Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned Round 1 2021 v Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    1. Alex Keath is more than a good player.
    Not disagreeing with you, but i wasnt a fan of him last night. I thought he looked out of position and made silly mistakes. Granted its hard to see the small things at the ground so will wait to watch the replay. But keen to read the key things you saw in him last night.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but i wasnt a fan of him last night. I thought he looked out of position and made silly mistakes. Granted its hard to see the small things at the ground so will wait to watch the replay. But keen to read the key things you saw in him last night.
    He really hates the standing mark rule! After he got pinged for the 50, he would really overemphasise leaning to the side, it was actually pretty funny. I'm not sure he's at his fittest right now, looked to fatigue badly late in the game, leading to that really poor kick to Daniel that almost coughed up a scoring shot out of nothing for the Pies.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He really hates the standing mark rule! After he got pinged for the 50, he would really overemphasise leaning to the side, it was actually pretty funny. I'm not sure he's at his fittest right now, looked to fatigue badly late in the game, leading to that really poor kick to Daniel that almost coughed up a scoring shot out of nothing for the Pies.
    spot on. the standing on the mark killed me, did it a second time and wasnt pinged in the last qtr thankfully. Overall I thought our defence looked patchy last night, we were lucky collingwood didnt really put the screws in and play risk taking football. they looked much more dangerous forward than we did.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

spot on. the standing on the mark killed me, did it a second time and wasnt pinged in the last qtr thankfully. Overall I thought our defence looked patchy last night, we were lucky collingwood didnt really put the screws in and play risk taking football. they looked much more dangerous forward than we did.
    Bevo mentioned that teams will look to 'retreat' more and create 'density' in defence (so basically flooding I guess), I get the feeling he just doesn't believe in playing the game that way which is why we push high and are susceptible to the quick ones over the back after turn over. He sticks to his principles, for better or worse.

We have to find a way to combat the 'density' in our own forward half though, it's a major stumbling block right now.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    1. Beating Collingwood feels gooood
    2. Smith on long term contract please, future captain of the club and insane footballer
    3. Rucks are now a strength, not a weakness, in a midfield full of stars
    Is he signed up yet?

I'd consult a contract status page if we had one.

7. Likes EasternWest, azabob, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone notice quite a few players hanging back from the mark, so in effect having noone on the mark, in order to move laterally? How is that to be umpired?

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo mentioned that teams will look to 'retreat' more and create 'density' in defence (so basically flooding I guess), I get the feeling he just doesn't believe in playing the game that way which is why we push high and are susceptible to the quick ones over the back after turn over. He sticks to his principles, for better or worse.

We have to find a way to combat the 'density' in our own forward half though, it's a major stumbling block right now.
    Same old issues for us really. Need clean delivery in, good team movement to create space and hard pressure from quick players when the ball comes to ground. Didn't see much of that outside the first 5 minutes.

Fingers crossed Barass and McGovern dont rip us apart in the air like May and Lever.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

1. Stef Martin will be one of the most significant recruits in 2021 in terms of improving the fortunes of his new club - the flow-on effects of his arrival are already obvious for English, our stoppage game, our midfield positioning at stoppages

2. Libba is top 25 in the competition. Has a remarkably high footy IQ

3. Gardner and Keath are both playing 1 level above their pay grade. Imagine a Darcy Moore or Steven May as our #1 key defender, then Gardner as the lock down Morris replacement and Keath as the 3rd tall Tom Stewart style interceptor. We'd be flag favourites.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Did anyone notice quite a few players hanging back from the mark, so in effect having noone on the mark, in order to move laterally? How is that to be umpired?
    yeh i did - not sure it gives an advantage though as the player then cant move forward toward the kicking player. Essentially just gives them more space to load up their kick
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

This season seems to be all about speed so Wallis might flounder.
    Williams is developing into AA contention.
    Hunter is a terrible kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

3. Gardner and Keath are both playing 1 level above their pay grade. Imagine a Darcy Moore or Steven May as our #1 key defender, then Gardner as the lock down Morris replacement and Keath as the 3rd tall Tom Stewart style interceptor. We'd be flag favourites.
    We already have him in the side, he's just playing at the wrong end

14. Likes DOG GOD, Sedat, 1eyedog, Rocket Science, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We already have him in the side, he's just playing at the wrong end
    Well said Comrade.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

1) In one game our stubborn approach to having two ruckman has been answered. The tandem worked.
    2) Williams is becoming a very important player for us.
    3) Gardner and Keath need a 3rd tall to help them out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Sedat, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was terrific last night. I watched the replay this morning and I think Duck mentioned that he is such a good player because he knows when to mark and when to spoil, and he did this to great effect last night. He's kind of two players in one. He has the ability to take intercept marks yet has honed his craft as a lock down defender the past two seasons. He's not awesome at the latter yet, but his heightened decision making and ability to read the ball through the air were first rate last night.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

19. Likes Twodogs, Happy Days, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    1. Stef Martin will be one of the most significant recruits in 2021 in terms of improving the fortunes of his new club - the flow-on effects of his arrival are already obvious for English, our stoppage game, our midfield positioning at stoppages
    He's like a more polished Ben Hudson for mine.

Does all the team things and is a workhorse in the ruck, but is also reasonably skilled.

Always liked him at Brisbane and have really liked what I've seen from him so far. Seems like a terrific bloke.
    "It's over. It's all over."

21. Likes Sedat, merantau liked this post