Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  86
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why the Bulldogs will take a tumble in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think we've somehow added 2 to replace him in Daniel and McLean
    You’re probably right but at least those two are versatile enough to move around when required - Daniel is obviously an elite HBF and McLean is capable inside 50. Dunks should never leave the centre and trying to shoe horn forward so much over the last 3 years was silly.

How we line up in the midfield is going to be very interesting this year - I worry for Treloar.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Leaving aside
    (a) the paragraph about the culture of the Club. That has to be speculation;
    (b) the suggestion that Beveridge might be the problem in players leaving. Dunkley aside, a serious loss but that's life, assuming those named were distractions or bad influences, the Club has been right to move them on;
    (c) predictions. Always dangerous before rounds 3 or 4
    I agree with most of the article and add that the poor defensive games of the mids last year was only half the story, the forwards were even worse. If the defensive part of the players' game, generally, improve, then, on paper at least, there's reason for optimism for 2023.

3. Likes GVGjr, Stevo, bornadog, Dogs 24/7, 1eyedog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Leaving aside
    (a) the paragraph about the culture of the Club. That has to be speculation;
    (b) the suggestion that Beveridge might be the problem in players leaving. Dunkley aside, a serious loss but that's life, assuming those named were distractions or bad influences, the Club has been right to move them on;
    (c) predictions. Always dangerous before rounds 3 or 4
    I agree with most of the article and add that the poor defensive games of the mids last year was only half the story, the forwards were even worse. If the defensive part of the players' game, generally, improve, then, on paper at least, there's reason for optimism for 2023.
    A) The speculation of the culture challenges at the club last year was very strong and it does appear that we addressed it at the end of last season.
    B) Players don't appear to be leaving us because of Bevo so from my perspective that is an assumption that might have been over-hyped.

The balance of the article is around the mark.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You’re probably right but at least those two are versatile enough to move around when required - Daniel is obviously an elite HBF and McLean is capable inside 50. Dunks should never leave the centre and trying to shoe horn forward so much over the last 3 years was silly.

How we line up in the midfield is going to be very interesting this year - I worry for Treloar.
    It's a big watch isn't it. We seriously need the pace of Treloar & Smith around the ball as much as possible so how we balance the midfield minutes of the main core (Bont, Libba, Macrae, Smith & Treloar) will be fascinating... would hope we see one of Treloar & Smith in the middle at all times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I get the worry but he really couldn’t have been more reassuring in that practice match. In choppy conditions he still got 90m onto a lot of possession chains, which is his whole deal at his best.

I’m more worried (for the first half of 2023 anyway) about Barry. His disposal is as unpolished as ever and his pre-season has been every bit as limited. Concerned he’s gonna take a month or two to knock the rust off and given our early draw it’s a luxury we can’t afford.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A) The speculation of the culture challenges at the club last year was very strong and it does appear that we addressed it at the end of last season.
    B) Players don't appear to be leaving us because of Bevo so from my perspective that is an assumption that might have been over-hyped.

The balance of the article is around the mark.
    What was the speculation? Or was it about Bevo losing it a bit (Morris etc?). Or Dunks didn't think others prepared well enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    What was the speculation? Or was it about Bevo losing it a bit (Morris etc?). Or Dunks didn't think others prepared well enough?
    The distractions with Hunter and the playing group was something that kept getting mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The distractions with Hunter and the playing group was something that kept getting mentioned.
    But that is not a culture issue, that is an issue with personnel.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But that is not a culture issue, that is an issue with personnel.
    That impacted the culture of the group. There were a few that stuck with Lachie and that created a rift.

12. Thanks mjp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it’s a load of bullshit seriously the amount of players we signed up last year yes we lost Dunkley and he was a fantastic player but nobody is writing up articles about Fremantle loosing lobb acres logue meek and also Melbourne loosing Jackson and this year probably kozzie it’s a load of bs

14. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogfan View Post
    I think it’s a load of bullshit seriously the amount of players we signed up last year yes we lost Dunkley and he was a fantastic player but nobody is writing up articles about Fremantle loosing lobb acres logue meek and also Melbourne loosing Jackson and this year probably kozzie it’s a load of bs
    Players moving around is now just a fact of the AFL so that was not and issue for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogfan View Post
    Ummm - they are over here.

Been a lot of criticism of Freo and how they have gone about it in Perth. I think Freo have tried to 'hold' short-term whilst trying to improve for the long-term (Jackson)...but they have seriously compromised both their best 22 (Acres - better than he's given credit for) and depth (Logue, Tucker, Meek). I think best case for them now is (ladder position) 6-8 - and they can sell that - but if it turns into 10-12, well...it's going to be a hard sell (particularly if West Coast continue to suck).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes Dogs 24/7, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Ummm - they are over here.

Been a lot of criticism of Freo and how they have gone about it in Perth. I think Freo have tried to 'hold' short-term whilst trying to improve for the long-term (Jackson)...but they have seriously compromised both their best 22 (Acres - better than he's given credit for) and depth (Logue, Tucker, Meek). I think best case for them now is (ladder position) 6-8 - and they can sell that - but if it turns into 10-12, well...it's going to be a hard sell (particularly if West Coast continue to suck).
    How does Freo explain losing their top goal kicker from last season and a host of good enough players and adding just Jackson back?
    You're right if they miss the 8 and the coasters languish in the bottom third the scribes over there will be all over them.

19. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    How does Freo explain losing their top goal kicker from last season and a host of good enough players and adding just Jackson back?
    You're right if they miss the 8 and the coasters languish in the bottom third the scribes over there will be all over them.
    Well - if you recall they held off on the Lobb trade and I swear that was PR not 'real-life'...aka they wanted to be able to 'sell' the supporters that they wanted to keep him but...

The reality is though that Jackson is a Fremantle boy - East Fremantle junior - and it is almost impossible to overstate how much the average Freo supporter wants 'FREMANTLE PEOPLE' playing for the Fremantle Footy Club. So as long as they got Jackson, no-one cared. And yep - I know the clubs greatest players list includes people like Pavlich (SA), Mundy (Vic) etc - but everyone forgets that...it is all Freo all the time with those guys.

So what about Lobb and Logue etc I hear you ask - aren't they WA boys? Well, yep. But they are from the Swan Valley (Swan Districts footy club juniors) and, well - Freo people don't care about Swan Districts. Of course, Michael Walters is from Swan Districts and was holding his fingers in an 'M' sign for 'MIDLAND' after goals in 2022 (not that there were many of them)...I guess most Freo people know 'vaguely' where Midland is (inland suburb, 30 mins from Perth) but most couldn't imagine ever actually GOING there...

It's a strange dynamic over here, what can I tell you. West Coast supporters just want to win-win-win and can't imagine why any player:
    a/. Wouldn't want to play for them.
    b/. Would ever leave them.

Freo supporters want to win (of course) but they want to do it on THEIR terms. With Freo players/coaches/staff etc. Hence Peter Bell (South Fremantle junior) is an ideal Head of Footy and Longmuir - ex Freo player despite coming from the bush/West Perth zone an ideal coach.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Thanks 1eyedog, josie, Smads57, azabob, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, Bulldog Joe, Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He's not wrong.

Cultural questions - we've all asked them. Dunks comments - we all wonder what the truth is about the culture and what is 'WRONG' ('cos it often looks like something is wrong). Bevo is a unique talent as a coach but he DOES do some things that drive all of us crazy - when I posted a thread about this with a poll the responses were many and varied. We ARE skinny for small defenders and goodness knows what's gonna happen if Doc is out for an extended time (and he's getting old so that is highly likely). We DO have a tough draw to start the season.

Hell - he could have added in "what are they thinking with that forward line", "Do they have any idea what they will get from Rory Lobb or Liam Jones", "Is Tim English EVER going to deliver on his promise in a game that matters" and "Is there any chance that Alex Keath returns to 2021 form 'cos they darn well need him". And on top of that, he could have added in the David King "They still don't have a true intercept player on their list" angle as well.

Plus, he used the word "Elucidating" - that's a 50-cent word in ANY article.

If you think we will slide, there are a lot of reasons why it could happen...
    I'll bite on one point.
    Alex Keath had played one good season as a KPD and multiple as an interceptor. The answer may be staring us in the face (and create a second problem!)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers