Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crimes Against Humanity (aka following the dogs)

Georgie Bissett missing out on a Brownlow. Last round of the season, Bissett gets reported after playing a blistering game. Umpires give him no votes, yet on Monday he is cleared by the tribunal. Kevin Murray wins the Brownlow by a couple of votes over Bissett who should have had the three.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club notifying members of a great recruit, Tom Alvin, coming to the team from our recruiting zone and Carlton stealing him.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Riewoldt taking a dive after Brian Lake brushed passed him in the 2009 Preliminary Final. Been debated to no end on this forum but in my view was totally against the spirit of the game and he's the only bloke in the competition that free kick would have been paid to. Makes my blood boil to this day.

Post Thanks / Like

The Afl banned the flick pass in early to mid 60's. Teddy Whitten and the boys had perfected the flick pass and we reached the 1961 Grand Final using this great weapon. It was sensational to watch. It was said that the umpires complained to the VFL that they couldn't tell if the ball was hit with the open hand or thrown although rumours at the time suggested other Clubs were behind the ban.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The Afl banned the flick pass in early to mid 60's. Teddy Whitten and the boys had perfected the flick pass and we reached the 1961 Grand Final using this great weapon. It was sensational to watch. It was said that the umpires complained to the VFL that they couldn't tell if the ball was hit with the open hand or thrown although rumours at the time suggested other Clubs were behind the ban.
    Great call!
    It was like bodyline being brought in to stop Bradman, the cradle cannon banned in billiards to stop Walter Lindrum and Mohammad Ali being conscripted at the height of his powers. Desparate measures to stop a great.

Post Thanks / Like

The inexplicable lack of a free kick paid against Max Rooke after cannoning front on into Brad Johnson as he attempted to mark in the final quarter of the 2008 preliminary final. OK, we probably would have still lost the game but Rooke kicking a goal straight after giving away a blatant free killed the contest.

8. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yeah but isn't your sight the equivalent of Trooper Vanderbilt from F Troop?
    Who said that? Come out I can hear you!

If it was just me then I'd agree with you but everybody around me were high fiving each other until somebody said "Hang on. The goal umpire said it was a point"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Neil Sachse was shaping as being a gun recruit until he was poleaxed and made a quadriplegic.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron James - R.I.P
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Georgie Bissett missing out on a Brownlow. Last round of the season, Bissett gets reported after playing a blistering game. Umpires give him no votes, yet on Monday he is cleared by the tribunal. Kevin Murray wins the Brownlow by a couple of votes over Bissett who should have had the three.
    This is the incident that started my bitterness....

Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallet leaving the club but expecting to coach until the end of the year. Really played havoc with my emotions.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Davidson wasting our only rookie spot and our donors cash.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Rhode

The 2003 Trade Week

Tom Williams' limbs

Aka's op-ed on gay AFL players

And I thought everything had been covered
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Changing our name to The Western Bulldogs. A vague name that does not associate us with any particular region. Confuses the dickins out of people in Western Australia.

If they were going to change our name I would have preferred Western Suburbs or even Western Melbourne.

I think that it was changed from Footscray as the name seemed to be too lower class and not able to attract sponsors. Maybe we should have been playing the lower-class card and attracted more government grants.

Post Thanks / Like

Changing our jumper back to the old premiership style. We won the 1954 premiership because we were the better side, not because our jumper helped.

The jumper is mainly blue coloured that doesn't stand out, fading somewhat into the background, It has a red and white band that looks like we have been chopped in half and are bleeding.

In short, it looks like a dogs breakfast.

Worst of all it was us, the fans who voted it back in.

We need a complete redesign of our jumper, colours and designs play a significant role in our lives and can influence how well we live, work and play.