Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,155
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There's new nickname that I didn't see coming...........!

I agree that keeping up with technology and always developing your skills is important.
    I couldn't be bothered saying "Stay Gold"

So many people let their skill level decline late in their professional careers because it's working now and they will worry about tomorrow somewhere down the track.
    The problem is things change quickly when new systems and processes are implemented and the goal post changes.
    I've seen it catch so many people over the years and their strength in one system becomes their downfall in another because they can't or won't adapt.
    As BAD can confirm, I used to have to deliver training and then support in a new system that was being implemented. The ones that fought it or didn't embrace the new way more than often didn't survive.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As BAD can confirm, I used to have to deliver training and then support in a new system that was being implemented. The ones that fought it or didn't embrace the new way more than often didn't survive.
    That couple of years I spent on that project led me to a career change. After working in Asia for 7 years as a Finance Director, I came back to Australia to find it difficult to get the job I wanted. Every job I applied for I got the comments that I had been out of Australia for too long, even though I had vast experience in a number of Asian countries. Australia is a very conservative country and I sought of agree that when you start to get towards your 50s, you have to really work hard to get the role you want.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't be bothered saying "Stay Gold"

So many people let their skill level decline late in their professional careers because it's working now and they will worry about tomorrow somewhere down the track.
    The problem is things change quickly when new systems and processes are implemented and the goal post changes.
    I've seen it catch so many people over the years and their strength in one system becomes their downfall in another because they can't or won't adapt.
    Roll with it or it rolls over you. I say it to all of our junior guys.
    Embrace the change, soon enough it will become a full revolution (in the circular sense).

6. Likes GVGjr, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That couple of years I spent on that project led me to a career change. After working in Asia for 7 years as a Finance Director, I came back to Australia to find it difficult to get the job I wanted. Every job I applied for I got the comments that I had been out of Australia for too long, even though I had vast experience in a number of Asian countries. Australia is a very conservative country and I sought of agree that when you start to get towards your 50s, you have to really work hard to get the role you want.
    I'd like think that has changed now but it would have been very relevant at the time.
    It all depends on what you do but if you are standing still you are going backwards in most professional work environments and it's on most of us to keep up and enhancing our skill levels.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Roll with it or it rolls over you. I say it to all of our junior guys.
    Embrace the change, soon enough it will become a full revolution (in the circular sense).
    It's great advice.

10. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In fact you'd be abnormal if you don't do it.
    Today I learned I'm abnormal.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I just learned I'm boring normal 3 jobs over 42 years. 5 years the first job, 10 years in the 2nd job and working on retiring after 27 years in the 3rd.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Me too, same employer for 23 years straight out of uni. It's the golden handcuffs (super).

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I just learned I'm boring normal 3 jobs over 42 years. 5 years the first job, 10 years in the 2nd job and working on retiring after 27 years in the 3rd.
    No, you're beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, man.
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    That's impressive. You're a nester. That's why you've stuck with the Bulldogs Clearly the companies value your work.
    I've racked up just short of 35 years in the last 2 companies after starting my working life as a box boy

I didn't give up on my dreams of being a professional footballer for the Dogs until I was about 40.
    The test cricketer dream was shelved a few years after that

Jeemak needs to do a Kramer and get ready for the senior tour on the golfing circuit. He just needs Stan the caddy's guidance
    Last edited by GVGjr; 24-01-2022 at 07:54 PM. Reason: ..

20. Likes Hotdog60, Max469, jeemak, EasternWest, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's impressive. You're a nester. That's why you've stuck with the Bulldogs Clearly the companies value your work.
    I've racked up just short of 35 years in the last 2 companies after starting my working life as a box boy

I didn't give up on my dreams of being a professional footballer for the Dogs until I was about 40.
    The test cricketer dream was shelved a few years after that

Jeemak needs to do a Kramer and get ready for the senior tour on the golfing circuit. He just needs Stan the caddy's guidance
    The way I'm hitting them I'm no chance, not even with Stan's insights/ help.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The way I'm hitting them I'm no chance, not even with Stan's insights/ help.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL star breaks silence after quitting over refusal to get vaccine

Liam Jones has broken his silence after sensationally retiring from the AFL over his refusal to get vaccinated against Covid, saying he's still 'got his best footy ahead'.

The former Carlton star walked away from a $500,000 contract after the league instituted a vaccinate mandate for all players to have received their first dose by December 6, 2021.

Jones, 30, said he was stepping away due to 'personal reasons' but refused to make further comment on his reasoning, with reports emerging he had refused to get the jab.

'I wish to announce my retirement from AFL football effective immediately,' he said in a shock statement last year.

'I want to take this opportunity to thank all who have supported me throughout my journey, both personally and professionally. I love the game and I'll miss my teammates.

'I hope that people respect my decision and privacy – neither myself or my management team will be making any further comment on the matter.'

The key defender spoke to reporters at his first training session for his new Queensland club footy side on Monday, claiming his 'best footy is still ahead of me'.

'It's hard moving on but it's the situation we're in,' Jones said, responding to questions whether he would re-join the AFL if the mandate was dropped.

'I'm as fit as I've ever been. It's one of those things, it's not in anyone's control, it's the world really.'

The 30-year-old Tasmanian, who will play for Palm Beach Currumbin's Aussie Rules team on the Gold Coast, said he would consider playing in the country's premier competition again if circumstances changed.

'I'll cross that bridge when I come to it,' Jones said.

'In my opinion I've still got my best footy ahead of me.'

'It's hard moving on but it's the situation we're in,' Jones said, responding to questions whether he would re-join the AFL if the mandate was droppedĀ© Provided by Daily Mail 'It's hard moving on but it's the situation we're in,' Jones said, responding to questions whether he would re-join the AFL if the mandate was dropped
    Jones was the first to quit due to the vaccine rule, with three other stars' futures also in jeopardy.

West Coast Eagles key forward Jack Darling remains unvaccinated and undecided on whether he will get the jab.

Brisbane's Cam Ellis Yolmen has been relegated to the Lions' reserve grade side after he refused to get the vaccine, while North Melbourne's Jed Anderson is waiting for Novovax.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...?ocid=msedgntp

24. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he changes his decisions about being vaxed if he could rejoin a team in the mid season draft.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he changes his decisions about being vaxed if he could rejoin a team in the mid season draft.
    Would you grab him if we had the opportunity?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.