed out in the thread he hasnt done it for long enough, often enough, perhaps due to injury and team balance/form etc

I really like the thrust of what JJ's saying in this article and for us to go forward we almost need a few players to play roles where they are more selfless and impactful without the ball in hand, and JJ is a great example, of someone who could step up and do that.

In the magical run that was 2016 we had a lot of foot soldiers. If JJ can transition from being a Norm Smith medalist HBF to more of a defensive forward then it could make a huge difference to our team success.

Personally I dont think he's suited to primarily playing wing, but he can be part of a rotation through that position

Post Thanks / Like

I think he’s shown a huge amount of forward nous and he’s got more improvement there too. Love JJ, bring on a big 2023.

14. Likes josie, azabob liked this post