Thanks Thanks:  241
Likes Likes:  1,395
Page 15 of 131 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Smith is that fast. He could break lines down back. I love everything about this kid. When he doesn't have the ball he gets really involved creating options.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He will be a star
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Bailey Smith is the Round 9 Rising Star nominee.
    Excellent news. I have a pineapple on him @ 26/1 to win the award.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

4. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's special in the way that Cooney was, and that's a big call from me because I absolutely believe that Cooney was the biggest loss to the game of all midfielders and prime movers ever.

Once his confidence grows he'll start running forward of the ball and he'll kick goals on the run in the same way Cooney and a former captain did with aplomb. The sky is the limit for this lad.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos, overdue.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Limited pre-season, but unlimited potential for Dogs' Rising Star

IT'S A mouth-watering prospect for Western Bulldogs fans: if teenage draftee Bailey Smith is starring on such a limited preparation, what heroics will he perform when he gets a few full pre-seasons under his belt?

The Bulldogs' first pick, at No.7 overall, in last year's NAB AFL Draft, Smith was in rehab before Christmas with an Achilles injury that sidelined him for the second half of last season and didn't join full training with the Dogs until late January.

The ultra-professional 18-year-old also figured in barely a half in both of the Dogs' JLT Community Series hitouts, but he has belied this less-than-ideal lead-in to play every game so far this season and add some freshness and running power to the Dogs' midfield.

Smith is averaging 71 per cent game time, 17 possessions (seven contested), four tackles, three inside 50s and two clearances. He is also fourth at the club in tackles and sixth in contested possessions.

He received the round nine nomination for the NAB AFL Rising Star award after being one of the Bulldogs' best players in their 44-point loss to Geelong at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday night, gathering personal-best 28 possessions (the third-most afield), including 10 contested possessions, along with five clearances.

The athletic youngster went at 89 per cent disposal efficiency – second-best for the Bulldogs – and post-match his coach Luke Beveridge credited him with getting the Dogs going again in the third quarter.

Chances are it was Beveridge who gave Smith a vote in the AFL Coaches Association award.

The respect is mutual, as becomes clear when we asked Smith to explain how he has made such significant inroads despite his lack of preparation.

"It's a credit to 'Bevo', the coaching staff and the players to instil in me the confidence and belief in myself, particularly after I didn't train as much preparation as I would have liked because I was injured over the pre-season," he told AFL.com.au.

"And for Bevo to give me time in the midfield as a first-year player is not something I take for granted.

"The midfield group have also helped my transition – they do a good job of making me feel like a valued member of our midfield.

"I'm just so grateful."

The considered Smith seemed reluctant to take any credit himself until pressed.

"I've taken every opportunity as it has come and I've just tried to run with it. At the start I was just stoked to be training and running around with my teammates and getting to know them better. I got happy about little things like that," he said.

"I haven't been over-thinking things. I've been going with the flow and trying to be like water, which just moulds to everything. Just trying to adapt to every situation and make the most of whatever hand you're dealt.

"Having a positive mindset has helped because there were times in the pre-season where I wasn't sure if I was as good as these boys. But the more I got out there the more confidence the coaches and my teammates instilled in me."

The former Xavier College student captained Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup (now the NAB League) under-18 competition before confirming his draft currency with a dominant NAB AFL U18 Championship in which he averaged 25 touches to claim Vic Metro's MVP award and All Australian selection.

Just as he was flying, he was grounded with the season-ending Achilles bursitis. However, he happily reports that he's now completely over the issue.

Although he attributes his recovery to the Bulldogs medicos, Smith's already renowned work ethic and meticulousness have also been key factors.

He worked so hard in his first AFL pre-season that veteran teammate Matt Suckling said Smith had already sculpted the "best rig" at the club.

The youngster also learned crucial lessons during an early stay with Dogs skipper Easton Wood, who impressed upon him the importance of finding a better life balance by easing his preparation obsession, learning to switch off and rewarding himself. He says eccentric teammate Tom Liberatore has also been a pivotal mentor in this area.

Smith and Essendon star Zach Merrett share a great-grandfather, Richmond's dual club champion and 1943 premiership wingman Leo Merrett. However, the Bulldog and the Bomber have never met. That might finally happen when the distant relations meet on the field for the first time in round 21.

By then Smith's eye-catching blond mullet might well be a few centimetres longer.

"It was a haircut I always aspired to have but going to a boys' school they're pretty strict with hair, so when I finished school I let it flow," Smith said.

He has other reasons to keep cultivating his mane of hair, given he has joined the Mullets for the Kids campaign to raises money and awareness for the Royal Children's Hospital.

"Doing it for a purpose is really rewarding," he said.

9. Thanks bulldogtragic, Bulldog4life, Remi Moses, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watching him you can see that he has “it”. Beautiful mover, uses it well and can turn on the jets at will.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs first-round pick Bailey Smith earns AFL Rising Star nomination for 28-disposal game against Geelong

Bailey Smith has done a bit of pinching himself in his debut AFL season, but Saturday night’s game against Geelong took the cake.

As the Western Bulldogs’ young gun looked across the GMHBA surface he saw idols as well as rivals.

“I flew up to the Gold Coast to watch Gaz (Gary Ablett) train a few years ago and I got a photo of me and him. He was my favourite player growing up,” Smith said.

“My manager is Paul Connors, who also manages Tom Lynch, so we went up got to watch a closed session. I’ve still got the notes I took from their training.

“It was awesome seeing Gaz. I actually sent him the photo a couple of weeks ago on ‘Insta’ and he got back to me which was cool.”

Smith admits to the odd dose of being starstruck, but the Dogs’ teenager — the No. 7 pick in last year’s draft — put it to one side with an excellent 28-disposal game against the ladder-leaders.

It was a performance that made Smith the Round 9 Rising Star nominee.

Although he did cop some good-natured lip from Tom Stewart over his hair.

“He didn’t like my haircut too much, but I spoke to him after. He’s a good bloke,” Smith said.

“It’s all good fun, I suppose, and once you’re out there is just competitive.”

“It’s an honour to be recognised for my efforts and join some good company already nominated this year,” he said.

“It was a tough day and frustrating not to get the win, but a good growing experience for me and a couple other boys as well.”

Smith has found strong religious faith this year and attends Sunday mass in Malvern when he can.

“I read at mass every month or two so I’m on the rotation there,” he said.

“I find it’s something that keeps me grounded and freshens me up for the week and helps put things into perspective.”

12. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a genuine whole-package midfielder, which is really rare.

Capable of winning the contested footy and clearances, but also has pace and a beautiful kick when he gets some space. Can't wait to watch this kid develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Just watching him you can see that he has “it”. Beautiful mover, uses it well and can turn on the jets at will.
    There was a game earlier in the year that had reached the moment when someone had to stand up and Bailey runs through the middle of the pack and virtually lifted the ball out of an opposition player's hands, turned on the jets and powered away from the contest. The opposition players may as well not have been there. Bailey was playing the game all by himself at that stage. There are going to be games in the future where the other 41 players will have to bring their own ball to the game if they are planning on getting a kick because Bailey Smith will be dominating the match ball.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Bailey. I can see why we were so keen to draft him. Now this kid is the full "package".

Post Thanks / Like

It’s been a very promising start to his career.. really want to see him start to use his ability to burst away from the stoppage rather than to look to handball.

His ratio of kicks to handballs is also something we need to address given he kicks the ball efficiently, 9 to 19 like it was on the weekend isn’t where we need it, but I’m sure as he becomes more comfortable he’ll get this turned around.

Looking forward to watching him develop as the season unfolds.

Post Thanks / Like

The standard offer to good first year draftees is two years, around mid to mid/late season. Do we offer him the standard two or different? The question of offering him an extension is settled.

(Naughton only wanted the one year extension in his first year. Which was a good move by him and his manager as it happens)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Bailey Williams. Great start to your bulldogs career.