Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  86
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why the Bulldogs will take a tumble in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My biggest fear is our defensive system that broke down last year. This is our biggest concern. Yes we added Jones, but team defense breakdown can't happen again.
    Yep team defence and our 1st ruck are the two huge watch outs for me.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I asked ChatGPT "Tell me why the Western Bulldogs will fail in 2023" and this is the response - which has some familiar themes!

As an AI language model, I cannot predict the future with certainty, but I can provide some possible reasons why the Western Bulldogs might not perform well in 2023:

Stronger competition: The Australian Football League (AFL) is highly competitive, and there are always teams that improve from season to season. The Western Bulldogs may struggle if they face tougher opponents in 2023.

Injuries: Injuries can have a significant impact on a team's performance, and if the Western Bulldogs experience a significant number of injuries to key players, they may struggle to maintain their form.

Internal conflicts: Any team can be affected by internal conflicts or discord, and if the Western Bulldogs experience such issues, it could impact their performance on the field.

Changes in coaching staff: The coaching staff plays a critical role in a team's success, and if the Western Bulldogs experience changes in their coaching staff, it may take time for the players to adjust to new strategies and tactics.

Loss of key players: The Western Bulldogs may struggle if they lose key players to injury or to other teams in the offseason. It can be challenging to replace a star player, and it may take time for the team to find a suitable replacement.

It's worth noting, however, that these are merely speculative reasons and that the Western Bulldogs have a strong team with experienced players and a solid track record. Ultimately, it's impossible to predict with certainty how they will perform in 2023.
    FYI - ChatGPT is only up to date until the end of 2021. Can't give you the winner of the FIFA World Cup last year for instance. (Hell, it buggered up a simple Subtraction problem).

Hence why it is free at present. Working on the refinements for live use (and monetisation as well I presume).

PS: Hope the coaching Staff aren't using it for ideas, although I have heard LAde has fitted in beautifully and Bevo is happy!

Post Thanks / Like

On he point of small defenders, I appreciate that Dureya is the only one that rolls off the tongue,but I think you could probably convert McLean, Garcia and possibly Hannan into lock down defenders if push came to shove. All quick, good size and great readers of the play. Wouldn't be instant, but I think you could solve the problem if you needed to.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the players listed as leaving I think we orchestrated 50% of them and from the other 2 only Dunkley was a critical player. If we made a list of players to leave every club since 2015 I am confident we would be better than most teams in terms of quality out the door.

6. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On Josh Dunkley, his relevance to the team was/is definitely over stated. Effectiveness is true hallmark of any professional sportsman/woman. That's why we pine over players like Bont, Libba, Pendlebury, Robbie Gray, Dusty, etc.

Who cares how much ball, how many tackles, how many marks you get?

When do you get them, where do you get it, what do you do with it?

This, to me, will always be the definition of a quality footballer. I could care less about quantity footballers. You can find them anywhere and everywhere. It's the quality ones we need to nurture and develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    On he point of small defenders, I appreciate that Dureya is the only one that rolls off the tongue,but I think you could probably convert McLean, Garcia and possibly Hannan into lock down defenders if push came to shove. All quick, good size and great readers of the play. Wouldn't be instant, but I think you could solve the problem if you needed to.
    Arty sounds like he has some potential there and we'll see how Cleary/Gallagher come on this year of course. Could quickly be back to having too many.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Dunks was a good player. And he deserved our B&F last year. But I do believe he's easily covered with the improved balance and I massively rate McLean. Hunter (well, the wing position) isn't so easily covered but he hardly played and rarely well when he was in so it's a 0 sum game there.

I'm definitely expecting big things this year but there's also a chance it call fall apart if Jones pings an old-man hammy and Lobb doesn't gel with the team and English doesn't take a reasonably large step fwd in hit outs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I know Dunks was a good player. And he deserved our B&F last year. But I do believe he's easily covered with the improved balance and I massively rate McLean. Hunter (well, the wing position) isn't so easily covered but he hardly played and rarely well when he was in so it's a 0 sum game there.

I'm definitely expecting big things this year but there's also a chance it call fall apart if Jones pings an old-man hammy and Lobb doesn't gel with the team and English doesn't take a reasonably large step fwd in hit outs.
    I think we will miss Hunter (at his best) more than Dunks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyahoy View Post
    On Josh Dunkley, his relevance to the team was/is definitely over stated. Effectiveness is true hallmark of any professional sportsman/woman. That's why we pine over players like Bont, Libba, Pendlebury, Robbie Gray, Dusty, etc.

Who cares how much ball, how many tackles, how many marks you get?

When do you get them, where do you get it, what do you do with it?

This, to me, will always be the definition of a quality footballer. I could care less about quantity footballers. You can find them anywhere and everywhere. It's the quality ones we need to nurture and develop.
    He did win the best and fairest, I mean the coaches are probably a good gauge of effectiveness right?

He will be a huge loss.

That was coming off the back of a significant shoulder injury too, so the professionalism is outstanding.

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah come on now, Dunkley might be a milquetoast loser but he’s a complete stud and we don’t have anyone close to covering him.

For a team whose biggest failings have come in being unable to stop teams scoring in volume, losing an (and our only tbh) elite two-way mid is potentially devastating. Not to mention his phenomenal offensive contested game and high quality work as a resting forward.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes Sedat, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we will miss Hunter (at his best) more than Dunks
    There was never a trade Hunter thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    There was never a trade Hunter thread
    Bloody Jeemak missed that one
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Bulldog Joe, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I won’t miss either Dunkley or Hunter going for goal. Always had to look the other way. Dunkley improved over the years but was never reliable. I’ve got belief in Maclean, West and Garcia to more than make up for Barbie Ken, and that Scott, Bedendo, Williams and possibly Baker to make up for losing Hunter. I’ll also be watching closely whether Bazlenka’s disposal accuracy improves. If it does and Bont and Macrae play well then we are in for a good year.

I think we could perform really well this year and I’m quite optimistic, however likely a good start will be crucial and first month or so of games are tough. Then if we do well to start year I hope we keep it up as we have a habit of losing against teams we are expected to win or match well against and an inability to consistently string 4+ straight wins together.

19. Likes 1eyedog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We needed to play one less midfielder on balance and Dunks going will hopefully force our hand. We also have a genuine 2nd ruck/forward, plus an intercepting key defender which were 2 gaping holes from a team balance perspective so I’m pretty optimistic that we’ll be more consistent this season than last year (and 2020).

We might not be good enough to really push for a flag - think other sides are stronger overall - but I think we’ll have more pieces in the right places than last year. I’m pretty bullish for 2024/25 as Darcy, Marra, Naughton, English etc develop further together.
    Last edited by comrade; 24-02-2023 at 09:13 AM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We needed to play one less midfielder on balance and Dunks going will hopefully force our hand. We also have a genuine 2nd ruck/forward, plus an intercepting key defender which were 2 gaping holes from a team balance perspective so I’m pretty optimistic that we’ll be more consistent this season than last year (and 2020).

We might not be good enough to really push for a flag - think other sides are stronger overall - but I think we’ll have more pieces in the right places than last year. I’m pretty bullish for 2024/25 as Darcy, Marra, Naughton, English etc develop further together.
    I think we've somehow added 2 to replace him in Daniel and McLean

23. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post