Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I do feel sorry for all the people out there that are scared of invisible spears.
    My fear is not the invisible spear/boomerang, it a genuine fear of a numb-nut reciprocating. I think if this was directed at a red-neck with a full coke bottle in his hand (or something worse), Goodes' action could incite violence.

I love the idea of a 'war-dance', just don't direct it at the crowd.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    My fear is not the invisible spear/boomerang, it a genuine fear of a numb-nut reciprocating. I think if this was directed at a red-neck with a full coke bottle in his hand (or something worse), Goodes' action could incite violence.

I love the idea of a 'war-dance', just don't direct it at the crowd.
    Same here. It was a mistake and should never have been directed towards the fans. He wants to be respected by the fans so he has to at least have a think about some of his actions going forward.

I'm glad our club put their hand up and provided support and there has been significant amount of progress made in the last week. If commonsense prevails, this can all be put behind us.

I'm glad our club put their hand up and provided support.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    If he'd made the speech at any other ceremony or function, it would not have reached its intended audience.

When you stand up for something, you don't ask the people you're standing up to for permission. You don't ask them what time would be more convenient for them.

Same goes for the war dance. I've heard twits on the radio compare it to the haka, and claim he should have directed it at the opposition like the Kiwis do. Well, the opposition players weren't booing him. In fact, they've mostly come out in support.

Did he need to ask for approval to stand up to the crowd? NO.

The 13 year old. It's not his fault she said what she said. Maybe he could have handled it differently if she'd blurted it out at a different place and time, but that's not what happened. Did he need to ask permission to take offence? NO.

Is Adam Goodes sometimes inciteful? Even divisive? You betcha. And rightly so! Those freedoms were hard fought.
    Have a think about that for a moment. If that's good for Adam, we therefore must allow others to do their 'war dances', anytime they please at any point in a game. Muslims, Pacific Islanders, or whoever. And they can direct these dances at the crowd. Do you really think this is a good idea?

In all of this, the Bulldogs have been great. Why? Mainstream ( White ) Australian culture suffers from an acute identity crisis. The risk is they can avoid the work needed to do something about this by pointing the finger at others ( Reclaim Australia gah ).
    Western Bulldogs come out and say, Be Loud, Be fair. Be fair, yes. I'm in China right now and I can tell you this is certainly a value we need to cherish, because it simply does not exist in other countries - a sense that we must be fair. Our club is showing us the way forward. The loudness and boorishness can be turned into a strength. The idea of a fair go, which we have to keep working at.

Speaking of fairness, I can't believe I have to barrack for Adelaide this Friday. Surely there must be another way
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Have a think about that for a moment. If that's good for Adam, we therefore must allow others to do their 'war dances', anytime they please at any point in a game. Muslims, Pacific Islanders, or whoever. And they can direct these dances at the crowd. Do you really think this is a good idea?
    I'm sure it'd be a massive problem. There's a whole tide of players preparing war dances for that very scenario so we must be careful not to open the floodgates.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. So it wasn't an invisible spear, apparently it was an invisible boomerang. I demand an inquiry into what invisible weapon it actually wasn't.

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'm sure it'd be a massive problem. There's a whole tide of players preparing war dances for that very scenario so we must be careful not to open the floodgates.
    What about dances that AREN"T war dances.........Oh my god....what if everyone just started dancing...........
    Last edited by Dancin' Douggy; 04-08-2015 at 11:14 PM.

8. Likes Twodogs, hujsh, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    In a nutshell. Supporting the booers. Non stop, For his entire show.
    Total embarrassing radio . I texted in about moving on and talking about football, but Fine just carries on like a 10 year old.
    Stkilda must have been beaten as he was in a shitty mood .
    He trivialised the whole saga to appeal to his bogon audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    let's be honest, there are knobs (James hired for example) and then there are knobs.
    I'm 100% behind Adam and what he is trying to do, and no question he has come under unfair criticism, but at times to me at least he has acted like a knob.

The Collingwood girl for example, I think it could have been handled in a different way which would have not only brought the issue to light in a positive way, but naming and shaming a minor is something a knob would do.

I understand heat of the moment and what she said was reprehensible, but it could have really been turned into a positive, which it wasn't.

Again to be crystal clear, I'm behind Adam and think he is incredibly resilient and driven in removing the blight on our society that is racism.
    I'm not sure if you're serious, but Goodes pointed to security and pointed to the girl.
    Then the media transpired it into a major story.
    I don't know how on earth Goodes would know the girl is 13, but anyway he met up with the girl the next day .
    This incident has been blown way out of proportion in condemning Goodes.

11. Likes Bulldog4life, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

In all of this, the Bulldogs have been great. Why? Mainstream ( White ) Australian culture suffers from an acute identity crisis. The risk is they can avoid the work needed to do something about this by pointing the finger at others ( Reclaim Australia gah ).
    Western Bulldogs come out and say, Be Loud, Be fair. Be fair, yes. I'm in China right now and I can tell you this is certainly a value we need to cherish, because it simply does not exist in other countries - a sense that we must be fair. Our club is showing us the way forward. The loudness and boorishness can be turned into a strength. The idea of a fair go, which we have to keep working at.

Speaking of fairness, I can't believe I have to barrack for Adelaide this Friday. Surely there must be another way
    That's almost as bad as the line some run with the "why don't other Aboriginal players get booed"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It IS a problem you're right - especially when you consider that footy is really 44 blokes going to war.

War is NO PLACE for GLORY BOY DANCING. Imagine someone stopping on the front lines to dance. That's one less soldier to worry about.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It IS a problem you're right - especially when you consider that footy is really 44 blokes going to war.

War is NO PLACE for GLORY BOY DANCING. Imagine someone stopping on the front lines to dance. That's one less soldier to worry about.
    Footy is not war, mate.

Footy is much more serious.

Post Thanks / Like

Out in some aboriginal community, some kid might decide to copy Adam on a footy field. What happens next might not be so funny.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously?

Players have been celebrating more aggressive than that towards opposition supporters for years.

People are carrying on like he's Eric Cantona when all he did was a little dance.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Same here. It was a mistake and should never have been directed towards the opposition fans. He wants to be respected by the fans so he has to at least have a think about some of his actions going forward.

I'm glad our club put their hand up and provided support and there has been significant amount of progress made in the last week. If commonsense prevails, this can all be put behind us.

I'm glad our club put their hand up and provided support.
    Edited for accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like

The State Government's Bridging The Gap policy is not closing the Gap. Goodwill gestures like Reconciliation Action Plans are not helping with reconciliation. Young Aboriginal children are being abused in communities and the have not recovered from closure / forced removal from country. We have come a long way with regards to Aboriginal rights in this country but it far from equal, and Aboriginal people are coming from a long way back. Funding is limited and decisions are made by the Government or by Government appointed Aboriginal people who cannot speak for all parts of the country. It's not working and Aboriginal society in many ways is going backwards.

The voice is not being heard. Adam Goodes is a board member of Supply Nation so he sees first hand how disadvantaged his people are. His dance was as much for his people as it was to the boos of opposition fans. I repeat, the Aboriginal voice(s) is not being heard and it is left to the few, high profile Aboriginal people in this country to rekindle the debate. The only way to do this is to get everyone talking about it and that is what he has done, even to the detriment of his relationship with white middle Australia. He'll be remembered fondly by Aboriginal people in this country, and in the end that is all he and the communities are really focused on at the moment.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

20. Likes bornadog, Murphy'sLore, jeemak liked this post