Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time for Easton to relinquish the captaincy?

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    For anyone scratching their head on who's left the group it's Roughead and Redpath. I had totally forgotten Redpath was part of the group this year.
    Redpath - that was surely a joke. I really thought it was a stupid move to put him in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    For anyone scratching their head on who's left the group it's Roughead and Redpath. I had totally forgotten Redpath was part of the group this year.
    I'm confident that Roughead would have been a positive influence and Redpath might have been worth a try but we've done very well moving Wallis and Trengove into the leadership group.

I was very impressed with Trengove at the East meets West night, a real natural leader and clubman
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to have Wally and Trengove added to the group. Well done to both.

Post Thanks / Like

Big fan of both Trengove and Wally, glad to see them promoted into leadership roles.
    I'd given Easton another year with Captain, assess how this season goes and take it from there.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Big fan of both Trengove and Wally, glad to see them promoted into leadership roles.
    I'd given Easton another year with Captain, assess how this season goes and take it from there.
    Sounds like a decent plan to me. The problem might be that he does too good of a job as captain though and Bont might just have to wait

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sounds like a decent plan to me. The problem might be that he does too good of a job as captain though and Bont might just have to wait
    Is that a problem tho?
    Bont is a great Vice, keep him there for now, gives him responsibility without the full pressure of captainship, and allows him to continue to focus on building his game.

He'll be captain sooner or later, but I still reckon Easton has a bit left in him in that role.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a problem tho?
    Bont is a great Vice, keep him there for now, gives him responsibility without the full pressure of captainship, and allows him to continue to focus on building his game.

He'll be captain sooner or later, but I still reckon Easton has a bit left in him in that role.
    Nice problem to have I reckon. The club has annointed Bont as the captain in waiting and as long as he is happy with the set up and comfortable growing into the role then it's great that we have a succession plan involving great players and leaders like Easton and the Bont.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Nice problem to have I reckon. The club has annointed Bont as the captain in waiting and as long as he is happy with the set up and comfortable growing into the role then it's great that we have a succession plan involving great players and leaders like Easton and the Bont.
    Exactly. I think Easton does a good job as Cap, i mean, 2016 and all..

Question is, who becomes Vice when Bont becomes Cap? Or is that thinking to far ahead?

Post Thanks / Like

Question is, who becomes Vice when Bont becomes Cap? Or is that thinking to far ahead?

Personally I like Dunkley as Bont's prospective 2IC. The other players seem to stop and listen when Dunkley speaks. He commands respect.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a problem tho?

Definitely not a problem but what happens if Wood keeps the spot for 2 years and Bont hasn't signed on for his next contract?

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not a problem but what happens if Wood keeps the spot for 2 years and Bont hasn't signed on for his next contract?
    You really think Bont would walk over not being given captaincy? Doesn’t seem to be that type of character, but I could be wrong.

i like the 2 year contract idea with 98% of our players, but Bont was one I really wanted them to lock him in for 5 to 6 years, disappointed they didn’t.

Post Thanks / Like

You really think Bont would walk over not being given captaincy? Doesn’t seem to be that type of character, but I could be wrong.

i like the 2 year contract idea with 98% of our players, but Bont was one I really wanted them to lock him in for 5 to 6 years, disappointed they didn’t.
    It's more around the fact that I don't think we can offer the captaincy to any player if they aren't signed on for at least 2 years

Post Thanks / Like

Is that part of the lure though. Easton's time is done 2 years and we start negotiations with Bonti a year prior to his contract expiring; hopefully off the back of two good seasons for him and a list coming into its prime?
    Its sounds like a tantalising bait to have in front of him as he contemplates coming into free agency.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends how the side is performing, how the list looks and how the coach is going as well. To think that hanging onto Bont after his current contract is dependent on whether he gets the captaincy is a bit narrow for mine.

If we want to keep him captaincy is just one of a myriad of incentives that need to be tabled, most important of them is stability and the genuine prospect of prosperity on field and off.

The offers for his services will be thick and fast, and higher than what we will be able to offer. I despair if captaincy is our ace in the pack.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Its always wise to plan ahead and foolish not too. I'd love to see Tom Boyd move into this role at some point. Although it seems unlikely at this stage, I think he would make a terrific leader. If this were to eventuate it would mean Tom is over his health issues and he'd be playing good footy. More responsibility could be the making of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Personally I like Dunkley as Bont's prospective 2IC. The other players seem to stop and listen when Dunkley speaks. He commands respect.
    Dunks is a ripper and would certainly slide into that position nicely IMO as well.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.